PO: Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal

I'm in to this band, but c'mon.... "really great lyrics????" That's a stretch, to say the least. I'm surprised to hear this from a Circa fan especially.

Okay, I'm not claiming they're better lyrics than Circa or many other bands. He has a different writing style completely. I grew up with Underoath, Chasing Victory, Emery, etc, and when you look at songs like Suicide Season, It Was Written in Blood, and The Sadness Will Never End, the lyrics, in my opinion, and pretty damn good compared to the other shit that was coming out around that time. I' mean, that's my opinion. If you don't agree, cool. I mean lyrics like Football Season is Over are shitty, obviously. Its not really fair to compare them to bands completely outside of their realm.

I was surprised to see so many good comments about this band on here, gonna go check their new stuff out.

Edit: just got done listening to their new song. i really like that they added some clean vocals into it. i'm definitely going to be looking out for their album.

Yeah, that's my biggest thing about the new stuff. More singing.

Okay, I'm not claiming they're better lyrics than Circa or many other bands. He has a different writing style completely. I grew up with Underoath, Chasing Victory, Emery, etc, and when you look at songs like Suicide Season, It Was Written in Blood, and The Sadness Will Never End, the lyrics, in my opinion, and pretty damn good compared to the other shit that was coming out around that time. I' mean, that's my opinion. If you don't agree, cool. I mean lyrics like Football Season is Over are shitty, obviously. Its not really fair to compare them to bands completely outside of their realm.

I didn't imply that you said they were better than Circa... I said it was surprising to hear a Circa fanatic state that BMTH lyrics are "really" good. It still is surprising to me. I love this band, but the lyrics are nowhere near poetic, or "good" in the sense of artistic value. I think it's funny to hear him screaming about pissing on girls and how fucked up he is. It's party music for me. I really got a kick out of you referencing "It Was Written In Blood" as a shining example, because I honestly feel that those lyrics are laughibly bad. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love the song. When the bass line kicks in and drives those verses, my dick always gets hard.

But if you want me to compare them to "bands in the same realm," I will. Converge, Norma Jean, Botch... these bands all have superior lyrics to BMTH. Even Slipknot writes better lyrics.

I enjoy debating music, so don't take me too seriously. I'm sitting at work with nothing better to do.

I didn't imply that you said they were better than Circa... I said it was surprising to hear a Circa fanatic state that BMTH lyrics are "really" good. It still is surprising to me. I love this band, but the lyrics are nowhere near poetic, or "good" in the sense oof artistic value. I think it's funny to hear him screaming about pissing on girls and how fucked up he is. It's party music for me. I really got a kick out of you referencing "It Was Written In Blood" as a shining example, because I honestly feel that those lyrics are laughibly bad. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love the song. When the bass line kicks in and drives those verses, my dick always gets hard.

But if you want me to compare them to "bands in the same realm," I will. Converge, Norma Jean, Botch... these bands all have superior lyrics to BMTH. Even Slipknot writes better lyrics.

I enjoy debating music, so don't take me too seriously. I'm sitting at work with nothing better to do.

I dunno. I think you're wrong on the aspect of the lyrics being nowhere near poetic or artistic. I think a good bit of his lyrics actually are fairly artistic and thought out. He has his own writing style and it's art no matter how shitty lyrics are, but I don't see them as shitty. I see them as usually very dark and dramatic, but like some of my favorite poets. I personally think the lyrics to It Was Written in Blood are fairly good. I mean, it's just my opinion, so whatever, I'm not trying to say he's some godly lyricist or anything. But I think he deserves a lot more credit than many people give him.

I don't really consider Bring me the Horizon to be in the same category as any of those bands. I'm more talking about the generic metalcore/'scene bands that were getting popular around the time Suicide Season came out. And I personally hate all of those bands you listed except Norna Jean, and would prefer to listen to BMTH over them. Again, if you like them, cool. It's not my thing. I'm not a BMTH fanboy by any means. I just like them, and I always pay more attention to lyrics than anything else in music.

As far as 'pissing on girls' and all that stuff, he does that to make fun of all the people who actually believe it. I used to hate him. Like seriously, I refused to listen to this band. But I listened to an interview with him and also read a few things from people who didn't like him and from people who did, and I have a lot more respect for him.

I love debating music as well. I'm not trying to attack you or be unreasonable. I'm also a little surprised to see anything except 'fuck this band' on here. That's what happened last time I posted about them.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna listen to the new K Sera album.

I didn't imply that you said they were better than Circa... I said it was surprising to hear a Circa fanatic state that BMTH lyrics are "really" good. It still is surprising to me. I love this band, but the lyrics are nowhere near poetic, or "good" in the sense of artistic value. I think it's funny to hear him screaming about pissing on girls and how fucked up he is. It's party music for me. I really got a kick out of you referencing "It Was Written In Blood" as a shining example, because I honestly feel that those lyrics are laughibly bad. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love the song. When the bass line kicks in and drives those verses, my dick always gets hard.

Converge and Botch in the same realm as BMTH? Hell no.

I dunno. I think you're wrong on the aspect of the lyrics being nowhere near poetic or artistic. I think a good bit of his lyrics actually are fairly artistic and thought out. He has his own writing style and it's art no matter how shitty lyrics are, but I don't see them as shitty. I see them as usually very dark and dramatic, but like some of my favorite poets. I personally think the lyrics to It Was Written in Blood are fairly good. I mean, it's just my opinion, so whatever, I'm not trying to say he's some godly lyricist or anything. But I think he deserves a lot more credit than many people give him.

I don't really consider Bring me the Horizon to be in the same category as any of those bands. I'm more talking about the generic metalcore/'scene bands that were getting popular around the time Suicide Season came out. And I personally hate all of those bands you listed except Norna Jean, and would prefer to listen to BMTH over them. Again, if you like them, cool. It's not my thing. I'm not a BMTH fanboy by any means. I just like them, and I always pay more attention to lyrics than anything else in music.

As far as 'pissing on girls' and all that stuff, he does that to make fun of all the people who actually believe it. I used to hate him. Like seriously, I refused to listen to this band. But I listened to an interview with him and also read a few things from people who didn't like him and from people who did, and I have a lot more respect for him.

I love debating music as well. I'm not trying to attack you or be unreasonable. I'm also a little surprised to see anything except 'fuck this band' on here. That's what happened last time I posted about them.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna listen to the new K Sera album.

Well, we agree on the interviewing thing. He is the best frontman I've ever seen when it comes to interviews. I love the one where the chick asks "Why did you guys change your sound so much from the last album?" And he just says, "Because the last album was shit." Had me dying...

Well, we agree on the interviewing thing. He is the best frontman I've ever seen when it comes to interviews. I love the one where the chick asks "Why did you guys change your sound so much from the last album?" And he just says, "Because the last album was shit." Had me dying...

Hahaha. Which album was he talking about?

Except Botch and Converge are on the more hardcore and chaotic side of metalcore. And they cater to a completely different demographic.

very true... but we are both Converge and Botch fans... yet, we entered this topic... so maybe the demo isn't as different as you are suggesting.

I'm just talking very broad. only because Kevin said it was unfair for me to compare them to Circa since they aren't in the same realm.

but I get your point. I just cant think of any bands that are in the EXACT same realm that actually have good lyrics. asking Alexandria, architects, parkway drive... they all have shit lyrics.

when I listen to music though, I really only listen to guitars. probably why I love Bannon so much, he adds to the fury without distracting me from Kurt's shredding. :-)

very true... but we are both Converge and Botch fans... yet, we entered this topic... so maybe the demo isn't as different as you are suggesting.

I'm just talking very broad. only because Kevin said it was unfair for me to compare them to Circa since they aren't in the same realm.

but I get your point. I just cant think of any bands that are in the EXACT same realm that actually have good lyrics. asking Alexandria, architects, parkway drive... they all have shit lyrics.

when I listen to music though, I really only listen to guitars. probably why I love Bannon so much, he adds to the fury without distracting me from Kurt's shredding. :-)

I only entered this topic because I'm sick of hearing how "groundbreaking" this new album is. I got 5 songs in and was like, "really?"

Ya' know, with Asking Alexandria, it was the opposite as it was with BMTH for me. Their first album came out, and that was my shit. I still think it was a really good record. Then Danny completely flipped his views on everything and became less funny and more of an asshole and a drug addict. Then his writing was shit. Ben's still a cool dude though. Everything after their first album is awful. Was never into Parkway Drive or Architects, though.

Ya' know, with Asking Alexandria, it was the opposite as it was with BMTH for me. Their first album came out, and that was my shit. I still think it was a really good record. Then Danny completely flipped his views on everything and became less funny and more of an asshole and a drug addict. Then his writing was shit. Ben's still a cool dude though. Everything after their first album is awful. Was never into Parkway Drive or Architects, though.

Really? I thought their first album was the worst thing they've ever done. And you should really check out Architects, at least their first three albums. After that, it gets pretty crappy.

Really? I thought their first album was the worst thing they've ever done. And you should really check out Architects, at least their first three albums. After that, it gets pretty crappy.

Yeah. I dunno. Reckless & Relentless was utter shit in my opinion. NAND I've tried listening to them. Just couldn't really get into it.