The 21 Age Limit

Well I know sometimes the bands actually pay the venues to make it all age, but I'm pretty sure that costs a good amount of money

Ah, gotcha. I have always been a bit confused about it.

Yeah. The last thing I want to happen is the club send me to the jail for a night.

Fakes will get pulled and then you will be denied access, that's about it. I love yanking fakes :D

Only time I've had to call the cops over an ID is when this dude came in with his buddies ID and then charged at us.

....he was detained within the first swing and then arrested lol

It should fall on the band to choose the age limit and if alcohol is served, but sadly that will never happen 

Why? The band will not be held accountable or have to pay higher premiums to insure the venue if alcohol is served and some 18 year old gets drunk and kills someone while DUI on the way home. The band has nothing to lose by saying don't serve alcohol and make the show all ages but the venue does. Bands have the option of booking at all ages venues and not playing age restricted shows if they care that much about it.

The only times I specifically remember being bummed about being under 21 and not being able to go to a 21+ show is when Head Automatica played some tiny club in Madison and when Do Make Say Think played a bar in Milwaukee. Both happened while I was still in high school. Nothing I could do about it though. Just the price to pay for being into music that is focused more towards 'adult' crowds.

size of the venue has A LOT to do with it. if you're under 21 you're technically not allowed to be within a certain radius of the bar (like you're not allowed in liquor stores). If the venue is tiny or has a bar that runs through it then chances are it's 21+ for that reason. They can ALWAYS do all-ages shows if they want to but they cannot serve alcohol if it's an actual bar. places like house of blues get away with it because the bars are far enough away and theres enough room for people under 21 to stay away from it etc. Most bars don't want to do all-ages or 18+ shows because they can't serve alcohol then and then they don't make any money because something tells me if the band is playing at a bar, the venue is probably losing money 

Most venues around me are usually all ages but sometimes it will be 21+ for specific artists. Maybe they have a say?

I think artists might, I remember being 17 and wanting to go see Bloc Party but it was an 18+ show and I called the venue and asked them why and they we're like I dunno ask Bloc Party.. the chick was probably just being a bitch though

Why? The band will not be held accountable or have to pay higher premiums to insure the venue if alcohol is served and some 18 year old gets drunk and kills someone while DUI on the way home. The band has nothing to lose by saying don't serve alcohol and make the show all ages but the venue does. Bands have the option of booking at all ages venues and not playing age restricted shows if they care that much about it.

exactly my thoughts.