SamSung Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5 (Verizon)

Rooting is very simple on Android actually, there is plenty of guides out there.

I love music more on my android. I use Poweramp, it's a $5 app but it's incredible for music. I believe there is a free trial.

Maybe its the default music app that is causing this, but the only thing I don't like about music on the Android is the way it cuts off at the end of the song instead of merging into the next one like iPods do.  I never used that fade in/out feature on my iPods/iPhone, but it never had an abrupt end to one song before starting the next.

+ as for rooting, maybe I'll try it one day when I've gotten a better handle of Android things lol.

Maybe its the default music app that is causing this, but the only thing I don't like about music on the Android is the way it cuts off at the end of the song instead of merging into the next one like iPods do. I never used that fade in/out feature on my iPods/iPhone, but it never had an abrupt end to one song before starting the next.

+ as for rooting, maybe I'll try it one day when I've gotten a better handle of Android things lol.

If it's not in the settings then it doesn't do it I suppose. I'm not familiar with what player you're using though.

I know mine does have those settings:fade cross fade, etc.

do any of you subscribe with google play?

All Access? Yes sir. There are also apps for the iPhone that work with it as well. My wife just logs in with my account and we both have unlimited music streaming.

We're on the same ROM. Hoping its just not me, but have you noticed that ring+vibrate is no longer an option. I can only choose between vibrate or sound. It's weird, I'm thinking it may be Themer, but I'm pretty sure I noticed this before I installed Themer.

never mind I noticed that "vibrate when ringing" was unchecked in the settings, duh.

Also, I will get a ROM update notification, but there will be no update. It's quite odd.

I get them for 10.2 but had too many qwirks with that build, 10.1.3 incorporates some of the 4.3 features into 4.2. (What 10.1/10.1.3 are based on). I have 4.3 on my Nexus 7 (2013) and love it there, hell I haven't even rooted it because it does everything I'd want it to do out of the box, but I will never use multiple profiles on my phone and don't play crazy games on it so OpenGL isn't something I need there.

I also agree with using PowerAmp, when I used to store my music locally that was my go-to music player. I love how it basically turns your device into a preamp.

Totally understandable. You can mess a lot of things up with root access if you aren't sure what you're doing. To prevent those issues always make backups of your device on a regular basis. On the other hand I've never been unable to unbrick an Android device but I'm kind of obsessive with the OS haha.

A lot of people these days sticking stock/rooted and simply flash custom kernels (essentially governs your CPU/optimization to get you the best performance/battery life possible) and alter their framework using Xposed:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-your-own-customized-version-of-android-wi-1440101209

I got the S4 yesterday and so far totally love it. Didn't get the Maxx because the Bionic left a bad taste in my mouth for Droids. I'm gonna try a few apps you all mention here, and eventually a 64 gig SD. Any beast cases to recommend?

I just use cheapies from eBay (I have an S3), they're fine. I do recommend getting some good screen protectors though. I love Phantom Skinz. They're "wet" screen protectors and can be a bit scary to put on the first time but they're amazing and last a really long time. I use them on all my devices. I suggest hitting retailmenot.com and looking for a coupon first, a lot of time you'll find "Get 80% off an order of 3 screen protector" coupons.

http://phantomskinz.com/samsunggalaxys4.aspx

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/phantomskinz.com

I've had an otter box on my S3 since day one, some time around August 2012 and it's awesome. Has survived some drops, and it's not too big. Screen protectors, I just used the dudes in the mall, can't remember the brand but I know it's pretty common. If you bring in the old one, they replace it for $6.

What do you think of the Nexus 5?

It sounds like a solid device. If I had AT&T I'd get one. Android Central's last two podcasts have been dedicated to it, really good info and worth the listen if you're interested:

androidcentral.com/podcast

I got my Nexus 5 in the mail yesterday.  Absolutely love it so far.  I've had every Nexus phone except the 4 (tried the SIII instead), and you really can't go wrong.  Top tier hardware and software, and it's not outrageously priced.  I think Verizon is the only service that it's unavailable for right now.

Personally I think the stock android experience is the way to go, no bloatware or anything.  I rooted it right away, but am running the stock rom still, no need to change to anything else.

If you are in the market for a new phone, the Nexus 5 is the best you can get for your money right now.  Also currently the only phone with Android 4.4.

Totally understandable. You can mess a lot of things up with root access if you aren't sure what you're doing. To prevent those issues always make backups of your device on a regular basis. On the other hand I've never been unable to unbrick an Android device but I'm kind of obsessive with the OS haha.

A lot of people these days sticking stock/rooted and simply flash custom kernels (essentially governs your CPU/optimization to get you the best performance/battery life possible) and alter their framework using Xposed:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-your-own-customized-version-of-android-wi-1440101209

I'm going to look into Xposed! I saw some people talking about it on different forums and articles, but I have no idea how to make it work.  I could always use better performance and battery life.  I'll check out that link - thanks!

I got the S4 yesterday and so far totally love it. Didn't get the Maxx because the Bionic left a bad taste in my mouth for Droids. I'm gonna try a few apps you all mention here, and eventually a 64 gig SD. Any beast cases to recommend?

Nice!  I got a 64GB SD when I bought my S4 specifically for my music.  I think it's awesome to be able to have external space.

As for a case, I just use a bumper that is made specifically for the S4 Active.  I have small hands and the phone is already pretty big for me, so I didn't want a case to make it even larger.  This thing is surprisingly protective, too.  Literally the second the guy at the AT&T put the bumper on my phone and handed it back to me, my boyfriend lifted his arm up and hit my hand and my phone went flying and hit the ground on the corner.  I was so mad but the phone survived it - those floors are concrete!

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking of this thread because I updated Themer yesterday and now it won't work anymore. :( It keeps crashing so I switched back to NovaLauncher until they figure their shit out.

same thing happened to me, i reported it. it crashed BIG TIME. there was a new update and the big crash was in the change log. try it again.

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I have a couple invites to the Aviate Launcher BETA if anyone is interested. I've been using it for the last 2 days and really like it. Shoot me your email in a PM, first come first serve/anyone I invite can invite others.

How is this launcher working out for you? ...whats that launcher called thats highly customizable...xplode, xploit? something with an x?

• 1 month later...

I switched over late last week from an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S4.

The phone is great, it's fast, it's light and the display is beautiful.

The only thing that isn't even close to comparable is the camera. Unless I am doing something wrong with this, the iPhone camera is 1,000x better.

Does anybody use Tasker? I finally got this yesterday, only have a few profiles and kind of drawing a blank on what else to add.

I do and love it. It doesn't have the most-user friendly interface but once you have it ready to go you don't even need to look at it, just let it do it's thing.

q44qh9dp.png

I keep mine on a timer, if I lived further from work and jumped on different cell towers I would rather use the location profiles. It works with NFC and Google Now if you're into that.

Back up Tasker's data with Titanium Backup so you don't lose you profiles! I've done that before and it sucks.