Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

Think I nailed it on Craigslist last night:

BodyCraft F430
Bench (pretty ****ty but you can make it work)
Olympic Weights - 8 x 45, 2 x 25, 4 x 10, 1 x 2.5
Standard Weights (iron, not plastic) - 4 x 10, 6 x 5, 1 x 2.5
dumbbells - 1 x 35, 1 x 30, 1 x 25, 1 x 20, 1 x 15, 2 x 10
Olympic bar and standard bar
5 or so really heavy duty chains
Ab Roller (these things work? I dunno)
Weight Belt
Wraps, collars, and other random stuff

$300. Had to drive an hour each way to Toledo to get it but defintely worth it. Already had about 300 pounds in Olympic weight and I don't need that much so gonna sell some of it on Craigslist myself.

Gonna do the madcow workout. I never really had a good way to do squats in my home and I don't like gyms. Not anymore.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

I am posting this because a couple pages back this thread discussed testosterone boosters. A friend of mine made an interesting point that I am just sharing. Not advocating any use this stuff:

First, steroids are illegal but there are prohormones that are not. The basic difference is that steroids are direct testosterone supplements, while prohormones are substances that cause the body to increase testosterone. For all intents and purposes, they are steroids. They do the same things and probably should be illegal. It is the case of the chemist being able to move quickly and stay one step ahead of the lawmakers, who can't ban them fast enough. They are banned for athletes.

However, anyone taking Tribulus or any other natural testosterone booster is completely wasting their money. They have been clinically shown to do nothing. It is analogous to the situation of wanting to protect your home from intruders but not wanting to take the risk of owning a gun so you buy a plastic gun. You can't have the main effect without the side effect. The side effects that have been proven with increased testosterone is your balls shrink, you can get acne, and you can lose hair on your head while growing it elsewhere. The side effects that have been associated with testosterone but not definitively proven are aggression, depression, and a few others. The main effect is that you can really, really pack on the muscle.

Where I stand -- I am 26 with a receding hair line. I will lose it eventually but I'm hanging on. I don't want to trade what I have left for muscle. At 26, I should still be producing enough naturally. If I tried it and it made me feel depressed, I'd just stop. But I'm not ruling out that when I am in my 30s and 40s and later trying it. It really helps you stay fit later in life. I'll risk taking a drug that might be risky over getting fat and being for sure at high risk for diseases.

So that was just a long way of saying, if you want to boost testosterone, research all the side effects of prohormones and if you want to take the risk, go for it and stay as safe as possible. If you think you can take something over the counter to boost testosterone and not experience the side effects of steroids/testosterone, then you are being foolish and wasting money. Just eat some chicken and be fit naturally.

The only difference I felt from taking Tribulus was that I had morning-wood every day hahaha. Probably wasn't related though.

Where might one obtain these prohormones and what is their common 'name'? I wouldn't mind researching this. I don't want to juice or anything, but if this stuff is more safe and seems like a light use of it would be beneficial I might be interested in trying it myself.

It is not more safe. It has weird chemical names and I have never tried them. They are essentially legal steroids. If you are considering it, I suggest you watch the documentary "bigger, stronger, faster" first. The thesis of the movie would be this -- People throw lots of accusations around at steroids but the truth is that no one studies them because they are a banned substance. So the proven (negative) effects are acne, hair loss, and ball shrinkage. The proven (positive) effect is tremendous muscle growth. Things like "roid rage" and depression, are sometimes linked to steroids but there is no real evidence they exist other than "this guy was doing roids and killed himself, so maybe it was the cause". But there are thousands and thousands of people who do it without mood problems. There's a pretty cool interview in that movie from a guy who has had AIDS for 20 years or something like that and dude would beat the shit out of most of us.

This would be an example of a prohormone:

http://epistane.com/

If anyone tries one, read as much as you can, start slow, and be on the watch for side effects (especially moodiness / depression). But as you said, "I don't want to juice or anything". If this the case, then the recommendation is save your money and don't bother with tribulus, or any other "natural testosterone booster". They are all bunk. Just do the other things right and accept your natural potential (which is probably good enough).

As a crossfit-ing, marathon-running, registered dietitian I really love this thread! 2013 goal: finally qualify for the Boston marathon! Only a few mins away from my needed 3:35 qualifying time. Also if anyone ever has nutrition questions, feel free to ask!

Yeah what can I eat that tastes good but will help me lose weight. I know it's a pipe dream but I want to enjoy my food.

Yeah what can I eat that tastes good but will help me lose weight. I know it's a pipe dream but I want to enjoy my food.

EVERYONE SHOULD ENJOY THEIR FOOD..in my opinion

You can eat just about anything and still lose weight. Given it is in moderation. Unfortunately I have nothing really revolutionary here. There is of course no super food that can help us lose weight.  Just smarter choices. As far as food tasting good, depends on what you think tastes good. If it has to be french fries, pizza, etc, you either have to be super good about portion control (have one piece of pizza with a huge salad to fill you up) or make things yourself with moderations to cut calories (switching to low fat cheese). Those foods are good, but to be honest, farm fresh organic veggies can be really tasty. If you can get to a local farmer's market and talk to a farmer that's always a good idea.

I would definitely say for weight loss, I have seen most people find success with eating smaller meals more frequently (3 moderate meals, 2-3 small snacks) over the traditional 3 meals. Which helps keep one from getting too hungry. In generally making "healthier" food choices most of the time, but giving yourself those foods you think taste really good occasionally to keep yourself from being deprived.

Exercising helps.

I could go on and on here, but not sure how helpful that would be.  Feel free to PM me, as a young dietitian, I am always eager to help anyone who needs help nutritionally!

(side note: I am super excited about my impending dinner of Five Guys fries and many Brooklyn Lagers...but its ok, I just ran 7 miles...lol)

The key to me dieting lately is that I try and start every meal out with plain, green veggies. I eat 2 green bell peppers, a stalk of brocolli, some spinach, or whatever. No salt, no dressing, no butter. Sometimes spices like garlic. I just treat it like a chore and get it over with. Then, when I eat pizza, chicken, whatever, it's pretty hard to really overeat in a meal. A whole green pepper has about as many calories of 1 bite of pizza but fills up a quarter of your stomach (I'm making those numbers up, but generally speaking, the point is true).

At some point if you are committed enough, you just gotta put nutrition above taste. Trying to eat healthy and make everything taste as good as Taco Bell and ice cream is not possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend reading all of this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303

You might think "I don't need to read anything on a body-building website. I'm just gonna do my thing and I won't look like Arnold, but I'll get bigger". There are a ton of tips in there that will help you to work out properly. Some that come to mind:

Unless you are just starting to work out, it is very difficult to get big and lose weight at the same. If you want to get big, you need a calorie surplus. Then you can lose whatever fat you pick up as well once you have muscle.

Don't think "I just want arms so that is all I will do". Our bodies like to grow all at once. You'll see better results if you do a full-body routine.

Give yourself plenty of time to rest. Doing 300 curls everyday is NOT the way to get bigger arms. I do a 4 day routine (with a light amount of crunches thrown in everyday):

day 1: bench and squats

day 2: bis, tris, and calves

day 3: shoulders and traps

day 4: rest

And you can do just about all this with dumbells. You can substitute push-ups for benching. For tris, you just need a stable chair and your body weight. Squatting your body-weight is probably going to tire you pretty quick.

Im giving this a try. See if it works for me.

I essentially still do what I posted above, but I focus on compound lifts instead of isolated exercises. I try and answer questions but I don't know everything and still learn. I read this cover to cover:

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357666293&sr=8-1&keywords=starting+strength

It is kinda the book every weightlifter reads first. The thesis of the book would be "true physical strength is measured by how you can use it. If you lock yourself into some complex machine that only let's a single muscle work at a time, this is developing strength in a way that will never be able to utilized in the real world. The best way to get strong is compound lifts that work muscle groups in the way nature intends".

I have just started doing the Madcow workout (second one). I'll post a link rather than paraphrasing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

The differences -- I have some kind problem with my upper back. When I do rows, it is sore for over a week. So on Monday I do shrugs instead of rows and friday I do chin-ups with a little bit of extra weight. I work in a couple rows here and there but I take it easy with them.

To do the one I am, you need a bench, weight set (300 pounds is plenty), and a power rack. You can find all on craigslist for a couple hundred dollars if you keep your eyes open.

What I posted above isn't bad. There are better, more thoroughly thought out routines from people who know more than me, though. I suggest you go with one of them.

An exercise like the dip is useful, but should be used to increase the bench press when the triceps are the limiting muscle. Just an example.

Track your progression in a notebook or excel spreadsheet. It is a very important part if you take this seriously. When you get stuck on progression (which always happens to everybody), you can identify it and get over the hurdle.

I've been lifting for about 9 years now, but I cycle in and out of lazy funks and take a few months off from the gym at a time which severely limits my progression since I always end up playing catch up to get back to where I was.

I weighed 175 in college and could bench 315 before i fucked up my shoulder. 

OK - I have been training for a sprint tri in May. This is part of my overall fitness goals as well as an upcoming physical I need to take in a few months. I went from 213 to 194 and I'm hitting all my cardio/weight training benchmarks. 

I do however want to intensify my workouts and my little brother is encouraging me to use NO Xplode for the next 6-8 weeks. I've never taken anything except for some Muscle Milk to up my protein. Anyone here use a pre-workout supplement? If so what are the results? Do you recommend or not? I am not looking to be huge by any means but toning has been important as it's definitely helping my swimming to have more full body strength. The cardio is taking care of itself. 

Some of you are much bigger on the weight training side so some neutral advice is welcome. 

The Cycling is the most natural to me. I used to do 50-100 mile rides in college. I am a big fan of cross training for the event and working on the transitions - going from swimming to cycling is very odd so for me it's been about adapting and just going for it. 

Training? Taking off weight was huge. Increasing my running was good because it got my cardio moving in the right direction faster. After that it was intervals on a stationary bike along with getting out on the road. I won't do more than 6 miles on a stationary bike but I vary the degree of pressure applied. On the road I will head out on scenic routes for 20-30 mile rides and just enjoy myself. 

The Sprint Tri is a goal that I want to see through but getting back up to Centurion Ride shape is really what I want more than anything out of all of this. 

I have some good books that were recommended to me by a far more serious rider than myself, I'll get you a couple titles that I found helpful. 

I take pre-workouts. I've tried NO-Xplode, Muscle Pharm Assault, White Flood, and probably a couple others. White Flood is my favorite.

I am just trying to think this through in my head, but I would say don't go with Xplode and try something stimulant free (I think Hemavol is a pretty popular one). The ones with caffeine are probably more suited to someone who is on their way to the gym and is gonna work out for half hour to an hour. Someone working out longer than that is probably going to feel a stimulant crash. It will definitely pump you up to start though.

A lot of the preworkouts are "proprietary blends" and what all the ingredients actually do requires a phd in chemistry. Hemavol should give you supplements to increase nitric oxide (helps to carry oxygen to your muscles) and a bunch of B vitamins for energy. The rest of it, I don't know what it does and the value in it, but I'm assuming they serve some kind of function if it is popular.

Only way to really know is to try and see how you feel. There are tons of supplement companies in here that will give you free samples:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Everyone should take fish oil, regardless of goals or even if you don't work out (flaxseed oil for the veggies).

If you are doing really long workouts, runs, bikes, whatever and having trouble with recovery you want a BCAA supplement, which is pretty cheap and usually taken during a workout.

The thing about preworkouts I've never bought into is that they all claim to increase "focus". I find it easier to focus when I am at my normal level, rather than after I just drank about a cup and a half of coffee's worth of caffeine and a bunch of other stuff to give me energy. Never got that part.

Don't a few of these have creatine as well? I'm not opposed to it but I have avoided it for the moment. I am pulling 105-120 minutes in the gym per session. I never do quick workouts since I always mix in cardio as well. I might just grab some samplers and give a few a shot and see how I dig it. Thanks for your input. 

Some have creatine, some don't. There is absolutely no reason not to take creatine when exercising. There are no proven negative side effects, is cheap, and is definitively proven to aid performance. The reason some preworkouts don't have creatine is that it is available cheaply in bulk and can easily be mixed in. It makes you hold a little more water which is undesirable for dudes that look like the hulk going to competitions.

3-5 grams, post workout is what is recommended most but there is a lot of people who argue for it preworkout. Doesn't make a huge difference. No need to load / deload. It helps if you take it with a simple sugar (gatorade or something similar) but it isn't necessary.

I use this brand and mix it with my post workout protein shake.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Creatine-Powder-Unflavored/dp/B002DYIZEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357753148&sr=8-1&keywords=creatine

OK - I have been training for a sprint tri in May. This is part of my overall fitness goals as well as an upcoming physical I need to take in a few months. I went from 213 to 194 and I'm hitting all my cardio/weight training benchmarks. 

I do however want to intensify my workouts and my little brother is encouraging me to use NO Xplode for the next 6-8 weeks. I've never taken anything except for some Muscle Milk to up my protein. Anyone here use a pre-workout supplement? If so what are the results? Do you recommend or not? I am not looking to be huge by any means but toning has been important as it's definitely helping my swimming to have more full body strength. The cardio is taking care of itself. 

Some of you are much bigger on the weight training side so some neutral advice is welcome. 

as someone who lifts heavier for gains, i do not endorse creatine pre-workout supplements.  tried NO-xplode and other similar products and they usually gave me stomach aches, made me jittery, or just tasted just shit.  i never real saw any results that justified the price/displeasure of taking it anyway.

i stick to protein afterwards and maybe a protein bar or meal replacement bar a half our to an hour before hand for extra energy.  i'm not big on spending money on supplements outside of whey or casein protein.

and i 100% agree on taking fish oil.  even if you don't work out.  after i strained my should i started taking it religiously to help lubricate the joint.

Good stuff gents. I'm going to feel my way around this stuff but I like what you've offered enough that I'm not going to just jump in. I already do a pre/post workout protein drink and my energy levels are pretty strong. I push myself pretty hard and still get in a good bit of weight training. In an hour and 45 last night I biked 4.5 miles, ran 2.5 miles and did weight training for another hour after. So I feel like I'm doing something right as I'm seeing results. 

Creatine and nitric oxide supplements have a lot of evidence backing them up as performance boosters and I don't see any reason someone investing a good amount of time in exercising would not also invest in the key supplements. If money was tight, I'd find other ways to save.

They can definitely be had in isolated form without the taste, stimulants, "proprietary blends", stomach problems or any other negative you could find with preworkouts. I like the taste of them (water them down a bit more than recommended cause they are super sweet) and I've never had stomach problems.