Sun damage on records. concern? how to fix?

I just moved.

The place where the records are going gets some intense sun on it in the day.

Here's a diagram:

gdQRjMs.jpg?1

Should I be worried? Cause I am.

Anyone have any fixes for this? 

1 - I am probably not going to be moving it. So that's not really a good answer.

2 - Curtains may or may not be happening in the near future. Can't count on it.

My solution is to make some little cloth pieces out of a black sheet for each 4x4 shelf. Make it a look mysterious, yet classy.

Any other solutions or have you dealt with this before?

I have this same issue. I have curtains up, but my wife didn't want them closed all the time. I have large windows on two different walls, so that's understandable.

I cut out squares of heavy posterboard (the good kind that they sell at Dick Blick or Hobby Lobby, not the flimsy variety). They sell a bunch of different colors. I went with a few variations of warm dark gray, as that fit my room decor, but you can find any combination you like.

I made them just 1/8" smaller than the inside of the cubes so there's only a 1/16" gap around the edges. In order to keep them from falling out the front of the cubes, I used self-adhesive rubber pads like these:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3674937

These are mounted under the top edge of each cube, one each, in the center. You just need to make sure to get ones that are thick enough to go past the height of the card square. To remove the card square, you press on the top side of the square and the bottom will pop out for removal. To re-insert, you slide it in from below, so the top edge goes behind the rubber pad. Then push the bottom of the card square into the cube so it's vertical.

This keeps the sun off my expedit, and also keeps my 2 year old from bothering them. 

I also looked into UV window film, which has to be professionally installed. It would be better than nothing, but to get a high rating of protection it needs to be somewhat dark. The clear films help, but long term I would still worry about fading.

I have this same issue. I have curtains up, but my wife didn't want them closed all the time. I have large windows on two different walls, so that's understandable.

I cut out squares of heavy posterboard (the good kind that they sell at Dick Blick or Hobby Lobby, not the flimsy variety). They sell a bunch of different colors. I went with a few variations of warm dark gray, as that fit my room decor, but you can find any combination you like.

I made them just 1/8" smaller than the inside of the cubes so there's only a 1/16" gap around the edges. In order to keep them from falling out the front of the cubes, I used self-adhesive rubber pads like these:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3674937

These are mounted under the top edge of each cube, one each, in the center. You just need to make sure to get ones that are thick enough to go past the height of the card square. To remove the card square, you press on the top side of the square and the bottom will pop out for removal. To re-insert, you slide it in from below, so the top edge goes behind the rubber pad. Then push the bottom of the card square into the cube so it's vertical.

This keeps the sun off my expedit, and also keeps my 2 year old from bothering them. 

I also looked into UV window film, which has to be professionally installed. It would be better than nothing, but to get a high rating of protection it needs to be somewhat dark. The clear films help, but long term I would still worry about fading.

I like this idea. Thanks - might do it.

I like this idea. Thanks - might do it.

http://imgur.com/6VWQDDI

Above is a photo of what I did. I have heavy drapes up now, but didn't when I took the photo. They usually stay open, with just sheers over the windows. A little hard to see, but the photo shows the rubber feet in the top center of each cube.

I have 7"s and 10"s in the boxes along the bottom row. When I get some time I'm going to paint them to match the Expedit. I'm also going to install some 1x2s in the back of each cube to keep the LPs a uniform distance from the front. If the records end up getting pushed back too far, the card squares will tilt back and it doesn't look good.

Above is a photo of what I did. I have heavy drapes up now, but didn't when I took the photo. They usually stay open, with just sheers over the windows. A little hard to see, but the photo shows the rubber feet in the top center of each cube.

I have 7"s and 10"s in the boxes along the bottom row. When I get some time I'm going to paint them to match the Expedit. I'm also going to install some 1x2s in the back of each cube to keep the LPs a uniform distance from the front. If the records end up getting pushed back to far, the card squares will tilt back and it doesn't look good.

This looks like a million bucks.

I have 7"s and 10"s in the boxes along the bottom row. When I get some time I'm going to paint them to match the Expedit. I'm also going to install some 1x2s in the back of each cube to keep the LPs a uniform distance from the front. If the records end up getting pushed back too far, the card squares will tilt back and it doesn't look good.

This is awesome. I love it, absolutely. Wish I could cut a straight line.

This is awesome. I love it, absolutely. Wish I could cut a straight line.

You definitely have to not free-hand the cut. The method I used was a utility knife like this one ($3.14)

http://www.dickblick.com/products/excel-plastic-handle-utility-knife/?clickTracking=true&CAWELAID=520010530000041982

Then get a metal yard stick like this ($5.24)

http://www.dickblick.com/products/c-thru-aluminum-yardmeter-stick/?clickTracking=true&CAWELAID=520010530000059339

You need to have something underneath to keep from damaging your floor. I have one of those large self-healing cutting mats, but you could use a big flattened box if you are careful not to over cut. 

Measure out your cuts and trace them with a pencil using the yard stick. Then you use the metal yard stick as a cutting guide. Have someone help you to hold the yard stick in place, and gently drag the utility knife along the edge of the yard stick on top of your pencil line. You want to use moderate pressure, and make a number of cuts. Go slow so you don't waver off the edge of the yard stick, or slip and cut off your thumb (Seriously! Be careful and go slow. If you're klutzy, this could be dangerous). Keep doing these cuts until you get all the way through. Then go onto your next one. It takes a little while, but after you get the hang of it, it's not that time consuming.