Censorship Bill

Yea I was attempting to DL some stuff earlier and that popped up on the site I went to. I exited out of it and kept going with my business. Prank? Spam? No idea.

The Protect IP act in the senate (The SOPA in the House) would allow the government to block access to websites if copyright holders can prove infringement. Sometimes they will block BEFORE infringement is proven.

Anything you see today isn't really blocked, this isn't even law yet, it's more of a show of solidarity against the bill.

Make no mistake though, this is bad news.

Yea I was attempting to DL some stuff earlier and that popped up on the site I went to. I exited out of it and kept going with my business. Prank? Spam? No idea.

The Protect IP act in the senate (The SOPA in the House) would allow the government to block access to websites if copyright holders can prove infringement. Sometimes they will block BEFORE infringement is proven.

Anything you see today isn't really blocked, this isn't even law yet, it's more of a show of solidarity against the bill.

Make no mistake though, this is bad news.

Well damn, I feel like this kinda came out of nowhere. No good.

You can sign an e-petition, and it won't hurt. Often they give other lawmakers a tool in which to demonstrate that there is indeed plenty of people opposed. Petitions with a large volume of signers do get noticed.

You can also learn a little more here if you are interested.

http://americancensorship.org/

i wrote to my Senators (Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand in NY) and received an automated e-mail response from Mr. Schumer:

Thank you for your contacting me in opposition to S.968, the PROTECT IP Act. Like you, I believe that consumers should have access to a vibrant and innovative online community to discuss their ideas and opinions. At the same time, we must not let the internet become a haven for intellectual property thieves.

The threat to intellectual property owners over the internet is clear. Every year, the US Chamber of Commerce estimates that copyright theft costs our nation about $58 billion in lost output, 373,375 in lost jobs, and $16 billion in lost employee earnings. These numbers present an unacceptable burden to US businesses. In addition, companies may be less likely to innovate because their products may be stolen by intellectual property pirates, creating a drag on the US economy.

The PROTECT IP Act addresses the problem of intellectual property theft online, but it also contains important due process protections to ensure that legal activity over the internet is not disrupted. As you may know, the PROTECT IP Act would allow the Department of Justice to file a claim against a website that 1) has no significant purpose other than engaging in or facilitating copyright infringement, circumventing technology controlling access to copyrighted works, or selling or promoting counterfeit goods or services; or (2) is designed, operated, or marketed and used to engage in such activities. A judge would have to find that a website is intentionally violating intellectual property rights of an American entity before he could issue an order against that site. I believe PROTECT IP Act would provide law enforcement and intellectual property holders additional tools to protect American intellectual property from websites while still ensuring the constitutionally protected rights of free speech and due process. The PROTECT IP Act currently is awaiting action on the floor of the Senate, and I will continue to monitor this bill as it moves through the Senate.

Thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can ever be of assistance to you on this, or any other matter.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

United States Senator

Sounds like he supports it. :(

The threat to intellectual property owners over the internet is clear. Every year, the US Chamber of Commerce estimates that copyright theft costs our nation about $58 billion in lost output, 373,375 in lost jobs, and $16 billion in lost employee earnings.

I'd love to see some clarification on this. To me it reads that businesses with broken or out-dated business models can't adapt and think if they can just prevent things from moving forward money and jobs will reappear.

If they spent half the time they did figuring out new and innovative monetization strategies as they did fighting for their old models we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The threat to intellectual property owners over the internet is clear. Every year, the US Chamber of Commerce estimates that copyright theft costs our nation about $58 billion in lost output, 373,375 in lost jobs, and $16 billion in lost employee earnings.

I'd love to see some clarification on this. To me it reads that businesses with broken or out-dated business models can't adapt and think if they can just prevent things from moving forward money and jobs will reappear.

If they spent half the time they did figuring out new and innovative monetization strategies as they did fighting for their old models we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I would like to see that as well. That whole statement sounds like it was written by the RIAA and then spoon fed to the guy.

• 4 weeks later...