Limit new user capabilities?

Poll: Limit new user capabilities?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think would have the most positive impact on this community?

• Restricting new users to join by "invite only"
    • Restricting new users' ability to start threads with a waiting period
    • Keep on keepin' on
    • Let's all just have a gentlemen's agreement to cut it out

i didn't look through this whole board, and i figure i can give some ideas.

- have a whole forum for new members. this can be where they ask stupid questions to their hearts delight and older members can post and what not and help them out a bit. it limits the copious amounts of silly threads that have already been asked 1000 times to one are. and older members can at least be polite since it's a newbie thread rather than be disgruntled old men. like me. :)

- new members can't start new threads anywhere but the new member thread until a certain post count has been reached (maybe 50 or something low). this gives them enough time to acclimate to everything. they can post in other threads. just can't make them. 

- no sales by new members until they've been verified by a mod and have hit a certain post count. they do this in the ecf forum and it works well. less thieves too. you literally have to verify yourself (ebay (dependent on feedback)/paypal(must be verified)/etc etc). it just gives people more hoops to go through in order to actually sell. 

this is just off the top of my head with very little sleep. so i may be talking out of my ass.

Ah, good point. Yeah, so far that's the only limitation I can get behind. Having to make it so someone has to get integrated a bit into the community in order sell here isn't such a bad idea.

Ah, good point. Yeah, so far that's the only limitation I can get behind. Having to make it so someone has to get integrated a bit into the community in order sell here isn't such a bad idea.

Either that or take a verified photo with your records and your user name.  PayPal is mostly safe nowadays. 

Either that or take a verified photo with your records and your user name.  PayPal is mostly safe nowadays. 

this doesnt always work. some scammers (jennymiller in particular) sent out photos, and actually did own the record, but just never sent it, or printed off a label so that it "ships" but just stays at "electronic info received" and it never really starts moving.

the thing about scammers is they learn from their mistakes and are always trying to take it to the next level. shit, jenny even DID sent out like two records to reputable people here which made her get more sales because they backed her (him).

but it could be a good step to make selling harder, for sure. just cant be the only step. 

this doesnt always work. some scammers (jennymiller in particular) sent out photos, and actually did own the record, but just never sent it, or printed off a label so that it "ships" but just stays at "electronic info received" and it never really starts moving.

the thing about scammers is they learn from their mistakes and are always trying to take it to the next level. shit, jenny even DID sent out like two records to reputable people here which made her get more sales because they backed her (him).

but it could be a good step to make selling harder, for sure. just cant be the only step. 

don't forget the musicinveins guy. who when he did actually pay for shit he filed a chargeback with his bank. don't remember if he cancelled e-checks or not but that is also a route scammers take once records are sent out to them. hell, recordhound even made a new account here and flew under the radar for a bit before he admitted it was him.

verifying new people before they sell will be difficult as there are ways around nearly every way people can prove themselves. and a lot of work on the mods' part too. the photo/vid route has already been shot through. going the ebay account route people can just give a random username that has a ton of positive feedback. mods would then have to check the ebay account and send messages to the person making sure it's legit. even then, there is nothing stopping someone from giving a friend's ebay account for verification pruposes here, and just have their friend respond to inquries to make everything seem legit.

it might not seem like a lot of work for the mods, but after a while the list of new people to verify will grow longer and longer and longer. making this place safer to buy, sell and trade is a great idea and should definitely be considered, but there is no way to make it 100% safe. unfortunately there will always be scammers on the prowl. people still have to use common sense and apply the if it's too good to be true rule.

i'll be the first person to say that any discussion is pointless. the fact that admin didn't even show their face in here to address any of the legitimate points made is pathetic... but it's not like we expected otherwise.

i'll be the first person to say that any discussion is pointless. the fact that admin didn't even show their face in here to address any of the legitimate points made is pathetic... but it's not like we expected otherwise.

so fucking pathetically true that it bums me out. 

You making sense. It's rare nowadays. 

you can fuck right off. did you read this thread? and all the parts where i put this whole thing into motion, and worked with every single person's input to compromise towards the best possible solutions?

smitesmitesmite