alcohol withdrawal

i did the most amazing health change about 2 months back, which i think i may have already mentioned, but had to stop the exercise after a pretty nasty head injury, which turned me back into a lazy drunkard.

i did a full body cleanse and a colon cleanse, which lasted 2 weeks and was a very strict diet of grain and vegetables with things like beans and chicken/fish for protein.

i was riding my bike 4 miles every morning and i felt great.

i was still smoking pot but i wasn't drinking.

did all this for a little over a month before i got hurt.

once i start a routine like that it's easy for me to keep, but once i stop it's so hard to start back up again.

i might as well, tho, you're right, it's absolutely the best thing for my body.

i will wait thru these dreaded 3 to 4 days after thing, and then start another body cleanse and biking that trail again.

Totally understand. Everyone drinks for a reason. I think for me, it helps me relax after work. I try to limit it based on what's on TV at night (I have no life). If there's sports on, I tend to drink more. If there's a show I like on, it's the typical amount of drinks. If nothing is on, I try to not drink at all. But then there's Netflix. So I'm catching up on Breaking Bad and of course that show is all about substance abuse so I'm drinking during watching that, which is every night. So it's a challenge.

Dude, I don't know. You pretty much either have a problem or you don't. Tying drinking to what is on TV is either justifying a real problem or you don't really have a problem (yet).

If you are drinking nearly everyday but can go fine without it if nothing is on the TV, then stop watching TV until you can straighten your habits out. Breaking Bad is amazing but it will still be there for you to catch up on in the future. If you continue drinking 5 drinks a night because you need to watch a sporting event and can't watch a sporting event without drinking, you are probably starting down the road shakes and seizures later in your life. Change things up before you do!

Yeah man, if you can substitute biking for drinking, you are winning the battle. Sounds like you understand.

If you are going to do a "cleanse", watch that movie I mentioned in my first post before. I may be a sucker, but I am becoming a really strong believer in a very heavy diet of vegetables, even over things like whole grains and white meat. Whatever works for you though.

Sean, Im not trying to be a dick or anything I have always gotten along with you and want to mail you the cd I owe you, but what do you need for a wake up call? You got the DTs. They get worse as over the few days. You have already had seizures from them. They get worse at night and around the 4th or 5th day is when they really seem to hit you. They are deadly. You already have the signs that you have them, and you are taking advice from people on a message board on how to handle them instead of going to a medicial professional who can save you. No ammount of caffine and 1aday vitamins are going to help you. See a hospital and get this taken care of.

This is taken from emedicine.com

"Delirium tremens (DTs) is the most severe form of ethanol withdrawal; it is manifested by altered mental status (global confusion) and sympathetic overdrive (autonomic hyperactivity), which can progress to cardiovascular collapse. DTs is a medical emergency with a high mortality rate, making early recognition and treatment essential. (See Prognosis, Clinical Presentation, Differentials, Workup, and Treatment.)"

also It may also be triggered by head injury, infection, or illness in people with a history of heavy use of alcohol. Yet another cause of delirium tremens is abrupt cessation of tranquilizer drugs of the barbiturate or benzodiazepine classes in a patient with a relatively strong addiction to them

Seriously man, its time to stop getting help from message boards and get to the hospital. We are literally talking about you seeing your daughters another day or them having a memory of their father who was an alcoholic and died.

i know how to do the cleanse, i rocked it last time.

i was shitting out weird black ropes of confusing amazingness.

What I am talking about isn't so much a cleanse that makes you shit your brains out but an overall shift in diet to something that is 80% fruit and vegetables. They are the best thing for every part of your body -- Liver, skin, brain, immune system, everything.

But Selfreliable is right. A change in habit, exercise, and nutrition will help you a ton in the long term. In the short term, you need a medical professional to make sure you don't die. Money isn't as important as your health. I lost sight of that in my posts because I guess I've never had anyone with alcohol seizures in my life. Do it.

i wish my wife understood the dangers of this.

i just called the hospital and they said "come in NOW OR YOU COULD DIE" , but i tell my wife and she's more worried about having missing her job.

telling me to "suck it up" "it's your problem" "you're not taking my car" etc.

and insisting that my life is not in jeopardy.

don't know how to handle this.

I didn't read much beyond the OP, but don't play around. Alcohol withdrawal is BRUTAL and can be extremely dangerous. I had a friend who was drinking a bottle of wine just to fall asleep at night and would drink 18 beers no problem. There was a day I was with her (yes, it was a girl) and just pulling into the parking lot of the corner store settled her down and stopped her shaking. Get help from a counseling center because it can be very, very dangerous to just quit. Her withdrawal was scary and she powered through it at home with her mom, but she got an extremely high fever and all sorts of shakes and blackouts.

If you really want help, I'll ask if she'd be willing to talk to you. She is on her way to becoming a drug and alcohol counselor.

So you called a general hospital? From what I could find with Google, it seems like the way to go is to call the US Department of Health's closest branch. They should be able to give you the number of the closest (or maybe cheapest) inpatient and outpatient centers. Should probably go to the closest outpatient place that has specific alcohol expertise.

As for the wife, I don't know. A life is more important than a job or even a wife though.

Yeah, your wife is being short cited, but she might be holding it against you as you stated before that she says it is your fault. It isnt really the time for blaming as it doesnt help the situation. Alcoholism is a disease and genetics play a big part in it, and I think you said something about your dad or maybe both parents being big drinkers? I dunno what to tell her Im not going to interfere in your marriage, but she wont have a husband to stay home and watch the girls when she works if you dont go to the hospital. It literally can be an issue of life and death. If she says no fuck it, do it for your girls. They deserve to have their dad around, and from what you have told me before, you are a pretty awesome dad to them.

So you called a general hospital? From what I could find with Google, it seems like the way to go is to call the US Department of Health's closest branch. They should be able to give you the number of the closest (or maybe cheapest) inpatient and outpatient centers. Should probably go to the closest outpatient place that has specific alcohol expertise.

As for the wife, I don't know. A life is more important than a job or even a wife though.

i talked to the "behavioral health center" or whatever.

she sounded very concerned.

but i've also read that fatal reactions come from years of heavy drinking.

i'm only coming of a 3 week binge.

the wife says i can go to an ER when she gets off of work, but no way i'm going in now.

Hey, some people smoke a pack a day and live to be 100. Some people seem healthy and have a heart attack in their 30s. Genetics, luck, behavior, who knows. But you probably have done permanent damage to your body in your past and it just took 3 weeks to surface again.

I'm sure you will be fine until tonight. I'm not convincing you one way or the other, but is a detox center a better fit for you than the ER? Both in cost and expertise? I'd investigate. Good luck, man. I'm invested in your recovery after today...

i just took some time and ran to the GNC down the street, and told him my story.

turns out he used to drink a bottle of vodka every day for 2 years, he said he had a seizure the night he quit too, but never went to a doctor.

he had the shakes and threw up a lot for about a week and then he was fine.

he recommended that i get back on my detox for the sake of my liver and just my overall wellbeing. he also said that he's pretty sure i can kick this without help.

good thing to hear coming from someone who happened to actually knows what i'm going thru. probably more so than me.

ima start me some diet and exercise and just cope with these shakes.

my wife swears up and down that what happened to me last night wasn't a seizure, because i am prone to violent nightmares. it could have just been a massive shaking fit, but i def. was not conscious for it.

all i know is my brain and muscles weren't very happy that it happened.

some of the responses on this thread, combined with things i read got me pretty scared, but i'm pretty sure i got this.

we just taught my 4 year old how to call mom in case daddy gets sick tonight and can't use the phone.

funny how we gotta reword everything so the kids don't get scared, or run their mouth to school/family.

I dated someone with a similar story to yours, no happy ending with that one though. what I realized while going through that is that it's only going to happen if you really want it to, which it sounds like you do. Think of your kids, they're still going to want you around when you're old as hell. the human body and mind can bounce back from an amazing amount of tortures. although, It doesn't really sound like you will ever be able to socially drink, especially if addiction and substance abuse is in your blood. good luck! :)

I seriously hope that nothing happens man, I hope next week you are feeling great and back on your exercise and eating right plan, but I just dont think this is something to mess around with. Your daughter is 4 and old enough to hang onto memories for life. Her first memory that she holds onto could be having to call mom at work cause daddy is siezing on the floor dying. Yes people do get the DTs and survive. Yes people have drank much longer than you and survived, but also people have drank less than you and died. Your body is different than the GNC guys or Madies ex or anyone else. No one knows how your body will handle and cope with this. Not to mention that you have taken a shot to the head recently which might make things worse. Also, violent nighmares, a sign of DTs. Yeah you could be totally fine and that would be awesome, but if things get worse for you will you have time to get medical attention? Townes Van Zandt died from the DT's and he was in a room full of people and talking and next thing they know he closed his eyes and stopped breathing. They knew he had them, knew he could die at any moment if they didnt get him to a hospital, and still didnt know he died that quick.

I'm with selfreliable. None of us can diagnose you if you can't diagnose yourself but you should err on the side of caution and see a doc.

That said, maybe you should just get your liver enzymes tested:

http://www.medicalhealthtests.com/askquestion/605/how-much-does-a-liver-function-test-cost.html

Not a perfect solution, but it probably a good indicator of the level of damage you have done to your body and isn't going to cost you a fortune. If your liver test is acceptable, it would probably be pretty unlikely your seizure/nightmare was DTs. If your test shows your liver is fucked up and your wife still says you shouldn't see a doctor, your wife has mental problems as bad as you have physical ones and is in need of counselling.

Not a perfect solution, but it probably a good indicator of the level of damage you have done to your body and isn't going to cost you a fortune. If your liver test is acceptable, it would probably be pretty unlikely your seizure/nightmare was DTs. If your test shows your liver is fucked up and your wife still says you shouldn't see a doctor, your wife has mental problems as bad as you have physical ones and is in need of counselling.

i like this idea, considering it sounds like most the affordable first step, and i'll get some kind of answer which is also nice.