SamSung Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5 (Verizon)

I have yet to really dig into Xposed. I do have gravitybox enabled, just don't use it much. I've heard it created problems with CM10.2. Speaking of problems, I get about 2-4 random reboots daily. I have no idea whats causing it and xda hasn't been much help surprisingly. It's starting to get on my nerves. 

Never heard of CleanROM. I've been on CM10.2 for a looong time, I got sick of switching ROM's all the time. It was fun at first, but I had too many problems with some. The random reboot sucks big time, fix it already. I did download a boot log app, so when it crashes it records a log, but I don't know how to read it. I was hoping it would show me what app was doing what before the crash, giving me the app that was causing the problem, but it's pretty much a foreign language. 

Essentially the OS just collapses on itself. As far as I can remember this has been an issue with CM since the CM7 days. Make a nandroid and try out CleanROM Core (almost all stock apps are gone except for the few 'necessary' ones). With Unicon you can remove the gross TW icon theme and make it look fairy close to vanilla Android, and it behaves really really well. I tend to favor modified stock ROMs given the base OS was developed by the manufactures for that specific device with money dropped into R&D/testing opposed to an OS made by some dude with SDK installed on his Windows XP PC haha.

any idea whats going to be new with kitkat for the s4?  

Honestly the only difference between .3 and .4 I've noticed on my Nexus 7 is the ability to set user profiles. I don't imagine anyone would need this feature for their phone though. It wasn't a very big or noticeable upgrade on Google's end, although that doesn't mean Samsung won't cook up their own unique apps that integrate things like always-on voice search or something (although I wouldn't count on it, they tend to ignore their devices once they're on the market and focus on the next year's follow up device).

Here's a list of what 4.4 brings, nothing really obviously useful, just some under-the-hood updates that don't do a whole lot outside of Chrome browsing:

http://www.slashgear.com/android-4-4-kitkat-guide-to-whats-new-slashgear-101-31303735/

• 7 months later...

I'll have to watch that once I get home.

Kitkat destroyed my S4. I'm so pissed about it. Ever since I did the upgrade my phone has been freezing, lagging, heating up, shutting down unexpectedly, the screen won't turn on when I press the wake button - it just stays black for minutes at a time, etc. It's really annoying and Idk what to do about it. =\

Kitkat destroyed my S4. I'm so pissed about it. Ever since I did the upgrade my phone has been freezing, lagging, heating up, shutting down unexpectedly, the screen won't turn on when I press the wake button - it just stays black for minutes at a time, etc. It's really annoying and Idk what to do about it. =\

Damn, have you considered rooting/ROMing your device? I'm sure your device is in better condition than my s3, the power button it broken so I have to use remapped keys and onscreen controls to wake/sleep the screen and can't enter recovery so I'm stuck on my current ROM. I'm really considering switching to Sprint since they offer $60/unlimited everything but I'll probably wait until the iPhone 6 is out so I can get that for my wife. Also, a Verizon rep told me I could sell my unlimited data plan(s) on eBay since it's possible for them to let someone else take over your plan. People sell 1 unlimited data line for $560, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that before I leave Verizon.

Damn, have you considered rooting/ROMing your device? I'm sure your device is in better condition than my s3, the power button it broken so I have to use remapped keys and onscreen controls to wake/sleep the screen and can't enter recovery so I'm stuck on my current ROM. I'm really considering switching to Sprint since they offer $60/unlimited everything but I'll probably wait until the iPhone 6 is out so I can get that for my wife. Also, a Verizon rep told me I could sell my unlimited data plan(s) on eBay since it's possible for them to let someone else take over your plan. People sell 1 unlimited data line for $560, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that before I leave Verizon.

I've looked into it, but I really don't have the knowledge to do it. I don't even know how it would fix my issues lol. The phone is under a year old, I got it at the end of last October. There's no reason why it should be acting this way. I guess I could wipe it and start over... Idk how to get back my themes and apps that I paid for though.

& That is WILD about those unlimited data plans. Holy shit! I have unlimited, but I'm on AT&T.

I know of a lot of S4's that did this. I text a lot and it made text app so frustrating I've almost thrown my phone several times. 

Have you figured out any way to resolve it? It really bums me out :/

You guys should try Chomp, it's the fastest sms app I've used https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.p1.chompsms&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dchomp+sms+playstore&pcampaignid=APPU_lxULVI6bE4LmoAS3yYII

So ive got a foreign exchange student here thru january and he wants to buy a smartphone unlocked that he can take with him back to Brazil. Thats possible, right? Can he get a phone here and not be tied to a contract?

The Nexus 5 is a global device and comes without a contract. It's basically the 'Google phone' and should get all the Android updates with no issues. It's not a bad price at all, if they were CDMA (Verizon) compatible I'd absolutely get one.

http://www.google.com/nexus/5/

so we could go to best buy and just buy the phone and take it to whatever cell provider for the phone plan? (we wont be going to verizon for his phone service, most likely we'll go with ATT because we have a microcell in our house)

I would call and make sure they charge as much as Google is for the device outright and don't try and knock up the price a bit (cause Best Buy), but yes, they should have the device off contract for the same price as Google, next he would simply need to take it to a carrier like AT&T and see what kind of prepaid plans they offer, they'll set him up with an off contract plan and give him a sim card.