What's your latest purchase?

All of your posts seem to be strangely vague or open to interpretation.  They're all a quarter-thought away from making sense. 

I'm not sure whether you are a real person trying to convey an idea, or if you are some sort of bot stringing together associated words into sentence form.

That's a pretty high post count for a bot.

Yeah, that DAC was a major reason I leaned toward it. I'll be using it with my laptop, so the small size is great when moving around.

I grabbed some open ear pads for my Grado sr80's too, since my current ones are falling apart and will probably tear if I try to do the quarter mod. My next purchase will probably be new headphones, but I like these so far. I had to super glue them back into the headband at one point though, since they got twisted in my bag and somehow the metal part came out.

I grabbed some open ear pads for my Grado sr80's too, since my current ones are falling apart and will probably tear if I try to do the quarter mod. My next purchase will probably be new headphones, but I like these so far. I had to super glue them back into the headband at one point though, since they got twisted in my bag and somehow the metal part came out.

Oh I used to really want to try those. I won some iGrado once and did a bad job of the nickel mod but that was just cutting a hole in old style headphone pad and not the same thing. Made my ears hurt because the hole was too big and my ears would get rubbed. Hardly used those things but they sounded alright. Not real Grado drivers from what I've read.

I like them, just not have used them in a while since the headphone port on my pc is iify. It sometimes only plays one channel, or it sounds like it isolates vocals only. It is weird. It'll work if I hold the cable up, but that's annoying and probably not good for the headphone connector. Shitty acer and it's shitty parts.

Met frank from groovetracer and upgraded my rp6...

Sounds pristine!

Also....I use a REL sub since it connects directly to the tube amp I have...

Probably one of few.sub's setup this way and u can hear a difference once u turn it off! It adds to the music

You must have very small or bass limited speakers if you need to use a sub in a 2 channel system.

You must have very small or bass limited speakers if you need to use a sub in a 2 channel system.

I dont need to..I want to. Just went to demo new speakers and heard plenty of different speakers...all enhanced by the rel sub. Again its one of few sub's specifically designed for 2 channel setups

Oh and as of now I'm using Epos K2 speakers. Nothing to fancy but they fill a 1,200 sq ft room with sound! I suppose if my setup was in a smaller room the sub would be overkill but for where my rig is....it sounds great! What speakers do you suggest? I'm currently using a line magnetic 216a tube amp with an rp6 and ear834p with upgrade mods coming soon...

I dont need to..I want to. Just went to demo new speakers and heard plenty of different speakers...all enhanced by the rel sub. Again its one of few sub's specifically designed for 2 channel setups

Oh and as of now I'm using Epos K2 speakers. Nothing to fancy but they fill a 1,200 sq ft room with sound! I suppose if my setup was in a smaller room the sub would be overkill but for where my rig is....it sounds great! What speakers do you suggest? I'm currently using a line magnetic 216a tube amp with an rp6 and ear834p with upgrade mods coming soon...

The Epos K2 doesn't have dedicated bass drivers as it uses 2 combined mid/drivers which is by no means unusual and is possibly why you might feel the need to use a sub with them but it still seems like overkill to me.

In my experience adding a sub in any 2 channel system is covering up a problem, if it's to your listening taste then that's fine but I can't see the point.

It may be the room that's the issue and adding the sub overcomes deficiencies there or it could simply be speaker placement but either way you shouldn't need it.

Adding a sub to 2 channel is nothing new Rogers did it back in the 60's with the sub they made for the JR149's but this was because as small near field monitors they were bass limited and it was still a compromise.

With valve amps people think they will have trouble driving modern speakers with them but this just isn't true provided they are sensitive enough as speaker sensitivity is the most important thing, with any speaker that can move enough air bass shouldn't be a problem with an amp with 4 KT88's in the output. Your Epos speakers have a sensitivity of 89db which should be no problem at all so I expect the problem is fundamental be that as simple as your personal taste or room or placement or the lack of dedicated bass drivers in your speakers.

Do you use any other sources or is it just vinyl as it might be also the cart you are using that's a bit on the bright side or even something as simple as incorrect cartridge VTA can strangle the bass response or you might just need to try a speaker with a larger or more dedicated bass driver to get bass down low enough for you.

I use four single ended EL34 monoblocks to drive my speakers in an active configuration and have absolutely no need to run a sub in my system.

The Epos K2 doesn't have dedicated bass drivers as it uses 2 combined mid/drivers which is by no means unusual and is possibly why you might feel the need to use a sub with them but it still seems like overkill to me.

In my experience adding a sub in any 2 channel system is covering up a problem, if it's to your listening taste then that's fine but I can't see the point.

It may be the room that's the issue and adding the sub overcomes deficiencies there or it could simply be speaker placement but either way you shouldn't need it.

Adding a sub to 2 channel is nothing new Rogers did it back in the 60's with the sub they made for the JR149's but this was because as small near field monitors they were bass limited and it was still a compromise.

With valve amps people think they will have trouble driving modern speakers with them but this just isn't true provided they are sensitive enough as speaker sensitivity is the most important thing, with any speaker that can move enough air bass shouldn't be a problem with an amp with 4 KT88's in the output. Your Epos speakers have a sensitivity of 89db which should be no problem at all so I expect the problem is fundamental be that as simple as your personal taste or room or placement or the lack of dedicated bass drivers in your speakers.

Do you use any other sources or is it just vinyl as it might be also the cart you are using that's a bit on the bright side or even something as simple as incorrect cartridge VTA can strangle the bass response or you might just need to try a speaker with a larger or more dedicated bass driver to get bass down low enough for you.

I use four single ended EL34 monoblocks to drive my speakers in an active configuration and have absolutely no need to run a sub in my system.

No other sources and I am currently using an ortofon 2m black cart. We spent an hour or so getting speakers in the sweet spot so I tack it all up to personal taste. One day I'll upgrade the speakers but for now they are damn good. Thank you for all the advice and input though. I do appreciate it! Its nice when we can post constructive criticism on here. I just purchased this rig in the last 6 months so I'm going to stick with it for a while but I'm sure I will get the speaker upgrade bug in the next few years. Thanks again sir.

The upgrade bug never stops it just recedes a little every now and then.

I think I would focus on the cart first though you have an absolutely superb phono stage that can cope with much better in the cartridge department, also in a system like yours that can reveal a lot of information MM cartridges can be bright and a little harsh compared to MC's so maybe get a decent high output MC or better still a low output and some decent step up transformers.

And one more addition!

I've been taken in by the fluid dampening headshell outrigger mechanism with this table.  So have the Townshend Rock 7 incoming with a Helius Omega Silver Ruby tonearm.  Should probably have it in a month or so...

Some pics:

CT6A0881a.jpg

CT6A0889a.jpg

And one more addition!

I've been taken in by the fluid dampening headshell outrigger mechanism with this table.  So have the Townshend Rock 7 incoming with a Helius Omega Silver Ruby tonearm.  Should probably have it in a month or so...

Some pics:

Nice, great combination

I love Helius arms I've got 3 of them, they are a great company and very good to talk to, I know from experience that they will happily repair and service all their older products.

Nottingham Analogue are also another superb example of high end British hifi and neither company suffers from the hype and bullshit that can be indulged in by some of their peers

And one more addition!

I've been taken in by the fluid dampening headshell outrigger mechanism with this table. So have the Townshend Rock 7 incoming with a Helius Omega Silver Ruby tonearm. Should probably have it in a month or so...

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/06/09/newport-2012-marten-ear-and-townshend/

Some pics:

CT6A0881a.jpg

CT6A0889a.jpg

That is bad ass

Nice, great combination

I love Helius arms I've got 3 of them, they are a great company and very good to talk to, I know from experience that they will happily repair and service all their older products.

Nottingham Analogue are also another superb example of high end British hifi and neither company suffers from the hype and bullshit that can be indulged in by some of their peers

Hey there Allen.  There is solid engineering chops behind the Helius Silver Ruby.  Captured ruby bearings in a tetrahedral formation which is super smooth with no play at all.  It matches up particularly well with the Rock 7.  It's all a month out before I have delivery along with the EAR 912 preamp so will chill out till then :)