Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

When I was cutting a while ago, I was eating almost 300g of protein a day, 50g a meal. I felt like I could skin a bear with my teeth. I still get at least 100g, but usually more.

Also got my deadlift to 275 the other day. I'm at a stage right now that I'm gaining strength by the week. It feels awesome.

I've been a little stuck. I think I have progressed to the point where a weekly cycle isn't going to work anymore. I'm switching to alternating weeks of heavy / light. Doing too many sets near my max but not improving. 

Does anyone do any forearms workouts? Is that unnecessary?

What would you do to work your forearms? Those things you grip in your hands and squeeze? They do help your grip strength. I think of it more as something to throw in when you are just sitting on the couch doing nothing than something I am going to plan and monitor progress on.

Well i was stuck for a while too. What I do now, and have been doing since, August maybe, is 6 week cycles. Now, I'm finishing up high weight with 4 reps. So whatever I can get up 4 times, safely, is what I do. I always have a spotter, so I'm constantly trying more weight, and sometimes will max. Here...

Day1: standing barbell shoulder press, deadlift, pullups

Day2: bench press, squats (I drop deep, like taking a shit in the woods), dips.

With a few days rest in between, and plenty of rest between sets.

In about two weeks I'm moving to all dumbell exercises, it's going to be interesting because I've never completely focused on dumbells alone. But I'm looking forward to the challenge. Not looking forward to losing strength however.

What would you do to work your forearms? Those things you grip in your hands and squeeze? They do help your grip strength. I think of it more as something to throw in when you are just sitting on the couch doing nothing than something I am going to plan and monitor progress on.

I was just curious. I never do them but I didn't know if people actually did. 

Freaking did my first Tri - long road to get here.

8754519784_1ef3ec0146.jpg

Here is my rundown from Facebook:

Not long ago my friend Stu told me everyone looks good at the Finish Line. I’m pretty sure I defy that rule but I hit most of my goals for my first race. Late last summer I sat at a doughy 213 and committed to change. My race day weight of 195 is something I’m proud of though I’m starting to think that if I want to really run I am more suited to 185 for the sake of my knees. New goals are a good thing I suppose.

My training goal for my first time out was to do this in 1:45:00 – I came in at 1:45:40. I didn’t train to compete in a rain storm so I’ll cut myself a bit of slack.

Here is what I learned:

1. You will never forget the taste of a mouth full of Navesink River Water.
  2. I had three hours of sleep last night and need to improve on that for sure.
  3. My first open water swim time was solid. My bike time was underwhelming by my training standards and my run got easier the further I got into it. Tons of room for improvement.
  4. I ran alongside a fellow who pulled his handicapped son in a dingy for the swim, on his bike then ran with him. Everyone should see such a display in person – I’ll never say I can’t again. Incredibly inspiring.
  5. I’ve had three knee surgeries, two degenerated discs in my back and currently a slightly sprained ankle – my body is what it is and I can compete against myself just fine at this point in my life. I’ve held myself back for years – see point 4 above. I can also improve my body and am.
  6. I look good in bike shorts.
  7. I wanted to finish and finish around the middle of my age group. I almost hit both but came in a few minutes past the middle of the pack.
  8. I am not sure if this is the sport for me but I owe myself another race in a month or two to know for sure and see if I can improve.
  9. The more I think about it the angrier I am at my bike time – good sign since redemption is a hell of a motivator going forward. 

Starting a cutting phase, it's only been a few days and I notice some bloat is gone. My diet is awesome, small meals full of protein all day, picked up some Cellucor Super HD for an edge, and I'm pulling 2-a-days, gym in the morning and something in the evening: push-ups, running, something. 

I've worked real hard for the last few months, really gaining strength so it'll be sad to see some of it go, but I've gained a lot of muscle and I want to see what it looks like. Too much fat right now.

I haven't gone through too many cutting cycles but two things I've learned:

1) Over the counter thermos help but EC is just the best. With all of them, though, given that we are approaching the summer months, be careful. People have died with those drugs in their system. However, the real cause is dehydration combined with overheating, and the thermo just contributes to that. They are all diuretics. Drink a lot of water, don't push your heart-rate to 99% of its max while working out, try to avoid or at least limit alcohol consumption, and don't spend 12 straight hours in the sun in 95 degree weather. Might not need to be said, but can't hurt.

2) This is just my personal experience, but I have found that I keep the strength that I have built up by continuing with the same strength training routine I've been using, only backing off a little. For example, I worked my max bench up to 280 then cut. I started going for sets of 10+ reps when benching. When I went back to trying to put on size, I was only able to bench about 230. Too much strength given away during the cutting. I'm still going to try and "lift heavy" during the cutting phase (versus switching to more reps, less weight) but just not push myself TOO hard.

is 180lbs considered average for a man or a dwarf :P DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO!?

Trying to put on some size -- whey protein shake, peanut butter, chicken, fish (ie, get a good amount of protein in you) and something like an apple or a carb to replenish some of your bodies sugar reserves

Trying to slim down -- what you eat isn't as important as that there is a calorie imbalance. I'd still get a good amount of protein in you as even if you are doing mostly cardio as your muscles will go into rebuilding mode after you are done. Don't go carb crazy. Veggies are everyone's best friend on a diet. Ideally you could keep attacking your bodies fat stores throughout the day (ie, keep the post breakfast calories low and keep a deficit going) but if you feel like you are in that "haven't eaten in too long" foggy headed feeling, then definitely eat a little more.

I bought a tub of sugar free fiber and I mix it into my morning coffee everyday. It completely dissolves and you can't taste it. Fiber is a big part of making you feel full. Helps. Turns your morning coffee into more of a "zero calorie snack".

This is about 4g of protein. Not enough. Average 180 pound man working out should take in approx 80 grams of protein a day. I would venture that if you work out in the morning, you want at least 20-30 of those right after. And protein isn't something you want to go Price is Right on (closest without going over). Get a ton of it in your body so it is not the limiting factor in your progression.

is 180lbs considered average for a man or a dwarf :P DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO!?

Ha. 6 foot, 192 at the moment. Haven't figured out a way to work out my bones yet.

At least I probably don't have to worry about slamming my head into low hanging ceilings all the time.

What are you max lifts?

I haven't gone through too many cutting cycles but two things I've learned:

1) Over the counter thermos help but EC is just the best. With all of them, though, given that we are approaching the summer months, be careful. People have died with those drugs in their system. However, the real cause is dehydration combined with overheating, and the thermo just contributes to that. They are all diuretics. Drink a lot of water, don't push your heart-rate to 99% of its max while working out, try to avoid or at least limit alcohol consumption, and don't spend 12 straight hours in the sun in 95 degree weather. Might not need to be said, but can't hurt.

2) This is just my personal experience, but I have found that I keep the strength that I have built up by continuing with the same strength training routine I've been using, only backing off a little. For example, I worked my max bench up to 280 then cut. I started going for sets of 10+ reps when benching. When I went back to trying to put on size, I was only able to bench about 230. Too much strength given away during the cutting. I'm still going to try and "lift heavy" during the cutting phase (versus switching to more reps, less weight) but just not push myself TOO hard.

I was in the Army, I understand about hydration, I've seen way too many people drop.

That's what I really should have done, cut while I was in low rep high weight, to avoid really tearing up my muscles.

I was in the Army, I understand about hydration, I've seen way too many people drop.

That's what I really should have done, cut while I was in low rep high weight, to avoid really tearing up my muscles.

Yeah, from your posts it seemed like you know what you are doing. Just thought it was better to tell someone something they already knew than assume the opposite and have them hurt themselves.

I also ditched the NOXplode for AminoX and far prefer it a couple weeks later. I should have cycled off it a long time ago. I found it gave a boost late in my workouts early on but I'm in really good cardio shape so it made no sense any longer. Haven't missed it yet. 

I hear you about losing strength during different cycles. I've resolved to focus more on tone than strength building for the moment since I want to be more in race shape than anything. I plan to go on more of a build in the Fall.  That said I am building strength slowly and am ready to take another step or two up on my bench (not near 280 though - Can't even imagine getting beneath that bar ha ha)

Good discussions in here as always.

In regards to cutting, does anyone he have any experience with supplements like hydroxycut, lipo6, etc? I'm a pretty thin dude by nature, but fell victim to months of binge drinking combined with a shitty diet, and now I'm trying to get back to my ideal trim physique. I already have a pretty consistent diet and work out pretty frequently, though don't do a lot of heavy lifting cuz I'm not trying to get beefcake or anything. Was just curious if supplements would really add any assistance to getting me to where I'm wanting to be.

In regards to cutting, does anyone he have any experience with supplements like hydroxycut, lipo6, etc? I'm a pretty thin dude by nature, but fell victim to months of binge drinking combined with a shitty diet, and now I'm trying to get back to my ideal trim physique. I already have a pretty consistent diet and work out pretty frequently, though don't do a lot of heavy lifting cuz I'm not trying to get beefcake or anything. Was just curious if supplements would really add any assistance to getting me to where I'm wanting to be.

Thebiglebowski's mentioned it a few times and it seems that EC (ephedrine and caffeine) is a great fat burner. I've been thinking about doing it to try and trim up for summer I just haven't gotten around to buying anything yet. You'll probably want to research it a bit yourself but a few sites have dosing schedules, here's sample one http://www.hotnfit.com/fat_loss/EC_dosages.html

Thebiglebowski's mentioned it a few times and it seems that EC (ephedrine and caffeine) is a great fat burner. I've been thinking about doing it to try and trim up for summer I just haven't gotten around to buying anything yet. You'll probably want to research it a bit yourself but a few sites have dosing schedules, here's sample one http://www.hotnfit.com/fat_loss/EC_dosages.html

Yeah. Ephedra used to be THE fat burner used by everybody. Then some people died with it in their system (a combination of dehydration and heat stroke, one of them was a 300 pound offensive lineman practicing in the summer. Forget the name). It was banned. It's been used for thousands and thousands of years, though.

Ephedrine is a behind the counter, non-prescription decongestant. When combined with caffeine, it creates ephedrine alkaloids, which make your heart beat a little faster (raising your metabolism) and significantly curb your appetite. The appetite effect wears off after a couple weeks.

It falls into a kind of psuedo-legality. It is banned for NCAA athletes. It's not in over the counter fat burners anymore. But it is still easy and readily available.

The over the counter fat burners have switched to a bunch of proprietary blends that help but are not as good (usually some mixture of caffeine, black pepper extract, and some really complex chemical formulas that are supposed to curb appetite). They also help. But it also all comes down to diet. Just a tool to help create a calorie imbalance.

If you are thinking about taking a specific over the counter thermo let me know and I can tell you what I know about the ingredients. I am decently well read in this stuff.