RIP The Mars Volta

their first two albums are pretty hard to top. as far as post frances material, bedlam is still a great listen. i don't think a lot of people gave that one a chance.

In your last two posts you've said everything i wanted to say Sean, TMV is an insanely talented group of dudes who's musical and personal directions went in different directions in a flash. To me, it's bitter sweet but is best that it's over...

TMV is talented as fuck.

when you say "TMV is overated" all i hear is "i don't understand/appreciate complicated music. it just sounds like noise to me".

everyone in that band is amazing at what they do, and their albums are always interesting, at least from a musicians perspective.

i'm trying to not sound like a pretentious here, but i probably sound like one anyway.

I have tried to get into them. I feel like I should like them because they are somewhat down my ally but I can't get past Cedric's voice. I love his singing in ATDI but his singing in Mars Volta makes me cringe. Maybe it will click one day.

Just because a band is talented doesnt mean they are in any way good. Rush are all amazingly talented in their own right, when they make music together, it fucking blows. Dave Matthews Band, all talented as fuck, but again, when they write together I am bored to death by it. Yanni, again talented as fuck, his music bores me, but he is a sight to see live. Add Mars Volta to this list, Omar may be talented but everything he does is boring as hell. I always wondered why Cedric stuck around him for so long when he could be doing much better stuff.

Just because a band is talented doesnt mean they are in any way good. Rush are all amazingly talented in their own right, when they make music together, it fucking blows. Dave Matthews Band, all talented as fuck, but again, when they write together I am bored to death by it. Yanni, again talented as fuck, his music bores me, but he is a sight to see live. Add Mars Volta to this list, Omar may be talented but everything he does is boring as hell. I always wondered why Cedric stuck around him for so long when he could be doing much better stuff.

every sentence in that paragraph is an opinion.

talented musicians by default create 'good' music.

it's up to the listener weather or not they will enjoy it.

Well, there's alot of so wade through, but I'd check out omars bandcamp with these couple of releases:

Xenophanes- this is probably one of the best releases he has. Him and his girlfriend at the time (Ximena) sing together on this. It's all in Spanish but it's absolutely beautiful. Ojo al cristo de plata and Oremos Are both excellent tracks.

Cienca de los inutiles- probably the most stripped down record you'll ever hear from this man..Just him on guitar, an upright bass, and Ximena singing. Also in Spanish, it really shows how well he can arrange a "bare-bones" album.

And finally, the BEST for last. CRYPTOMNESIA- this shit right here nigga? The fucking bees knees for Volta fans. This record boasts an awesome line up of talent. He recruited Zach hill for drums and Cedric for vocals..it slays anything after Frances, I don't care how over the top Thomas pridgen can play. I like to think of it as the missing link between relationship of command and deloused. I love the whole album, but here are some good tracks anyway:

Half kleptos

Puny humans

Shake is for 8th graders

Elderly pair beaten with hammer

I'll shut up now.

Also, he may enjoy Se Dice Bisonte, No Búfalo

every sentence in that paragraph is an opinion.

talented musicians by default create 'good' music.

it's up to the listener weather or not they will enjoy it.

no talented musicians by default create "talented" music. Talent does not equal good. Good is always an opinion, while talent is not (though it can be argued).

I always wondered why Cedric stuck around him for so long when he could be doing much better stuff.

It's pretty evident. As much as a douche as Omar can be, there's no denying the talent he surrounded that group with. He even said he liked getting his ass kicked by Omar, otherwise he'd be "smoking pot and watching tv all day."

Which isn't a bad thing.