KICKSTARTER FOR ZINE PUBLICATIONS!

my girlfriend and i are doing a kickstarter campaign to fund the latest issues of our zines!

my zine is called "earn your sleep", and my girlfriend's is called "bird shit" (her name is robin, get it?).

both are autobiographical stories chronicling times in our lives that made us who we are today. they sort of of follow the regular short story framework, but all add up to the greater story.

we've already self-published several runs of our previous issues, and we've both sold copies to powell's books here in portland. however, it can be quite a costly endeavor, so we need your help!

we are really excited to get our newest releases out there.

pass this link along, and donate if you can. any help would be awesome.

-dean omite

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robinyourgrave/bird-shit-issue-3-and-earn-your-sleep-issue-2

its $650 to print two different runs of two different zines. about 100 of each.

not to mention, if we hit our goal, we have to shell out quite a bit to mail the zines out to all of the backers. with publication, shipping & envelopes, it comes out to about $650. we are taking zero profit.

Guest markovianprocess

This seems exactly how to do a Kickstarter not very well.

Where is the project video?

Where is the in-depth explanation of what the zine is about, and why I should read it? (You've partly mentioned this in the forum, but not at all on the project page)

Are there any samples of where we can find your writing online, so we can evaluate whether you are good writers?

How many pages does each zine have? Does my contribution represent value for money?

I don't think you're giving anyone that doesn't know you personally any reason to donate to your project.

I'd suggest that you look at the level of detail included in the successfully funded projects, like these ones, and focus on amending yours:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1948609795/modernizm-art-zine-3-the-texas-issue?ref=search

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1696910694/next-stop-adventure-5-alaska?ref=search

This seems exactly how to do a Kickstarter not very well.

Where is the project video?

Where is the in-depth explanation of what the zine is about, and why I should read it? (You've partly mentioned this in the forum, but not at all on the project page)

Are there any samples of where we can find your writing online, so we can evaluate whether you are good writers?

How many pages does each zine have? Does my contribution represent value for money?

I don't think you're giving anyone that doesn't know you personally any reason to donate to your project.

I'd suggest that you look at the level of detail included in the successfully funded projects, like these ones, and focus on amending yours:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1948609795/modernizm-art-zine-3-the-texas-issue?ref=search

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1696910694/next-stop-adventure-5-alaska?ref=search

i am taking your constructive advice, and i am amending the campaign accordingly.

thanks for not being a shithead.

i wish someone would pay me to read about my life

...are you meaning to tell me that you haven't bought or read a single bukowski book? you've gotta be fucking kidding me.

seeing as how bukowski is in their signature, i'll say yes. they havent bough or read a single bukowski book

• 2 weeks later...
Guest markovianprocess
You people think that if I made a kickstarter that just was about giving me money to buy stuff and pay rent people would be more willing to donate? At least its being honest opposed to most things on that place.

I don't think it's so bad to ask for funding to print a zine, using it like a pre-order, but I do thing these folks have asked for way too much funding.

All they really need to get started is about $100 - $50 printer, $40 black ink, $10 paper - that is, of course, assuming that they have a computer of any age and they'd be willing to put the effort in, folding and stapling.

Checked out your girl's blog. The first sentence in the first post beings with 'so'. Isn't there a grammatical rule stating that one should never begin a sentence with a conjunction? I guess DIY ethos means saying, "Fuck it" to grammar too.

Also, can I donate more than $150 and get a foot kissing a little higher up?