Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

gonna start doing workouts first thing in the morning before heading to work (6 AM or 7 AM)... I'll prollie be burning about 1000 Calories each workout. 

My question is, what would be the best post workout/breakfast food to have afterwards? Since I'm sure the single cereal servings and coffee I get at work will not do the trick any more. 

gonna start doing workouts first thing in the morning before heading to work (6 AM or 7 AM)... I'll prollie be burning about 1000 Calories each workout. 

My question is, what would be the best post workout/breakfast food to have afterwards? Since I'm sure the single cereal servings and coffee I get at work will not do the trick any more. 

Porridge oats with a spoon full of peanut butter should sort you out. Best way to start the day!

Trying to put on some size -- whey protein shake, peanut butter, chicken, fish (ie, get a good amount of protein in you) and something like an apple or a carb to replenish some of your bodies sugar reserves

Trying to slim down -- what you eat isn't as important as that there is a calorie imbalance. I'd still get a good amount of protein in you as even if you are doing mostly cardio as your muscles will go into rebuilding mode after you are done. Don't go carb crazy. Veggies are everyone's best friend on a diet. Ideally you could keep attacking your bodies fat stores throughout the day (ie, keep the post breakfast calories low and keep a deficit going) but if you feel like you are in that "haven't eaten in too long" foggy headed feeling, then definitely eat a little more.

I bought a tub of sugar free fiber and I mix it into my morning coffee everyday. It completely dissolves and you can't taste it. Fiber is a big part of making you feel full. Helps. Turns your morning coffee into more of a "zero calorie snack".

Porridge oats with a spoon full of peanut butter should sort you out. Best way to start the day!

This is about 4g of protein. Not enough. Average 180 pound man working out should take in approx 80 grams of protein a day. I would venture that if you work out in the morning, you want at least 20-30 of those right after. And protein isn't something you want to go Price is Right on (closest without going over). Get a ton of it in your body so it is not the limiting factor in your progression.

Actually I wasn't factoring in the Oat protein. My bad. Still in the 10-15 gram of protein range, which is better but still too low for my taste.

1 shake of whey, 30 grams of protein, and it's a "complete" protein (has all the amino acids required to build human tissue, which I'm not sure can be said for the oat + peanut butter combo. Have to be more careful with non-animal based proteins). Easiest way to just not have to worry about it.

Trying to put on some size -- whey protein shake, peanut butter, chicken, fish (ie, get a good amount of protein in you) and something like an apple or a carb to replenish some of your bodies sugar reserves

Trying to slim down -- what you eat isn't as important as that there is a calorie imbalance. I'd still get a good amount of protein in you as even if you are doing mostly cardio as your muscles will go into rebuilding mode after you are done. Don't go carb crazy. Veggies are everyone's best friend on a diet. Ideally you could keep attacking your bodies fat stores throughout the day (ie, keep the post breakfast calories low and keep a deficit going) but if you feel like you are in that "haven't eaten in too long" foggy headed feeling, then definitely eat a little more.

I bought a tub of sugar free fiber and I mix it into my morning coffee everyday. It completely dissolves and you can't taste it. Fiber is a big part of making you feel full. Helps. Turns your morning coffee into more of a "zero calorie snack".

This is about 4g of protein. Not enough. Average 180 pound man working out should take in approx 80 grams of protein a day. I would venture that if you work out in the morning, you want at least 20-30 of those right after. And protein isn't something you want to go Price is Right on (closest without going over). Get a ton of it in your body so it is not the limiting factor in your progression.

Well I don't think I need to slim down being 6'10.5 and 170 lbs lol. I will prollie go with the putting on some size option. I was thinking of when I come home making a whey protein shake with 1 Tblspn peanut butter and a frozen banana blended in. 

I don't have the shake stuff yet, I was going to go to the store tonight to do some shopping (any recs?). Right now, I'm starting on 3 days a week and then escalating to 5 once things get more routine/comfortable. 

This morning's post workout meal was 2 scrambled eggs with cheese and a cup of OJ. prollie not the best, but it's what I had at the time. and I didn't want to dive into bread. 

Thoughts?

Well I don't think I need to slim down being 6'10.5 and 170 lbs lol. I will prollie go with the putting on some size option. I was thinking of when I come home making a whey protein shake with 1 Tblspn peanut butter and a frozen banana blended in. 

I don't have the shake stuff yet, I was going to go to the store tonight to do some shopping (any recs?). Right now, I'm starting on 3 days a week and then escalating to 5 once things get more routine/comfortable. 

This morning's post workout meal was 2 scrambled eggs with cheese and a cup of OJ. prollie not the best, but it's what I had at the time. and I didn't want to dive into bread. 

Thoughts?

First though -- 6'10 and half? You're a giant!

Whey + Peanut Butter + Banana is a great choice. Eggs are too.

OJ is bad. Pretty much every conventional dieting guide is built on the idea that most fat gets an unfair bad rap (just avoid the worst stuff, like a MC D's cheeseburger and tons of red meat) but that you really want to watch the amount of sugar you take in. Look at the amount of sugar per serving on the label:

< 5 grams / serving -- Low to no sugar. Eat away.

5-10 grams / serving -- It's not the best but it is ok. Don't worry too much.

10-20 grams / serving -- maybe occasionally treat yourself

20+ grams / serving -- Maybe eat a slice of cake on your birthday but otherwise stay away!

OJ has about 25 grams of sugar per 8 ounce serving. It's right there with drinking Coca-Cola.

One protein shake will go a long way to hitting the protein number. But overall, you gotta eat to grow. Given that you have a relatively thin build, if you start lifting weights you should see nice rapid improvement over the first couple months. Wouldn't be unrealistic for someone your size to take in 3-5k calories a day when working out. If you don't want to micromanage it (ie, count calories, use food scales, etc) just focus on getting a lot of good food into you (lots of proteins, nuts, legumes, vegetables, and some fruits and complex carbs). 4 or 5 good but not huge meals a day.

As far as what protein to buy, it is mostly the same thing. ON is pretty well liked:

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368547980&sr=8-1&keywords=whey

Seems expensive, but it will last a long time. The key is just read the label and make sure it isn't loaded with sugar. The sugar makes them taste a little better but you don't want it. Same goes for protein bars -- there are decent ones and there are ones that are essentially candy bars with some protein in them. Just check the labels.

For shakes, I would recommend this even if it was $30. Works way better than a spoon so that you don't end up eating undissolved clumps of powder.

http://www.amazon.com/Sundesa-BB28-MC01-BlenderBottle%C2%AE-Classic-28-ounce/dp/B0018G4ZEW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1368548170&sr=1-1&keywords=blender+bottle

And this is already pretty long so I'm not going to go too much into exercise programming but a lot of people think 3 days a week is plenty when trying to get stronger. Overtraining is almost as bad as under. You want to really focus on pushing more weight or doing more reps, and if you are always tired from overexercising, you won't make progression. This would be a read:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

The honest answer is that there are people out there who know a lot more about exercising than you and me combined so don't think "I will just do what feels right". Trust that the gym rats and strength coaches know more than you and follow their lead. That's my advice.

my boyfriend uses this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dymatize-Nutrition-Fusion-Chocolate-5-15-Pound/dp/B003ODOU1K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_1

Dymatize Elite Fusion 7 protein powder. he said it's the best tasting stuff he's tried. I think his is either chocolate or chocolate peanut butter.

Everyone is different but the more that I take them, the more I just want an isolate (ie, just protein, not added sugar / fat to make it taste better).

Some of those protein drinks taste pretty damn good but it's not like I am sitting down and enjoying a meal. I drink the thing in 5 seconds. I just look at it as a quick chore to get through and then I enjoy the real food I eat afterwards.

Damn, thats a lot of protein in 5 seconds (assuming you drink 50g).

One scoop not two, then I usually try and eat some whole foods with protein in them after.

I don't know if the 5 seconds number is accurate or not but general point was. I don't sip it and drag it out. Tilt it back, suck the whole thing down, get it over with. That's my method.

Damn, thats a lot of protein in 5 seconds (assuming you drink 50g).

I'd say 50g is far too much for one serving like. You're body can't process that much at once so you'll just end up shitting & wasting a load.

Just started using BCAA's as a separate supplement myself (5g scope on a morning, after training & before bed) and it helps a lot with recovery time for sure.

I'd say 50g is far too much for one serving like. You're body can't process that much at once so you'll just end up shitting & wasting a load.

Just started using BCAA's as a separate supplement myself (5g scope on a morning, after training & before bed) and it helps a lot with recovery time for sure.

The amount of protein needed is body dependant and also depends on the level of exercise. For a larger man (strong build or well over 6 feet) 50 grams might be necessary after a good workout. But Hitting your daily protein goal is much more important than the timing. Minimum, you want .5 grams per pound when working out. There is really no reason not to shoot for .75-1 gram per pound if you are trying to get bigger. Why would you sweat your ass off in the gym lifting hundreds of pounds and not make sure you are well over your protein needs? The only way you can have "too much" is if your body is converting large amounts of it to fat (it won't shit out energy. Not programmed that way. Will store it). Just watch your overall calories and you really can't have too much protein (at least without trying VERY hard).

Bcaas and protein are closely related. A lot of protein in a diet will supply all the bcaas your body needs. I believe the same principle applies in taking bcaas post-workout. Why not? It cost 25 cents for a serving so just take them and are sure they aren't the weak link in your chain of diet, exercise, and rest. But from what you have said it sounds like you are substituting adequate protein intake with BCAAs. I'm not sure exactly how this will work for you but it is probably suboptimal. Protein gives you the full blend and is the way our bodies are used to getting these nutrients. You want BCAAs to supplement protein, not replace it.

Bcaas and protein are closely related. A lot of protein in a diet will supply all the bcaas your body needs. I believe the same principle applies in taking bcaas post-workout. Why not? It cost 25 cents for a serving so just take them and are sure they aren't the weak link in your chain of diet, exercise, and rest. But from what you have said it sounds like you are substituting adequate protein intake with BCAAs. I'm not sure exactly how this will work for you but it is probably suboptimal. Protein gives you the full blend and is the way our bodies are used to getting these nutrients. You want BCAAs to supplement protein, not replace it.

For the protein bit I said, i'm just going off what i've been told off a guy a used to work and train with (he did know what he was on about. being a 15 time world powerlifting champion haha) I don't really have that much knowledge on how they work etc, just what i need to take.

I'm not substituting the bcaa's for protein. It's an extra! I still take 20g first thing on a morning, 40g within half an hour after training (around 7.30/8pm) then a 30g casein before bed (around 10.30/11pm). Its working well so far.

stuck around my same weight (13st 9/10lbs) but dropped down to 13% body fat now. summers coming!

When I was cutting a while ago, I was eating almost 300g of protein a day, 50g a meal. I felt like I could skin a bear with my teeth. I still get at least 100g, but usually more.

Also got my deadlift to 275 the other day. I'm at a stage right now that I'm gaining strength by the week. It feels awesome.