PO: Ani DiFranco - Dilate 2xLP

I dated a girl for about two years who was hardcore into Ani Difranco's music. For her birthday I got her a signed poster all framed and nice. This thread has prompted me to re-listen to her music and reminisce about simpler times. 

I went with a female friend to see her live on the tour for this record. It was a great show but MAN did I feel out of place.

She was (understandably) a pretty big deal around Rochester (Buffalo is about an hour away) long before she blew up nationally soon after this, but still on an intimate level, if that makes sense. The show I saw was a small theater show that we got tickets for the day of, and two years later she's selling out the arena in town. Mindblowing when things like that happen.

I dated a girl for about two years who was hardcore into Ani Difranco's music. For her birthday I got her a signed poster all framed and nice. This thread has prompted me to re-listen to her music and reminisce about simpler times. 

my wife turned me onto her, she was super obsessed with her stuff when she was a teenager.

she's still a really big fan. we've seen her live a few times. her guitar playing blows my mind.

hopefully RB will continue to press the big sellers in the future.

little plastic castles and up x 6 would be nice.

her catalog is so big that i don't see her getting ALL of her stuff out there any time soon.

hopefully RB will continue to press the big sellers in the future.

little plastic castles and up x 6 would be nice.

I would love to see her self-titled debut and Living in Clip get pressed.

I would actually be surprised if her debut didn't get pressed fairly soon, I would think next to Dilate it would likely have the biggest demand.

aside from 'both hands' that album doesn't really live in her modern repertoire, honestly i don't think i'm familiar with anything else on it.

Admittedly I stopped keeping up with her after Revelling / Reckoning - not from any quality concerns, just kind of lost touch with what she was doing. There are so many good songs on that first album, 'both hands' definitely being one of them, but also 'talk to me now', 'fire door, and 'out of habit'.

EDIT: And, I'm certainly referencing a flawed and limited sample here, i.e.: the people I know who like Ani, who are mostly people I still talk to from college in 2000, most of which are like me and still listen to her old stuff but have failed to keep up with her modern output.  So it wouldn't terribly surprise me if her first album has fallen out of vogue.  Unfortunate though, as I feel it's aged well.  Oh well, I'll likely pick up anything that get's pressed up to and including Revelling..., hopefully the first makes the cut at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

this came in today. the discs are a lot thinner than her last 3 albums were.

guessing they used a new plant for this one.

sticker on the cellophane said it's from 'furnace record pressing'.

also the jacket seems more flimsy than the other stuff RBR has pressed up.

DA026E11-984D-4896-AF61-9F6CD81AF08E-146

973D6971-9F54-4D28-87ED-8C3610B6AC59-146

the dark circle in the middle of the label 'dilates' more on each side, until it fills the whole label of the 4th side.

i thought that was cool.

also the lyrics poster is nice.

i'd say the sound quality is equal to the cd, maybe a little better.

feels like the bass and drums stand out more.

i should pop in the old cd later to compare.