cable/internet... i'm getting shafted

You work for their PR department or what? Dropping the price by $20 for multiple customers wouldn't impact their overhead to the point they'd hemorrhage money. It's a cushioned lost.

You think Verizon got rid of their unlimited data plans for any other reason than to squeeze every last penny out of their customers? They're a business. They're in it to make profit.

Exactly, they are in business to make as much as possible. Companies wont give you a courtesy refund unless you have been a good customer for them. They look at someone like Madie who is still young, asked for numerous refunds already before her contract is up and they see someone who is going to leave as soon as they get a chance, so why would they keep giving her money back? They know she is on the way out so they are going to try and suck her dry. Had she never complained before, never asked for money back etc, etc, they would probably hook her up with a sweet deal. It is a give and take relationship.

I have jailbroken my iphone and I use it as a hotspot at work (to get around their site blocking software).

I don't really think of it as a great alternative to high speed internet. Maybe with a 4g phone (I have a 3g)? But there are times when I am playing a PS3 game online, downloading a tv show, and my roommate is watching stuff on Netflix. A phone hotspot isn't going to cut it.

No way. I stream all the Blackhawks games and have for a while. Lots of HD feeds. I run an HDMI cable from my computer to my TV.

What site do you use for streams? I tried streaming Mets baseball games for years, and got sick of either not finding streams or low quality streams. That and I could no longer steal internet service....

Also one perk I have for now is an app on my iPad to watch TV with the cable service I have. Not too bad yet, I haven't reached that dreaded year mark.....