Why labels use different pressing plants

i used Pirates for a while, and they're a super solid place to use... but from what i've read DMM is apparrently seriously unhealthy for the people who do it, and that kinda bothers me a good deal.. so i think i'll avoid it unless a band is really adamant about it.

wow that sucks, had no idea. our first two releases were with pirates, havne't used them since 2008.

I am doing my first two releases now. I had already started my first release with pirate press before I heard about the conditions. After hearing that I decided to do my second one somewhere else. I will probably, after doing more research be doing my third and four releases in the fall at another plant. I am kind of just learning as I go and finding the best price for everything. I would recommend anyone starting a label to research as much as you can before you get started. The How to press a record thread is a good starting point.

One thing I find odd is when records are pressed at Pirate's and the only color is black. They are more expensive than plenty of other plants, and the records need to be shipped halfway across the planet because GZ is based in the Czech Republic. It seems like the only reasons people use Pirate's are for the crazy colors, the customer service, and DMM for those who want it.

I believe Fat Wreck Chords uses Rainbo for all their LPs and uses Pirates Press for all of their 7"s.

I'm pretty sure the NOFX 10" that came out recently was Pirate's.

Yeah, I realize it's a pretty silly question, I was just wondering how label heads would respond. I know basically nothing about running a record label and that's something that I would love to do someday.

The Lagwagon Box Set and the new Frenzal Rhomb LP is from Pirates as well.

Forgive me if this is for the how to press a record thread but does using DMM usually mean inferior sound quality, or does it generally make no difference? All the records I have from Pirates Press generally sound pretty good or am I missing something?

There is a good explanation of DMM here: http://www.piratespress.com/cms/vinyl-records/direct-metal-mastering

In a nutshell, DMM is a 2 step process, as opposed to the traditional 3 step process. I've never heard anything about DMM being an unhealthy process to work with.

Its more the condition of the plant from what i heard.

There is a good explanation of DMM here: http://www.piratespress.com/cms/vinyl-records/direct-metal-mastering

In a nutshell, DMM is a 2 step process, as opposed to the traditional 3 step process. I've never heard anything about DMM being an unhealthy process to work with.

Its more the condition of the plant from what i heard.

I've been to GZ, I've worked in printing plants, I saw nothing out of the ordinary. GZ workers are treated well and are paid above average wages for the region. The only questionable health issue that I know about is the pressing of "haze" vinyl because it causes color pigments to be airborne. For this reason, "haze" vinyl is limited to only 300pcs per order.

If you're ever in the Czech Republic, set yourself up with a tour of the plant, it's a pretty awesome place and very cool to see all colored vinyl being individually pressed by hand (as opposed to automatic presses).

I've written in depth about Pirates Press and GZ in the past. Not going to do it again. All great people though, high quality products, fastest turnarounds, worth supporting!