Best Halloween Movies to Watch

Halloween is my favorite. I really enjoyed the remake as well.

I enjoyed the remake to an extent but didn't really buy the angle Zombie was putting onto it in giving Michael Myers a back story and essentially humanizing him. It made him more sympathetic in the scope of the film itself, but as a whole the character is meant to be inhuman and a complete monster. Is the sequel any good? Never got around to seeing it.

Halloween is my favorite. I really enjoyed the remake as well.

I enjoyed the remake to an extent but didn't really buy the angle Zombie was putting onto it in giving Michael Myers a back story and essentially humanizing him. It made him more sympathetic in the scope of the film itself, but as a whole the character is meant to be inhuman and a complete monster. Is the sequel any good? Never got around to seeing it.

Nah, it wasn't that great.

Anybody who considers themselves a fan of the actual holiday and it's traditions should love Trick r' Treat. It's become a annual rite for me and a friend.

Zombie was marketed as Zombi 2 in Europe because the original Dawn of The Dead was re-cut and marketed as Zombi over there. When Fulci's film was released here, they renamed it Zombie because there was no Zombi here, making the name Zombi 2 illogical. That European re-cut of the original DOTD was atrocious, btw.

I will never put Argento above Fulci, but then I'm not a fan of giallo. And Argento has issues. How many times has he filmed brutal rape scenes of his daughter? I like me some Asia though. :)

I thought Dead Alive was still considered the goriest movie ever made? Or did the NC-17 version of Murder-Set-Pieces beat it out?

Back to Fulci, Zombie and House By The Cemetary will finally be getting blu-rays on Oct 24th. I WILL own these. Now we need a release date for The Beyond.

Can't believe the Dekker movies have not been mentioned yet. Night of The Creeps and Monster Squad join the Fulci films, Trick r' Treat, the original TCM, Shawn of The Dead, In The Mouth of Madness and The Thing as required viewing every October.

(Edited to fix a couple spelling and grammer errors.)

Agreed on the recut of Dawn of The Dead - I will say that one thing I really enjoyed about Argento's cut of it is his addition of the soundtrack put together by Goblin. I'm a sucker for all of the soundtracks they've done (DOTD, Tenebre, etc), so having that in there as opposed to Romero's traditional choice of library music is really rad.

I can agree too on the point about Argento and his misogynist leanings in his films but I'm a fairly big fan of giallo as a genre and appreciate most of his films including even more recent stuff he's done like The Card Player. It's really stereotypical stuff plotwise, but it's so stylized that I can't resist watching. I have the double disc version of Zombi 2/Zombie and really enjoy it alot. That's easily in my top 5 in terms of zombie flicks. Italian horror is really underrated.

Oh, and Kriss Stress, the Halloween sequel sucked ass. And while I liked his version of the first (probably partly because of Danielle Harris getting butthole naked - her cameo was a good choice), I agree with everything you said. Michael isn't supposed to seem human, he's supposed to be evil incarnate. That's what makes the original soo enjoyable. Not Carpenter's best by a long shot though.

Anybody who considers themselves a fan of the actual holiday and it's traditions should love Trick r' Treat. It's become a annual rite for me and a friend.

Zombie was marketed as Zombi 2 in Europe because the original Dawn of The Dead was re-cut and marketed as Zombi over there. When Fulci's film was released here, they renamed it Zombie because there was no Zombi here, making the name Zombi 2 illogical. That European re-cut of the original DOTD was atrocious, btw.

I will never put Argento above Fulci, but then I'm not a fan of giallo. And Argento has issues. How many times has he filmed brutal rape scenes of his daughter? I like me some Asia though. :)

I thought Dead Alive was still considered the goriest movie ever made? Or did the NC-17 version of Murder-Set-Pieces beat it out?

Back to Fulci, Zombie and House By The Cemetary are finally be getting blu-rays on Oct 24th. I WILL own these. Now we need a release date for The Beyond.

Can't believe the Dekker movies have not been mentioned yet. Night of The Creeps and Monster Squad join the Fulci films, Trick r' Treat, the original TCM, Shawn of The Dead, In The Mouth of Madness and The Thing as required viewing every October.

(Edited to fix a couple spelling and grammer errors.)

I thought Trick r' Treat was pretty awesome.

How in the hell did we both double-post?? Lol.

Can't get into the over saturated colors and hyper-stylized leanings of giallo. I've tried. I've watched the Three Mothers trilogy and Tenebrae.

I liked Danielle Harris in Halloween 4 and 5 when she was smaller. I wish they had done more with her in the continuity of that series due to her ending at the end of 4. Halloween remains my favorite Carpenter film really just because I have so many memories with it, but nowadays I'd say The Fog ties with it for me.

Italian cinema as a whole has that element of over saturated color and over stylization which I really enjoy. I like how in Tenebre, it takes the camera two whole minutes at the beginning to get to the first character due to panning over the rooftops of the building the characters are inside of.

(Sorry everyone for sorta hijacking this thread.)

I like how in Tenebre, it takes the camera two whole minutes at the beginning to get to the first character due to panning over the rooftops of the building the characters are inside of.

Now that I do like. A lot. I have always been a fan of long, continuous camera shots.

My favorite Carpenter movies, in order, are In The Mouth of Madness, The Thing, Big Trouble In Little China, Escape From New York, Halloween and They Live.

We're not hijacking the thread as long as the conversation remains on horror movies - I don't think. If so, I apologize as well.

I'm going to a 30th Anniversary screening of House by the Cemetery on October 22nd, pretty excited about it!

Yup, I pretty much hate you. :)

Our local historic theater, The Louisville Palace, usually has a Universal Horror series this time of year. I haven't seen any mention of it this year though.

Oh, and I need to add the first 2 Alien movies to my list. Must've had a brain fart, cause those 2 should never be left off. After that it goes on feel. Whether it's the Evil Dead series, anything Romero (well, Romero zombies), The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Return of The Living Dead, Ginger Snaps, Slither, The Blob (1988) or Drag Me To Hell, we'll add or subtract to the list. Will include new stuff that's entertaining as it comes out, such as Insidious (which reminded me a lot of a Raimi movie - especially the opening credits).

I'm going to a 30th Anniversary screening of House by the Cemetery on October 22nd, pretty excited about it!

Yup, I pretty much hate you. :)

Our local historic theater, The Louisville Palace, usually has a Universal Horror series this time of year. I haven't seen any mention of it this year though.

Oh, and I need to add the first 2 Alien movies to my list. Must've had a brain fart, cause those 2 should never be left off. After that it goes on feel. Whether it's the Evil Dead series, anything Romero (well, Romero zombies), The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Return of The Living Dead, Ginger Snaps, Slither, The Blob (1988) or Drag Me To Hell, we'll add or subtract to the list. Will include new stuff that's entertaining as it comes out, such as Insidious (which reminded me a lot of a Raimi movie - especially the opening credits).

imo, Drag Me to Hell and The Descent are the only 'good' horror movies released in the last 10 or so years. well, the only good ones i've seen

oh, and Let the Right One In.

I like how in Tenebre, it takes the camera two whole minutes at the beginning to get to the first character due to panning over the rooftops of the building the characters are inside of.

Now that I do like. A lot. I have always been a fan of long, continuous camera shots.

My favorite Carpenter movies, in order, are In The Mouth of Madness, The Thing, Big Trouble In Little China, Escape From New York, Halloween and They Live.

We're not hijacking the thread as long as the conversation remains on horror movies - I don't think. If so, I apologize as well.

I love EFNY but tend to ignore that there was a sequel.

In terms of other movies, I also forgot to add Plan 9 From Outer Space, Dance of The Dead (one of the best independently done zombie films in a long time).

Did anyone else ever watch those Goosebumps Halloween specials as a kid?

Allison - The director of The Descent had a werewolf movie called Dog Soldiers that was very good. Made with little money, so the production values weren't as good as they were in The Descent. And Slither is a really nice homage to Night of The Creeps. It stars Nathan Fillion, and I know you're a Serenity/Firefly fan.

Allison - The director of The Descent had a werewolf movie called Dog Soldiers that was very good. Made with little money, so the production values weren't as good as they were in The Descent. And Slither is a really nice homage to Night of The Creeps. It stars Nathan Fillion, and I know you're a Serenity/Firefly fan.

i've heard of dog soldiers but never watched, so ill put it on my list of ones to see! and YES! i actuallly own slither! totally forgot about it, but it rules too!

Dog Soldiers is great...

and Slither was fantastic. Both great choices.

If you like really out there horror/comedy (ala Dead Alive or Slither) I recommend Blood Diner. It's from the 80's and hard to find, but if you can get a hold of a copy, grab it. It's insane. Here is the synopsis:

Two cannibals/health food diner owners are on a quest to restore life to the five million year old goddess Shitaar. Aided by their uncle's brain and penis, the two set about getting the required parts - virgins, assorted body parts from whores, and the ingredients for a "blood buffet".

Cheesy F/X, blood and gore abound, a wrestling match featuring Little Jimmy Hitler, drugs, sex, and 80's club rock and roll.

Forgot about Motel Hell. But after seeing it posted I now have craving for barbeque.

I like to pretend I live in a world where Escape From LA doesn't exist. It's a happy world.

I've heard the I Spit on Your Grave remake was brutal. Haven't seen it yet. I heard the same about Martyrs, and for once the hype was real.