Christmas Eve...what you doing?!?!

jhulud

Juan - I did a bottle of that Infinium last week. It was awesome. I snagged a bottle of the Allagash Curieux, a tripel aged in Jim Beam bourbon barrels. It was glorious.

My girl and I went to my grandparents' for our Christmas Eve festivities and gift exchange. We got home around 11, put on a Christmas story and exchanged one gift last night and the rest this morning. My haul included Obits' Moody, Standard, and Poor, Ted Leo's Shake The Sheets, and Bonnie "Prince" Billy's Lie Down In The Light, as well as a set of Whiskey Stones. This chick knows how to hook it up!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Curieux fucking rules! Infinium sucks, haha. Which bummed me out big time, Weihenstephaner is the deal when it comes to German beers. Best hefeweizen in the world in my opinion. Last night was nothing but Home Alone II and this guy:

[image]

Today's been pretty good so far though, got up and did Christmas with the parents, then went over to one grandparents' house for breakfast. Up next is the other grandparent's spot for dinner and more family visitation.

I got this SWEET book though from mah grandma:

[image]

It's full of pictures of river baptisms from 1890-1950, and comes with a cd of old baptist hymnals that were recorded from "lost and rare" 78s. I'm not religious in any sense of the word, but this is one of the coolest books i've seen in a long time.

I love that the VC holidays consist of records and beer. And to a perfectly snobbish extent. Really, what could be better?

Ever drink Hitachino? They're a Japanese brewery that can really put flavors together. Their white ale has been a repeat offender for the past month.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That book looks super rad. I love field recordings so I should look into a copy of it.

Definitely; actually every book they put out s really cool. I've seen another one called "never a pal like mother" or something like that, filled with nothing but early 20th century photographs, essays, drawings, paintings, etc of gifts people gave to their mom, along w/ 40 songs recorded about mothers in the same era. super sweet!

as is Hitochino White! =)=)

my husband just had the hitachino white at a local hole in the wall at happy hour. nice! I was surprised to see a lot of other chatter about it here since I hadn't heard of it before.

another one of I've had is the bruery's four calling birds, which I took a taste of in their tasting room here in oc. bold!

as for Xmas eve, we had a pretty laid back French meal, some stuff my aunt sent me from over there with a baguette, wine, trader Joe's vintage ale and a cake called a bûche de nöel for dessert. we watched some Xmas cartoons with the kid and I spent an hour driving around looking for an open post office to mail a record that needed to go out. I wanted to let my daughter open one present but my husband said no.

it turned out ok because since our parents didn't get us anything because they've all been ill, we didn't have a bunch to open anyway. today, we listened to a bunch of Xmas music, my husband is grilling a tri tip and I'm making a savory bread pudding stuffing and either English peas or brussel sprouts.