So are Sonic Youth done?

nyhi

Lee Ranaldo said that Sonic Youth are "ending for a while". "I'm feeling optimistic about the future no matter what happens at this point," Ranaldo said. "It was a pretty good tour overall. I mean, there was a little bit of tiptoeing around and some different situations with the travelling – you know, they're not sharing a room any more or anything like that … It remains to be seen at this point what happens. I think they are certainly the last shows for a while and I guess I'd just leave it at that." Ranaldo also suggest there are no plans for Sonic Youth to record new material. "There's tons and tons of archival projects and things like that still going on," he said. "I'm just happy right now to let the future take its course."

^ A Thousand Leaves was definitely something of a low point for them, but they definitely experienced an upswing very quickly after - I mean c'mon - that string of records with Murray Street, Sonic Nurse, Rather Ripped and The Eternal - those four were SO good. Also, more on the avant garde side, but I've enjoyed all of the SYR's they've come out with - the latest one (SYR 9) definitely has heavy shades of Daydream Nation and Sister despite being instrumental.

mind yr tongue ;)

i think he's trying to say "i kinda stopped caring after 'a thousand leaves' anyway".

or at least thats what i'm trying to say.

Nope I'm saying thank god. I never really got into them, but every I know who likes them is very annoying when it comes to them. They rant on and on and on how amazing they are and how much of a better person they are because they like sonic youth and you don't. Over the years this has lead me to despise the band.

I understand my exposure to Sonic Youth fans is a very (very) small sample size. But those few have completely ruined it for me and have blossomed my distaste for the band.

^ that's totally fair.

I can't count the number of bands that have been ruined for me by way of overzealous fans. I'm not sure that listening to or enjoying ANY media makes one better than someone else, so clearly you came across the more diluted and self involved contingent of SY's fan base, hahah.

^ that's totally fair.

I can't count the number of bands that have been ruined for me by way of overzealous fans. I'm not sure that listening to or enjoying ANY media makes one better than someone else, so clearly you came across the more diluted and self involved contingent of SY's fan base, hahah.

It's the exact reason I hate Radiohead too. Although with Readiohead I just never thought their music was that great so I could never get into them. On top of that most of the Radiohead fans I know act like they're the second coming of christ.

^ that's totally fair.

It's the exact reason I hate Radiohead too. Although with Readiohead I just never thought their music was that great so I could never get into them. On top of that most of the Radiohead fans I know act like they're the second coming of christ.

i more or less completely adore radioheads first 3 albums, as a combination of both taste and nostalgia, but everything after that, though i enjoy, doesn't hold any special place for me like their first 3 records do.

I can back this. I don't dislike their music, but I don't feel like my musical experience is lacking because I don't listen to them.

I do love me some Sonic Youth though.