Holy crap...Sansui AU-505 amp swap

I just got a vintage Sansui AU-505 solid state amp (for free from a buddy even) and swapped out my modern Onkyo TX-DS595 (from about 2001 prob), which was my first surround sound receiver...I put that w/ my turntable instead of my old Kenwood receiver when I upgraded my home theatre receiver (to a diff Onkyo w/ HDMI inputs). The Onkyos were great for their price range and I was always happy w/ them for watching movies. And w/ records it seemed fine enough.

But I just hooked up the Sansui and all I can say is holy wow...whoa...and I'm still running my original JBL speakers from 1993. When I finally get the upgraded bookshelf speakers and stands and a sub...

hm, i have no idea. the amp has really tight holes for speaker wire too. the old spring style. i had to take off my nice and neat banana end plugs and twist the wire tight to get 'em in there.

i'm not really lacking for bass at the moment either. my wife said the floor is shaking upstairs hah. it's not even turned up very loud. the volume is between 2-3 and the bass dial is at +2.

Great deal, good buy!

Wow, this should be posted all over this sub-forum. Those evo's are pretty good, and unbeatable for the price, by a long shot.

Unbeatable? I'd take the DefTec BP8 pair for $500. The Warfdales, according to their frequency range (I know it means little in real world listening) can't properly reproduce the low E on a bass guitar (around 44htz). Still great deal, and I'm sure the buyer will be very happy.

Unbeatable? I'd take the DefTec BP8 pair for $500. The Warfdales, according to their frequency range (I know it means little in real world listening) can't properly reproduce the low E on a bass guitar (around 44htz). Still great deal, and I'm sure the buyer will be very happy.

Well the evo2-20 is essentially just a bookshelf speaker in a larger box, so the low end extension is limited, but there really is much more to it than the numbers would suggest. First off, I'm willing to bet my record collection that sound quality-wise there's just no fair comparison between the two.

The specs listed on the Def Tech site are laughable. There is no indication what spl margin the frequency response is measured in. The norm is ±3dB, but there is zero chance that two 5" drivers are able to go to 22Hz within this range, because my sub barely manages it, and it's a beast of a sub. The 57Hz lower limit on the evos doesn't mean that they won't reproduce frequencies below that, it just means that the spl will drop rapidly. My standmounts are rated at 39-34k at ±3dB, and they reproduce audible sounds down to around 23Hz.

I also just saw that they have evo2-30s on the musicdirect site for $660, a pair of these and the average music enthusiast can forget about upgrading for a long, long time.

I run my Cambridge Azur amp through a Polk sub. The sub has outputs, so I have Poik Monitors running out.

I use all speaker wire.

Only problem I run into is that (I think because the sub is mono) I have to change the balance on the amp one way or another (+1 either way) to get the sub to produce any bass. Since the balance is only off by 1, you can't REALLY hear the directional volume difference unless you're sitting practically on top of the speakers.

Very nice!!!  

I'd love to rock a Pre-amp/Amp combination.  It's really the best way to properly do a 2 channel hi-fi setup.  In the mean time I'll be rocking my integrated amp setup.  :D

I never heard of those models so I had to hit up google.  That amp has some beefy caps and transformer.

adcomn1-1.jpg

adcomn2.jpg

Have you had a chance to check out your new ADCOM amps?

I have a GFA-555 and I am very happy.

will get back to you...

i think the wharfedales might not be making me super happy. i know for 1200$ i wouldn't be impressed at all. i have a sub on the way. haha. chasing the dragon.

funny that if black friday deal on speakers hadn't come along, i was pretty stoked and happy w the sansui and my old jbls. haha.

w/ the sansui and the amps, the speakers still sound a bit 'harsh' to me. not a lot of warmth. clarity seems ok. they haven't burned in of course, so that could be part of it too. we will see.

i have a line on replacement remote for preamp. it seems i need to adjust volume more per each diff. record too now.

i suspect i'm picking up way more on quality of diff pressings too. better equipment, bigger microscope.