SP Siamese Dream Reissue pressed poorly?

I hear good deal of noise / static on this otherwise amazing sounding 2xLP. Especially noticeable in the final 15 seconds of "Today", but i hear static and noise throughout the 2 LPs. My buddy and I both have copies and from discussing with him I'm pretty certain we hear it in similar/the same places.

i originally noticed it on my Audio Technics AT PL120 and i literally returned the thing after, figuring i just had a somewhat low quality TT. Now on a Rega RP1 through a Cambridge 640p phono stage into my Onkyo receiver i still hear it.

I don't regret the upgrade one bit, and i'm happy to realize it's nothing with my setup... but it's kind of a bummer for such an amazing looking reissue to possibly be pressed kinda poorly...

anyone else get this and feel the same?

maybe your needle is tracking too heavily?

try balancing it to about 2.5.

i find that best for 180 gram pressings.

I don't think i can put any more weight on the cartridge than I already have with the RP1 unfortunately, although according to ortofon's documentation for the Ortofon OM5e in my TT, your suggestion is about 0.5 - 0.75 g too heavy?

since i'm hearing the same static/noise in the same places on 2 different TTs (and 3, if you count my original attempt on the technics I returned) I'm figuring it must be the press and not my setup, though i do wish i could adjust VTF a bit more on the RP1.

I hear good deal of noise / static on this otherwise amazing sounding 2xLP

This confuses the hell out of me

I'm curious where you hear it. if and when you think of it and have the time you could even PM me. I'm imagining our findings will match, but i'm definitely curious. I guess more than anything I want to make sure it's not just my copy and i shouldn't bother trying to get it replaced.

I don't think i can put any more weight on the cartridge than I already have with the RP1 unfortunately, although according to ortofon's documentation for the Ortofon OM5e in my TT, your suggestion is about 0.5 - 0.75 g too heavy?

maybe weight settings can differ depending on your cartridge, but i almost always leave mine at 2.5

sometimes, on thinner records, i notice a staticy, almost "scraping" kind of sound that goes away when i lessen the weight.

since i'm hearing the same static/noise in the same places on 2 different TTs (and 3, if you count my original attempt on the technics I returned) I'm figuring it must be the press and not my setup, though i do wish i could adjust VTF a bit more on the RP1.

I hear good deal of noise / static on this otherwise amazing sounding 2xLP

This confuses the hell out of me

I'm curious where you hear it. if and when you think of it and have the time you could even PM me. I'm imagining our findings will match, but i'm definitely curious. I guess more than anything I want to make sure it's not just my copy and i shouldn't bother trying to get it replaced.

You're not reading what people are telling you. almightyseancore is telling you to lessen your tracking weight, not add to it. youspinmeround is confused because you're saying that an LP with "a good deal of noise" sounds amazing, not that he's having the same problem as you.

As for my copy of the reissued Siamese Dream, it sounds great. I tested Today, where you said you were having problems with noise and I don't hear anything but a guitar symphony. Are there any other particular spots that you're noticing this on? Like others have mentioned, if you and your friend have noise in the same areas and others like myself aren't having problems, it's likely only problem with a specific run of the records. A friend of mine had a similar issue with a copy of OK Computer that he had to return three or four times before finally getting a good press.

i have an OP and the black repress that came out before this remaster happened.

i agree they both sound great.

i do have these remaster box sets on cd and those alone sound amazing, with very noticeable differences, but i still haven't been able to convince myself to get these represses.

and i buy damn near everything SP puts out.

You're not reading what people are telling you. almightyseancore is telling you to lessen your tracking weight, not add to it. youspinmeround is confused because you're saying that an LP with "a good deal of noise" sounds amazing, not that he's having the same problem as you.

As for my copy of the reissued Siamese Dream, it sounds great. I tested Today, where you said you were having problems with noise and I don't hear anything but a guitar symphony. Are there any other particular spots that you're noticing this on? Like others have mentioned, if you and your friend have noise in the same areas and others like myself aren't having problems, it's likely only problem with a specific run of the records. A friend of mine had a similar issue with a copy of OK Computer that he had to return three or four times before finally getting a good press.

Ahhhh i'm at work and must have not read carefully enough, i apologize. I can try lessening the tracking weight and listening again to find out other spots.

EDIT: in rereading almightyseancore he said to balance at 2.5... I don't have a VTF scale but my RP1 maxes out at around 2 from what i can tell (supposedly only 1.75g when the counterweight is rotated fully forward on the stub)

to clear up MY confusing statement:

there is static and noise present on my copy from time to time that drives me nuts. when it isn't doing that, though, the record sounds incredible.

I never bought this because I always thought the OP sounded great as it was. Any noticeable difference?

never heard the OP, would love to get a copy... but i do believe it was remastered and the new packaging is really slick IMHO.

Ortofon recommends 1.75g for that cartridge anyway. I wouldn't go above 2g.

maybe there is dust on your record?

Anyway, I'm interested to see the out come because Siamese Dream is on my to buy list.

Ortofon recommends 1.75g for that cartridge anyway. I wouldn't go above 2g.

maybe there is dust on your record?

Anyway, I'm interested to see the out come because Siamese Dream is on my to buy list.

while I doubt this is the issue, I AM looking into a relatively inexpensive but effective way to clean my records (old and new) before playing them. any suggestions?

I'm sure there are many variations on this, but here's what I do:

Relatively clean record: just carbon fiber brush

Somewhat dirty: Audio Technica AT6012 fluid/brush, then carbon fiber brush

Fresh from the resale shop: clamp a pair of dent pullers on either side (to keep label dry), then dishwashing soap (Joy or whatever) and water in a bowl, brushed on with a paint brush. Rinse under the tap and dry with microfiber towel.

These are the dent pullers I'm using. : http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-diameter-suction-cup-40993.html

They're OK. I mostly use the first 2 methods because the 3rd is kind of involved and time consuming.

• 2 weeks later...