WANTED: Graphic Novels

cjohnnick

Recently getting into graphic novels. Used to collect comics as a kid, and just now getting back into it. I have a small collection, but I'm looking to buy/trade for more!

Here's what I own/have read already:

All-Star Super Man Vol 1-2

Batman - The Killing Joke

Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

The Death of Superman

Heroes Vol 1-2

Kick-Ass

Kingdom Come

Sandman Vol 1

Superman for all Seasons Vol 1-4

V For Vendetta

Watchmen

Here are a few things that I'm looking for right now (based on recommendations from friends and online):

Animal Man Vol. 1-3

Astonishing X-Men series

Batman - Arkham Asylum

Batman - The Dark Knight Strikes Again

Batman - Hush

Batman - Long Halloween

Batman - Year One

The Joker

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 1-2

Preacher Series

Sandman Series

Spawn Origins series

Ultimate Spiderman series

X-Men: First Class Series

X-Men Marvel Masterworks

Y: The Last Man series

And feel free to recommend me stuff to read, but preferably only if you've got them for sale as well. Let's do this!

Some good recommendations you've got. Long Halloween and Arkham Asylum are fantastic...but so is most of that list. Let me look and see what I've got...I think I'd at least part with Hush (I've read it once and probably won't read it again anytime soon). Also my Long Halloween and Sandmans are the oversized hardcover versions...which I won't part with but are very nice. You can pick them up on eBay for a pretty decent price (at least last time I looked)

If you read The Long Halloween, you need to read Dark Victory as well which acts as the follow up and is probably one of the best versions of Dick Grayson/Robin's introduction I've ever seen. If you like those two books, Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb also did three separate Halloween annuals which got compiled into trade as well. If you read Year 1, you should totally check out Year 100 by Paul Pope - it's not in canon but has a really great speculative bent on it where Batman disappears for decades and then re-appears again. Some of the best Bats material is written in the setting of his first couple of years and all of the above (sans Year 100 obviously) fall into this period of time. Anything from the long running Legends of The Dark Knight series is also great and many of the story arcs in that run have been compiled into trade such as Gothic which is a great early Grant Morrison penned story arc that he later uses to some effect in his 'Batman' epic that he's still to some extent working on even now.

In terms of Batman nowadays as an established character with a family all around, the best place to start is the one two story arc punch of A Death In The Family (which revolves around second Robin Jason Todd's death) and A Lonely Place of Dying (which happens near immediately after and sets up Tim Drake who eventually becomes the third Robin). If you want some idea of how great a character Bane is (and I'm not talking that mute awful brute from the 1997 movie either) and what source material Nolan and co are using for The Dark Knight Rises, grab the Knightfall story arc which was for the most part collected into three trades. Read it to see awesome Bane is and to also see the awful early 90's costume the creators put together for Jane Paul Valley aka Azreal aka The second Batman.

Fast forwarding to the 2000's, Grant Morrison's run on the books has been really polarizing but for the most part I've enjoyed it. Start with Batman and Son which introduces Damien Wayne (the brat who eventually becomes the fifth and current Robin) and move on through R.I.P., Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman and Robin (a GREAT series where Dick Grayson once again takes the Batman mantle and acts as a lighter version while Damien acts as a more series Batman-like Robin) and to a lesser extent Batman Inc (where Bruce essentially franchises out the mantle and takes the Batmen of All Nations idea that's been flirted with since the Silver Age and blows it up). I saw you mentioned Hush, also get Heart of Hush as that acts as a great primer for how Hush's character (one of the best new characters in the rogue's gallery in my opinion) evolves and where he ends up.

Also, anything Jim Aparo drawn gets my vote in terms of Batman stuff so even the cheesier stuff like the 80's series Batman and The Outsiders is a fun read.

In terms of indies, I can't recommend Fables enough. It's 111 issues in at the moment but it's solid almost all the way through and it's worth the read. (I have an extra copy of the 1st trade if you wanna try it out) Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing from issue 20ish is also brilliant but really dense so take that as more of a literary minded book all around. Y: The Last Man is great as well and so is Brian Wood's DMZ (which can be a bit heavy handed politically but is still really interesting). Also, Love and Rockets by the brothers Hernandez is one of my favorite indie comics of all time and has been going since the early 80's and unlike other comics where the characters never age, LaR follows the characters from their teenage years in the early 80's to now when they're almost post middle age. Anything Robert Kirkman writes is also gold so The Walking Dead (regardless of thoughts on the show) is pretty crucial as is his other long running series Invincible and to a lesser extent his shorter lives series like The Astounding Wolf Man as well as Battle Pope.

If you like more perzine/introspective type stuff, Adrian Tomine is great with books like Shortcomings and Summer Blonde while Chris Ware handles the more cynical end with Ghost World (obviously) as well as stuff like his (inconsistently) ongoing Eight Ball and Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron. Chicago comics artist Chris Ware's Acme Novelty Library (most known for the Jimmy Corrigan series of stories) has the most mind blowing art going in all of comics today hands down and the packaging of his volumes are beautiful. The stories can be downers but they're definitely worth the read.

Sorry for the tl; dr - I love comics.

I have Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum and Year One if you're interested. I dunno if you've ever read anything from the Chew series, but those are pretty cool, but they aren't exactly in the genre that you seem to be looking for.

I'd be interested. What did you have in mind for those 3?

+1 kirss stress. I wanted to make a long post myself but resisted. Gonna check out some of the things you recommended that I've somehow missed over the years.

Also...and this is pretty nerdy...I'm in the market to buy some overpower cards if anyone has any.

There was a while when I first started doing private cheffing where I had a lot of free time in the week and ended up taking a one day a week job at a comic shop doing odds and ends stuff like filling pull lists and such in exchange for store credit. I ended up learning way a lot about some great comics and also got a bit bummed at the more 'industry' side that comes with indie comics shops and all of the politics of that. There's a ton of great stuff out there and I'm down to talk about comics almost always!

I have Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born, which is great. At first I was going to buy the collections, but I have been buying them all as they come out, so I stopped at the first one. I would sell it.

The Preacher was great, too, but I borrowed all those to finish.

I have

Arkham Asylum

Batman: Manbat (Elsewords) 3 part tradeback issues (separate issues 1-3)

from 80s? Batman: Robin meets Manbat that comes w/ a 45 w/ the story on it. (single issue)

Also one-offs Legends of the Dark Claw and Dark Claw Adventures (Batman/Wolverine mashup) and Bat-Thing (Manbat/Thing mashup). Single issues.

recommend but not selling:

American Vampire

Locke & Key

ok, here is a list of the TPB's i have. let me know if any of you guys are interested in any of them.

-V For Vendetta

-Ultimate Spiderman: Ultimate Collection- Book 1

-Ulitmate X-Men - Volumes: 1 & 6-15

-X-Men Forever- Volumes 1-5

-Astonishing X-Men- Volumes 1-4

-Daredevil- The Devil: Inside & Out (both vol.)

-Daredevil- Hell To Pay (both vol.)

-Daredevil- Cruel & Unusual

-Daredevil- Lady Bullseye

-Daredevil- Return of the King

-Daredevil- The Devils Hand

10 volumes of John Constantine, Hellblazer

9 volumes of Swamp Thing

ok, here is a list of the TPB's i have. let me know if any of you guys are interested in any of them.

-V For Vendetta

9 volumes of Swamp Thing

I'm interested in the Astonishing X-Men- Volumes 1-4!

I'll swap you all the other Sandman trades in exchange for your copy of Danzig II ;P

I actually haven't spun that rec in a long time ha. It's one of those ones that you're so familiar with that you never play just because you've heard it so many times. But the second it was gone I'd want to play it :/

I have Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born, which is great. At first I was going to buy the collections, but I have been buying them all as they come out, so I stopped at the first one. I would sell it.

The Preacher was great, too, but I borrowed all those to finish.

I have

Arkham Asylum

Batman: Manbat (Elsewords) 3 part tradeback issues (separate issues 1-3)

from 80s? Batman: Robin meets Manbat that comes w/ a 45 w/ the story on it. (single issue)

Also one-offs Legends of the Dark Claw and Dark Claw Adventures (Batman/Wolverine mashup) and Bat-Thing (Manbat/Thing mashup). Single issues.

recommend but not selling:

American Vampire

Locke & Key

Cool thanks for the recommendations! I'll check those out!

What would you want for Arkham Asylum?

I'll swap you all the other Sandman trades in exchange for your copy of Danzig II ;P

I actually haven't spun that rec in a long time ha. It's one of those ones that you're so familiar with that you never play just because you've heard it so many times. But the second it was gone I'd want to play it :/

it's cool. it occurred to me after posting this that if I sold them as a 'lot' on ebay, I'd bring in almost enough to buy a copy of 'II'. so I may end up with it yet ;)

-V For Vendetta

9 volumes of Swamp Thing

I PM'd about V For Vendetta!