Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

An ironman is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run, it's all endurance.

You dudes are crazy with your lifting, should keep it up! Before I stopped crossfit I my 1 rm for back squat was 150 which is almost 1.5 times my body weight. And my deadlift was 175. Couldn't keep that up, it's so hard to stay motivated to lift, I'd rather run for 3 hours.

Be proud of your numbers too. I'm sure you were looking great! (hey, it's the weight-lifting thread...think a little bit of vanity is ok).

Is the order fixed for the iron man? I'd like to take drowning out of the equation by swimming first.

I usually do a 55 mile bike ride every year (Boyne, MI to Mackinaw, MI) but it is pretty hilly and usually windy, so I think it is even harder than that. So I know I could handle the 100 mile bike ride. When I'm done with the 55 miles, I sure as hell don't think "I feel like running 26 miles" though. I don't know. I'm going to stick to dunking a basketball as my goal for now. That doesn't make me hurt just thinking about it.

My boss got all pissed because I hadn't lifted heavy in months and I front squatted 385. He hit a crazy number but seeing as I hadn't trained for max like he had the past 6 weeks he knew I could be stronger than him.

Do you do the 2 spotter thing when you max squat? I always work out at home alone. I have a power rack so I wouldn't kill myself if I went for a true max. The idea of bailing out with 200 something pounds on my back does not seem fun. I just err on the side of caution.

I am no ironman. Far from it. I'm starting with sprints but my training has me close to Olympic distances. So one step at a time but if I have a good couple races this spring I hope to jump up in class this summer.

I'm coming from being in the worst shape of my life to best in less than a year. Gotta prove to myself I'm really ready.

Do you do the 2 spotter thing when you max squat? I always work out at home alone. I have a power rack so I wouldn't kill myself if I went for a true max. The idea of bailing out with 200 something pounds on my back does not seem fun. I just err on the side of caution.

I usually do when I'm in the gym but my workout group is usually 2-6 people.  

But if I'm by myself I have bailed on 300+lbs.  But I use bumper plates.  I literally let go and step forward.  Opposite for front squats.

• 3 weeks later...

no weightlifting involved, but this seems like the best place to pat myself on the back for a bit.

biked 10 miles in 28 minutes yesterday. it was an indoor machine, so i'm not sure how accurate that is. 

hiked 4 miles today.

i feel fantastic. i was running trails at the same tempo i usually do in june. except i was running on a slick, snowy surface where rocks are far less visible. so much of a rush when you're running downhill on that with a full head of steam.

wish i'd tracked my run, because i'm pretty sure i PR'd that uphill trail. my whole body was ready to keep going, but my shins weren't having it. they'll be good to go next time. we're supposed to have awesome weather on sunday, so i'm definitely going to get up there again before easter obligations.

i probably haven't been in this kind of shape before april since high school. 

Nice. I've been pushing my swimming past a half mile continuous to begin my workouts. I feel awesome about it since when I started many months ago i needed a break after 6 lengths. My running and strength building have helped a ton.

I just finished a creatine cycle and am going to enjoy watching the water weight drop again. I forgot how much you retain with creatine.

i've been playing basketball on a weekly basis for a couple months now. i joined the group about 3 or 4 weeks after they made it a regular thing, and it showed. i was terrible- had no shot, no first step, no ball handling.. nothing. 

and then 3 weeks ago, everything clicked. i couldn't miss, and i was explosive. finally got my legs under me. it carried over into last week, and i've won 8 of my last 10 match-ups. we play 3v3 games to 11. in one matchup, i scored 10 points, and in another scored 8. 

after last week's session, i felt so good that i jumped on the bike for another 10 miles.

i just feel so motivated- tonight i came home from my hike.. made myself a salad, did some laundry, cleaned my room, and just *completed* some studying. 

i'm awake later than i intended to be, but i still plan on getting an early start tomorrow. 

it's amazing what a few more hours of daylight can do for a man.

Nice. I've been pushing my swimming past a half mile continuous to begin my workouts. I feel awesome about it since when I started many months ago i needed a break after 6 lengths. My running and strength building have helped a ton.

I just finished a creatine cycle and am going to enjoy watching the water weight drop again. I forgot how much you retain with creatine.

good place for a question!

how important is it to cycle creatine?  i've been supplementing with about 5g for the past month either 30 min before of after each workout.  i didn't load in the beginning.  i've read i can just keep on with the routine, but i'd rather hear from someone with experience.  

I've read it both ways and tend towards what gives you results. I prefer cycling. If you are getting results and like how your body is responding then you are doing fine. My brother was into loading cycles and fell ill. His doctor claimed it was the effect of too much creatine on his kidneys. Was that it? Not sure but like anything you need to pay attention to dosage in relation to desired results.

As far as I know, there are no medically documented negative side effects to supplementing creatine. If someone could find one, I'd love to read it. That is not to say you cannot have too much of a good thing. People have died from drinking too much water.

Your average dude should not be concerned with water weight. Someone who is in competitions and trying to squeeze that last little bit of water out of their body so every little vein bulges out of their body cares about water weight. For your average dude going to the gym a couple times a week and just trying to look fit, focus on body fat (when trying to lose weight) and increasing the weight you are moving (when trying to bulk up). The only reason you should care about how much water is in your body is if there is not enough (your pee should be clear, definitely not dark yellow).

straight up.  thanks for the perspective.  all the research i've done has shown good things coming from creatine when used moderately.  last year at this time i was 30 fat punds heavier than i am now.  i've since changed my diet and worked routine exercise in.  since i started with the creatine, i've probably put on 3-4 pounds, but my workouts have been getting more intense.  i'm close to being in decent shape, i just need to get rid of my... spare tire :(.  if anyone has any good tips (aside from the tried and true cardio to burn more calories than i eat), i'd be psyched to hear them.  and yea, i know i should cut down on weekend beers.  :)

with you guys talking about creatine and cycling... you've got me curious. i've never been familiar with the stuff, but can someone give me a quick rundown?

basically, during the summer, my physical activity is:

biking: road and trail anywhere from 8-40 miles at a time

hiking: up and downhill interval running

frisbee, softball, basketball

i try to take part in any of these 3-5 days a week.. and with my work schedule, i'll have more opportunity.

so yeah, with all that said- would creatine provide any benefits for me?

Look at those 3-4 pounds just like the fluctuations in the stock market. It goes up and down in the short term, but as long as it goes up over the long term, no reason to worry about the day to day stuff.

I'm taking EC right now. It without question, 100% works, but it is a level or two above just taking creatine and protein powder. If you aren't ready to give up alcohol pretty much completely while taking it for a month or two, you have no business on it.

Other than that, no secrets. Calories imbalance and a stick to the plan. It takes time. Belly fat is stubborn! If you dropped 30 last year you are clearly doing things right. Keep up with it unless you feel like you have hit a plateau.

i think i have hit a plateau, but despite my weight not changing much, i'm seeing some results in my body.  my waist feels a bit more trim, and my chest and arms are getting bigger.  i've been attributing it to how cranking up my workouts and adding creatine is turning more fat to muscle.  i'm hoping that if i keep up with it, the gut will subside by summertime.  

with you guys talking about creatine and cycling... you've got me curious. i've never been familiar with the stuff, but can someone give me a quick rundown?

basically, during the summer, my physical activity is:

biking: road and trail anywhere from 8-40 miles at a time

hiking: up and downhill interval running

frisbee, softball, basketball

i try to take part in any of these 3-5 days a week.. and with my work schedule, i'll have more opportunity.

so yeah, with all that said- would creatine provide any benefits for me?

Google can tell you more (not saying I can't answer your question, just not as detailed as someone else who has taken the proper amount of time to do it).

Our bodies have two paths for creating energy for our muscles to use -- aerobic and anaerobic. Aerobic uses the bodies normal methods, some kinda chemical processes between sugar and oxygen, breaking down stored fat into sugar, etc.

Anaerobic work is done with special sugar in our bodies called ATP. It is stored in the muscles and called upon when we need a lot of energy very quickly (ie, lifting heavy weights).

Someone lifting weights is likely to wear out their muscle's supply of ATP quicker than the body can regenerate it. Creatine is a supplement that helps the muscles to store more or create more.

I'm hesitant to say more because I don't speak from a biochemistry perspective. From a practical perspective, it helps give our muscles anaerobic energy. It is also the safest form of supplement out there, right along with a multivitamin and a protein drink.

I really could not hurt you to supplement it when mostly doing cardio. I'm sure there are times when you are dipping into your muscle's ATP (biking up a hill for example). It's pretty much a necessity for a weight-lifter (or at least it should be). It's pretty cheap. You may want to just give it a try and see.

FYI -- creatine is absorbed into our bodies easier with a simple sugar. Some creatine is sold that is pretty close to a gatorade when mixed as far as sugar content. I try and take as little sugar in my diet as I can. So it's a balancing act between getting some sugar (actually not sugar, it is about getting the insulin levels up a little) and not drinking pure sugar. I buy pure creatine (no sugar at all, it is flavorless) and take it with a post-workout protein drink, maybe eat an apple too, etc. Give myself a little insulin spike but I'm not willing to drink something with 40 grams of sugar in it.

If that wasn't clear, let me know.

Lebowski - my brother went on a prolonged, ie not recommended, period of loading. There is no doubt he had kidney issues that resolved themselves with doctor care. I have no idea what other supplements he might have been combining in that period. All I know is that there is a recommended path for these things and it's best to oblige them. 

The water weight for me matters because I'm running on a damaged knee. I know the difference between how my joints feel when I'm running at 198-200 vs when I'm carrying my preferred weight of 193/194. It's just about knowing your body. You are right that no one should care much about water weight - it comes, it goes, it is healthy. I'm heading into my last six weeks before my first ever Triathlon so I'm going to cut my weight to lessen the impact of running on concrete to my knees. I am looking at times from last years competition and if I am reading right I should be able to finish around Top-50 out of 200. I have seconds to shave in my running and swimming so this is getting pretty fun. 

Suchashorttime - pay attention to what your body tells you. I know the difference of a few pounds to my performance - it won't make a difference to someone else. 

Ry - keep up the B-Ball. I've been playing with the same group of guys once a week (except after I tore my ankle and knee) for eleven years. I love getting in the sprint work and the social aspect is good for adrenaline. All the training alone is fine but feeling a bit of friendly competition is fun. 

i think i have hit a plateau, but despite my weight not changing much, i'm seeing some results in my body.  my waist feels a bit more trim, and my chest and arms are getting bigger.  i've been attributing it to how cranking up my workouts and adding creatine is turning more fat to muscle.  i'm hoping that if i keep up with it, the gut will subside by summertime.  

I'm close to being able to say I "have abs". Hopefully after one more month of cutting there will be no question.

I have tone 50k situps over my life and a comparable amount of cardio. Nothing ever worked as well as a weight training cycle (based heavily on the squat, deadlift, and bench press but with other exercises designed to help progression with these lifts) and careful dieting.

I do zero cardio and zero ab exercises. Just sharing what has worked for me.

I'm close to being able to say I "have abs". Hopefully after one more month of cutting there will be no question.

I have tone 50k situps over my life and a comparable amount of cardio. Nothing ever worked as well as a weight training cycle (based heavily on the squat, deadlift, and bench press but with other exercises designed to help progression with these lifts) and careful dieting.

I do zero cardio and zero ab exercises. Just sharing what has worked for me.

good perspective.  the day i'm close to being able to say i have abs is going to be a great day.

perviously, i was only weight training, but wasn't seeing any loss in belly fat.  i started cutting my workouts into ~30-45 mins intense working out of 1-2 muscle groups and ~30-45 mins of cardio 4-5x / week, and i'm starting to see some results.  plus, i'm a big fan of the cardio high.  i started a vegan diet about 6 months ago, so i have a pretty decent diet built in.  my vice is weekend beers, that's about it.  not really into sweets or heavy carbs.  

Sure, Dave. Your scenario is similar to the comment I made about a competition lifter wanting to squeeze all the water out of their body. For a specific performance reason, it might make sense to care about water weight. For someone just "going to the gym to try and look good", trying to slim down by getting rid of water instead of fat is just taking a shortcut.

That sucks you have to constantly work around your knees. I'm pretty sure I screwed up a tendon in my left ankle, right where the foot and shin meet on the front side of my body. It's fine 99% of the time but sometimes it will just give out and then hurt for days. Usually the cause is that I just forgot about it and decided to run up some stairs.

I saw a doctor one time and he recommended against anything like surgery. I guess I just gotta live with it. Luckily, it almost never holds me back. I don't even understand what is wrong. SOMETHING isn't right there, though.