Camera Set-Up (What you using?)

I use a Canon T2i, its a bit outdated but kicks ass. I also shoot about a dozen different film cameras, but thats a different story. I got a pretty good deal and picked up a 50mm f1.4 lens for about $200. You can also pull a yocaseycasey and cheap fisheye lens, or fisheye attachments for $30-60 and they work okay, but not great.

I shoot as a profession. Graduated with a major in photojournalism and a minor in fine art.

The t3i like casey said, is good. its relatively cheap, interchangeable lenses, nice HD video, and small. and like woeisthespider said canons 1.4 is awesome. even their 1.8 at $100 is good.

i shoot all canon. 5DMKII, 7D, MKIV

What's a good mid level digital camera? I always say I'm gonna buy one and never do, mostly because I know nothing about them and will probably buy a $400 out dated piece of crap from Target.

I couldn't be happier with my Canon Rebel t3. I used to shoot all the time back in middle school and early high school, but fell out of the hobby. I wanted to get back into photography at the ripe age of 26 (to feel like I'm actually doing something in my spare time as opposed to just watching Law & Order all the time). It was $499 with the lens kit, and it takes awesome shots.

I'd recommend it to anyone, and here in a few years when I upgrade, I'll buy another Canon DSLR.

What's a good mid level digital camera? I always say I'm gonna buy one and never do, mostly because I know nothing about them and will probably buy a $400 out dated piece of crap from Target.

Honestly look at either the t1i, t2i, or t3i. I've been shooting Canon my whole life so I'm a little biased, but they're great, dependable, and take amazing pictures. If you go with the t1i, or t2i they should be a little cheaper since they're older, but they're still great cameras.

I couldn't be happier with my Canon Rebel t3. I used to shoot all the time back in middle school and early high school, but fell out of the hobby. I wanted to get back into photography at the ripe age of 26 (to feel like I'm actually doing something in my spare time as opposed to just watching Law & Order all the time). It was $499 with the lens kit, and it takes awesome shots.

I'd recommend it to anyone, and here in a few years when I upgrade, I'll buy another Canon DSLR.

yeah the t3 (aka, rebel series), and new t3i are pretty amazing for the price, image quality is the same as any of the "pro" models, and their video capabilities are awesome.

T3i

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&N=4291570227+4288586280&Q=&Ntt=Rebel+T3i&A=endecaSearch

even going with older Rebels, t2i, xti would be a good choice, save some money. And the kits are usually a good way to go. youre gonna want a wide lens, and some zoom, but the kit lenses arent all that great. they have a high f/stop, perfect for daylight, crap in low light. would definitely pay the extra $100 (or so) for the canon 50mm f/1.8. you cant shoot a bad picture with that lens. nice portraits, and nice dof.

caseycasey what do you shoot?

I also shoot professionally with a BFA in photo. My 9-5 is at a camera shop. The Lumix G series are really nice cameras. If you're looking for something compact like that, you might want to take a look at the Olympus PEN series. They pioneered the micro four thirds cameras and they have a few more options as far as bodies, lenses, and accessories go.

I like that most people here shoot Canon, haha. I shoot with a 5D MKII and mostly prime lenses with the exception of my 24-70mm f/2.8.

This is my first post, too. Hi.

currently my leica m2 and rollei 3.5f.

my hasselblad c/m needs to be shipped off for repair :(, actually gonna box it up this week and contact the guy in the coming weeks

Ugh, such jealousy about your Leica (and the Rollei for that matter.)

Bummer about your c/m though. Hope you can get it repaired for a relatively reasonable price. The cost of parts these days are crazy.

caseycasey what do you shoot?

Pictures of me after I cut down trees.

I took it to Chicago and took some pretty sweet pictures of the Flanigan show. I'll post some here. It was my first time shooting live music, and the lights were awesome. I'm still learning, but I shot at 6400 ISO because it was so dark in the venue. Some of the pictures turned out really well, though (in my opinion).

[image]

[image]

[image]

currently my leica m2 and rollei 3.5f.

my hasselblad c/m needs to be shipped off for repair :(, actually gonna box it up this week and contact the guy in the coming weeks

Bummer about your c/m though. Hope you can get it repaired for a relatively reasonable price. The cost of parts these days are crazy.

Ha thanks. Spent a lot of time (and $$$$) on all of my photography stuff. There is a guy up in Massachusetts who was trained at the Hasselblad factory, I just need to stop being lazy and contact him. I cringe at the cost though.

I develop all my own b/w film. Once I buy a house I am going to turn a room or the garage into a darkroom.

I want a 4x5 camera but waiting until I get a darkroom so I can handle it all easier.

It is kinda sad how "cheap" the analog stuff has gotten. Cameras which were once the roll-royce are now economical. Also bums me out (no offense to anyone!) the quality of digital cameras (amount of plastic components and build quality) compared to the older cameras.

For me nothing gets my heart racing like holding up my negatives toward the light and looking at each photo, one by one. Sounds dumb, but whatever. A lot of extra money and work but so so so worth it. It is a peaceful quiet place in my life, keeps me somewhat sane.

Actually it had been since July that I ordered film, but just ordered $400 worth of film, glass bottles, and chemicals at B&H last week. Still buy a lot of chemicals locally to keep the last camera store in houston (one of the largest cities in the US!) open (that has analog and darkroom stuff)

Sorry those pictures are so damn big. I'm at work and can't resize them.

Also, any tips for settings for concert photography like this in low-lighting. The ISO was set to the max, and I don't see much noise, but it was a battle to get the shutter speed set correctly.

yuge photos!

live music is tough sometimes, it really helps to shoot with prime lenses, low f/stops. what lens do you have? and for ISO you are maxed out, which sucks. the ISO technology now is awesome, you can shoot at extremely high ISO with no noise at all...but the main thing i can tell you for music, is low f/stops...get a 50 f1.8 or a wide at f/2.8. before i used to rent all my lenses, it was awesome, look into that too.

with the canon 5DmkII i can shoot at 25,600 iso(see attached photo) and still have good quality, i used this photo in my final portfolio for sports.

shot with the MKII w/ a 300mm 2.8

those look good man, you would love a wide prime at 2.8, or 2

I shot a roll of 3200 at the La Dispute concert. My light meter was giving me hell so I'm not too sure what to develop (push) the roll at. Was shooting f/2.0 and either 1/125 or 1/60. Probably will have to push 3 or 4 stops since it is actually 1000iso film....kinda confused me and had to write it all down to figure out. Thus to go to 1600 is 2/3 stop, 3200 1 2/3 stop (or 2 stops), 6400 3 stops, 12800 4 stops.

Went in my bathroom in similar lighting (to the best of my memory) and used a digital light meter. Got readings around 1/8 or 1/15 which means (I think, no formal photography training) that I was off by 2-4 stops, if I was at 1/60 or 1/125.

Ha thanks. Spent a lot of time (and $$$$) on all of my photography stuff. There is a guy up in Massachusetts who was trained at the Hasselblad factory, I just need to stop being lazy and contact him. I cringe at the cost though.

I develop all my own b/w film. Once I buy a house I am going to turn a room or the garage into a darkroom.

I want a 4x5 camera but waiting until I get a darkroom so I can handle it all easier.

It is kinda sad how "cheap" the analog stuff has gotten. Cameras which were once the roll-royce are now economical. Also bums me out (no offense to anyone!) the quality of digital cameras (amount of plastic components and build quality) compared to the older cameras.

For me nothing gets my heart racing like holding up my negatives toward the light and looking at each photo, one by one. Sounds dumb, but whatever. A lot of extra money and work but so so so worth it. It is a peaceful quiet place in my life, keeps me somewhat sane.

Actually it had been since July that I ordered film, but just ordered $400 worth of film, glass bottles, and chemicals at B&H last week. Still buy a lot of chemicals locally to keep the last camera store in houston (one of the largest cities in the US!) open (that has analog and darkroom stuff)

Ah, I dream of being able to have my own darkroom. That's great that you're developing your own film and all. I love shooting film. I have a Mamiya 645 AFD that I wish I could shoot more often. It's just gotten so expensive to develop since I don't have access to a lab anymore. If you're ever looking for darkroom stuff at cost, let me know. We've got a lot of it at my store.

Is there seriously no Nikon love in here? I shoot with a D90 and couldn't be happier.

haha i was surprised too, nothing bad against nikon, i had to use them for the sox sometimes. canon is just what i started with, i feel its that way for a lot of people, whatever they start with, they're stuck.

i do find though canon has better glass and maybe easier to use, and nikon might have a better auto focusing system. thats just me.