What's your latest purchase?

Well they’re no Wharfedale's finest products and also probably not their worst but they're down there somewhere and again for whatever portion of $19 stunning value.

I would look at them as a project because if the drivers are all good you could look at playing around with any wadding or dampening that's in there and upgrading the crossovers or even making some nice new heavy MDF cabinets for them. When they were made they didn't forget how to make speakers they just had to work to a very low price and things like cabinet materials and time consuming things like proper dampening went out of the window.

The problem with the name Wharfedale is it does very much depend on who owned the name at the time your speakers were made and sadly there have been more bad periods than good, luckily they are now making nice speakers again but over the years there has been some utter dross that don't even make for good firewood.

don't even make for good firewood.

Haha. I'll have to look into that. Sounds like a fun project, I've never experimented at all with hifi, I just recently got into it, so I'm a total noob, but intend to learn a lot. My budget isn't big at the moment though.

The amp has to inputs - CD and TV/AUX. Does a CD-player require extra amplification, or why aren't they just two AUX inputs?

Everything except for a turntable is at the same signal level so CD, DVD, Tuner, Tape, TV, AUX, Ipod etc etc. A turntable uses a different signal level so that's why it needs the extra amp stage but for everything else your input switch is just that a switch and they are labelled so that when you wire it all up you know what you are selecting, nothing more technical than that.

Buying cheap crap and playing around with it is a great way to learn, you will have some epic fails and some great wins but you will definitely learn from it, just remember there are voltages in this stuff that will kill you so be careful and don't work on stuff with power connected to it and if you make smoke that's very bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Changed my system recently as well...

Went from an NAD C316 BEE integrated to a Roksan Kandy MkIII integrated

Went from Celestion 3 speakers to AWS Genius 100 speakers

I also ordered a Denon DL-110 cartridge today for my Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 Genie

I am now done with purchases for a LONG while... no more $$$ :(

Congrats on the upgrades everyone.

A month ago I bought myself an Oppo 105 and some Morrow Cable MA-3 interconnects were purchased at the start of the recent sale. It's really great how versatile this is. Using the phone app means I don't even have to have video hooked up to play a DVD-A or BD audio. I probably would be just as happy with a 103, but, well, you know.

Congrats on the upgrades everyone.

A month ago I bought myself an Oppo 105 and some Morrow Cable MA-3 interconnects were purchased at the start of the recent sale. It's really great how versatile this is. Using the phone app means I don't even have to have video hooked up to play a DVD-A or BD audio. I probably would be just as happy with a 103, but, well, you know.

I've been looking for a deal on a 103.  Mostly because my PS3 is on its last legs.  As far as music is concerned, do you feel like the main difference between the 105/103 is the DAC?

There are 4 differences between the 103 and 105. The 105 has a headphones amp and the ability to use the device as a stand alone/outboard DAC. The third difference is the DAC. The DAC in the 103 is very good, but the specs on the Sabre 32bit are superior. The fourth is the seperate L R outs (incl balanced). The digital audio and video outs and processing are identical. Both have a great streaming capability and app.

There are 4 differences between the 103 and 105. The 105 has a headphones amp and the ability to use the device as a stand alone/outboard DAC. The third difference is the DAC. The DAC in the 103 is very good, but the specs on the Sabre 32bit are superior. The fourth is the seperate L R outs (incl balanced). The digital audio and video outs and processing are identical. Both have a great streaming capability and app.

I guess I could have just gone directly to OPPO.  They said basically the same thing.  It's nice to see a company straight-talk their product differences.

https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=37

"The OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 share the same primary components (including the mainboard, laser, and loader) for superb audio and video playback, and while the BDP-103 and BDP-105 are identical in performance when it comes to audio and video over HDMI, the BDP-105 offers a number of enhancements:

1. The BDP-105 features improved sound quality from its analog audio outputs with its implementation of dual 32-bit ESS Technology digital-to-analog converters, a toroidal power supply, and two sets of dedicated stereo analog outputs (balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA) for 2-channel enthusiasts. Customers who do a great deal of critical music listening using a very high end, analog connected system will benefit most from these additions.
  2. The BDP-105 features a headphone amplifier for use with high-quality headphones.
  3. The BDP-105 features three additional digital audio inputs: optical, coaxial, and a 2-channel asynchronous USB DAC input.

Furthermore, the BDP-105 is graced with additional aesthetic and ergonomic enhancements that include a larger 4.8 inch tall chassis, sculpted aluminum front panel, touch sensitive front-panel playback controls, availability of an optional rack mount kit, and availability in Black or Silver."

Bought my first system yesterday:

Project Debut Carbon

Marantz PM6005

Wharfedale Diamond 220

Atacama Moseco 6 Speaker Stands

QED Cabling

I made a bit of a mistake in not doing my research on the speaker/stand combo and have had to order a larger top plate for the stands so the speakers sit comfortably. Only bought some fairly basic cabling as well so will need to have a look into that at some point. As I purchased on Record Store Day I'm also able to claim a free Spin Clean Record Washer System.

Overall I'm fairly happy with my purchases and I'm glad I read the various threads on here instead of going out and buying a Crosley, so cheers for the advice people!

Just got new speakers today, I was strongly considering the Wharfdale Dentons but I was offered Rega RS1's for the same price and it just seemed like a better deal. Obviously they need some time to break in but my first impressions are very good, a definite improvement on the Bose 301's I had been running. My only concern is that they make me want to upgrade my amplification now. I'm running a Rotel RX-975 integrated receiver now, do you experts out there think I need to make a move or am I safe sticking?