Awkward Record Store Transactions

kriss

I was just in a store, and everything was 20% off. I grabbed Rollins Band "Life Time." I get to the register and the owner couldn't figure out how to take 20% off, so I had to do it for him. Good times.

What store was this?

this thrift/vintage store in Marblehead. Cool store, except I found some other cool stuff, and then he wouldn't sell it to me, said he wanted to keep it. very odd.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are always 5 or 6 guys selling boxes full of records at flea markets in Philly.. a few months ago I was digging and noticed this guy had beat up billy joel albums priced at $10 and pretty much everything else was way over what it was worth. Nothing obscene, but priced where anyone who's ever looked at used records before would know these were over-priced. There was another vendor set up right next to him, and I started seeing rolling stones records for $5, doors for $4, etc. I say to my wife "this guy at least knows what he's doing, that guy over there has lost his mind". Sure enough, the guy with the overpriced records is sitting in a lawn chair right behind me. He immediately agrees that his stuff is priced high, but that's only so he can "haggle". Awkward exchange follows, and I buy two records from the reasonably priced vendor.

Don't over-price your records and people will buy more of them.. pretty simple, really..

and record stores wonder why they can't get any business and sell records in these "hard economic times". ::)

I always feel judged by buying records at places like Treehouse or Electric Fetus even if they see me in there on a regular basis. fact is, I buy most of my records online and can't afford to go digging at stores very often beyond that.

I stopped by Treehouse Records last Friday and felt judged that I didn't buy anything when I left (sometime's you just can't find anything you want that day).

Roadrunner Records in south Minneapolis is pretty good. They price everything too and sometimes you can find a deal or two.

I'm lucky enough at 3/4 stores in nw Ohio price and aren't terrible. The one had no idea of any sort of records they may have had when asking about certain bands. The other stores are all great, Thursday/envy split for 6 bucks in perfect condition and chill people to talk to made it very pleasant. Thankfully no awkward times except when one clerk was telling people they could hold rsd stuff. I lol'd

Flea markets are, at least for me, a terrible place to find records. they've usually been sitting out in the sun for years and the seller wants lots of monies for them. Never worth it for me to even go through the stacks.

There never seems to be a middle ground - either the vendor is overvaluing the records by a gross margin or has no idea what they're sitting on and practically all but give them away.

Went to Second Hand Rose's Music in NYC on 12th street once and looked at their stuff. I asked for their punk section and she (Rose?) pointed to a corner and it mostly consisted of way overpriced Ramones, Death Cab For Cutie, and Dead Milkmen records. I also asked maybe if she had some Weezer records and she gave me a "why would I carry that" look swore that every "punk" record that comes out now is an 180 gram reissue. Just a weird unpleasant snobbish woman.