Reel To Reel

So, Mellie's mom was doing some attic cleaning and found her dad's reel to reel deck and mailed it to us. It's beautiful and it looks like it's in top shelf condition. Problem is, while it looks good, and will make a great conversation point when people come over to hang out - I'd like to figure out how to use it. 

Anyone here know anything about these?

It's an Akai GX-747.

From what Mellie's mom was telling me, this thing doesn't need a tune up or anything as it had maintenance the last time it was used (early to mid 2000's). Looked online and maaaan, these things definitely aren't cheap, so if nothing else, it's rad that something like this just fell into our laps.

555450_489717821090344_1854347683_n.jpg

Dreamover, the door is always open!

Dave - I feel like our house is turning into some weird analog palace! :)

Bronchitis, what you have you been looking at? I'll be honest, this format is totally foreign to me - but when it was offered, I jumped on it.

Roman - I've been going through the manual off an on this afternoon, gonna try to thread it now. We'll see...

Based on what I found in pictures, shouldn't be anything too tough.  http://i.imgur.com/FI8fJso.jpg  (not embedding because it's a big picture)

These are the ones I have at work, so its kinda similar.

Otari_MX-5050_2.jpg

As long as the tape to be played on the left side is coming from the far left of the reel and being looped to the empty reel on the right, tape coming to the right of the spool you should be good.  I screwed it up my first few times learning it but you catch on fast.  Also make sure it doesn't get twisted when you put it on the new reel, 'cause that's a pain in the ass to fix once everything is on the other reel, haha.

I had one of these for a while, not sure How I got it, but it came with a recording of the very first radio broadcast of the news of JFK's assassination ......a friend of a family members friend offer me like $800 for the player and tape... so naturally I took it.

cool story, bro. 

i remember having to run the tape manually through the gear things on the the other spool. if that helps at all.

• 2 weeks later...