the new generation of pop punk

icecream

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this on the whole because up until the internet gained mass prevalence, music of any genre experienced a different interpretation from city to city, state to state, country to country, etc. This is one of the pitfalls of internet culture in my own opinion - mass ability to access what band X is doing in Wayne, New Jersey influences what an entire scene of bands in Lawrenceville and Gwinnett, Georgia do for example. There's more uniformity now - especially in terms of punk rock and its subgenres - due to digital access than there was back in the 90's when folks were getting their info from MRR or Heart Attack or wherever else.

A friend and I were just talking about this the other night. Before the internet it was awesome that each area of the country had it's own sound. You would go see a band or put on a record and you could tell where they were from without knowing anything about them. That's pretty much gone now.

I agree with this on the whole because up until the internet gained mass prevalence, music of any genre experienced a different interpretation from city to city, state to state, country to country, etc. This is one of the pitfalls of internet culture in my own opinion - mass ability to access what band X is doing in Wayne, New Jersey influences what an entire scene of bands in Lawrenceville and Gwinnett, Georgia do for example. There's more uniformity now - especially in terms of punk rock and its subgenres - due to digital access than there was back in the 90's when folks were getting their info from MRR or Heart Attack or wherever else.

A friend and I were just talking about this the other night. Before the internet it was awesome that each area of the country had it's own sound. You would go see a band or put on a record and you could tell where they were from without knowing anything about them. That's pretty much gone now.

i beg to differ. i think local labels catered more to a certain sound thus giving off that impression. Though it wasn't necessarily true.

I agree to a certain extent with both view points. Dischord is probably the most notable example of the idea that labels catered to a certain sound.

It's interesting to see this thread come back up occasionally every once in a while. It makes me think on icecream's original post each time. Really for me, to dilute it all down - today's pop punk and 'punk' for that matter (what people call punk anyway - I've heard Thursday called punk!) is safe. It plays by set rules and is everything it set out to not be. I was reminded even more of this when watching American HC the other night - punk rock in all of its forms (yes, even pop punk) was dangerous and to an extent it wasn't accessible and more over it wasn't about record sales or exposure - nowadays folks clamour for autographs from their favorite 'punk' bands when back in the day, that shit would have been laughed at probably. I don't know - it's just all Diet Cola.