Listening Sessions

Maybe this has been done before but I didn't know what to search for.

In this thread discuss the last time (or any time) you put some records on that you were itching to spin and just chilled out and listened and what you played and if you feel up to it what kind of turntable you played them on.

Maybe this is a stupid idea for a thread but I thought it might be cool to talk a little bit about some of your habits in specific instances of record listening.

Last night I was chilling in my bedroom and just wanted to spin some records that I spend so much time finding and buying so I did that. Felt good.

Played:

Tomahawk - S/T

Converge - Jane Doe (A and B sides)

Converge - You Fail Me (Side A)

Jesus Lizard - Liar

Jesus Lizard - Down

The Machine - Drie

So yeah, it was a rockin' out by myself kind of night. I had fun though. I was gettin' kind of ADD about what I was playing as you can see by the Converge sides and I kind of A/B'd between my original red YFM and the 2010 black repress. Didn't notice an incredible difference. I had Species on mute on the TV during the first three records listed and did some internet browsing on my phone off and on during the rest. Played the first three records on my Audio Technica ATLP120 and the last three on my Numark TT-200.

Go!

I usually pull out about 4-5 records that I plan on listening to and go from there. 90% of the time, I either have sports on mute, or am doing homework at the same time.

On tap for tonight is

Mixtapes - Even On The Worst Nights

Anberlin - Never Take Friendship Personal

Seahaven - Winter Forever

Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over The Sea

and finishing with some Pianos Become The Teeth - The Lack Long After

when i read the title i kind of thought this would be a thread about having a "listening party" with your favorite group of drunk hoodrat friends and what you and yours have spun recently and how it went. shrug.

anyway. i typically spin my newer records hard for about a month before slipping them back into my collection and picking out what i want to hear each night. and i also usually listen to my records when i'm doing my homework. or doing household chores. getting up to flip/change is actually a welcomed break from these tasks.

since these are newer to me i've been spinning:

the starting line - early years

paramore - brand new eyes

pretty much back to back on repeat.

my setup is shit. but it's MY shit. i had one of those awful 3 in 1 things. turntable/cd/cassette. junk had to go. i spent the better half of this year buying thrift store turntables/receivers/speakers. lots were trash. the ones worth saving i took apart and cleaned/bought new parts for. i'm happy with the sound now and happy i can stop hunting.

Maybe this has been done before but I didn't know what to search for.

In this thread discuss the last time (or any time) you put some records on that you were itching to spin and just chilled out and listened and what you played and if you feel up to it what kind of turntable you played them on.

Maybe this is a stupid idea for a thread but I thought it might be cool to talk a little bit about some of your habits in specific instances of record listening.

Last night I was chilling in my bedroom and just wanted to spin some records that I spend so much time finding and buying so I did that. Felt good.

Played:

Tomahawk - S/T

Converge - Jane Doe (A and B sides)

Converge - You Fail Me (Side A)

Jesus Lizard - Liar

Jesus Lizard - Down

The Machine - Drie

So yeah, it was a rockin' out by myself kind of night. I had fun though. I was gettin' kind of ADD about what I was playing as you can see by the Converge sides and I kind of A/B'd between my original red YFM and the 2010 black repress. Didn't notice an incredible difference. I had Species on mute on the TV during the first three records listed and did some internet browsing on my phone off and on during the rest. Played the first three records on my Audio Technica ATLP120 and the last three on my Numark TT-200.

Go!

How is the ATLP120? Thinking about getting that one for my first real player.

I think one of the coolest listening sessions I ever had was back in September. My cousin and I listened to:

Murder by Death - Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon

Circa Survive - Violent Waves

And drank whiskey and vodka while we played pool and had bro time. We were listening on my cousin's shitty Crosley player, but it was alright.

As far as just chilling in my room, I think the last real listening session was a while back, as I've been super busy. It was:

The Academy Is... - Fast Times

The Almost - Southern Weather

Murder By Death - Red of Tooth & Claw

Murder by Death - In Bocca Al Lupo

I listen on my AT LP-60. I've got an 80s Pioneer receiver with a phono input and a pair of speakers I paid $2 for that have done me very well. It's not the most high- end setup, but it definitely works for my small room. I love my ATLP60, even if its not super fancy. It's fully auto, which helps me out because I have really bad eyes and am always scared dropping the needle manually. The $2 speakers are badass, but are wearing thin, and my aunt's boyfriend is about to give me some really nice ones.

How is the ATLP120? Thinking about getting that one for my first real player.

Its not bad by any means. I feel like the stock cartridge could be swapped for something a bit better. its nothing to scoff at though. As far as the table is concerned, the motor is a bit loud and can be heard once in a while through the music. Just a very faint swooshing sound. And I almost never notice it anymore where I used to notice it a lot. It looks really cool but in comparison to me TT-200, it feels kind of hollow which I feel contributes to acoustically amplifying the sound of the motor through the platter. The TT-200 is a TANK. The ATLP120 feels fragile by comparison. The tonearm feels more stable on the TT-200 as well. Its not a bad table at all. What is really cool about it is that it looks like the classic Technics SL-1200 or whichever one. Its a cool table. I use it more than the Numark however because it has the attached lid. If it had auto return, I'd be in heaven.