Introduction/question

Hey guys, I have been into vinyl for a while been collecting seriously around a year. Been reading the forum for a few weeks now and love it so far, just wanted to say Hello!

Serious question, I've been away from the game for a little bit and I'm using an older Gemini PT1000 and it has done right by me so far, and I see you all with the Pro Ject and Rega units which I definitely think are beautiful and simple. Question being, I've always heard direct drive is the way to go, belt drive is like Fisher Price. Are these just better quality than the older belt drive units?

Thanks for reading that run on mess

Cheers

With the table you own it's always good to start figuring out a new turntable setup. Unless you're using it for what these tables have been made for, in which case, why do you hate records? :)

Post a budget and the rest of your set up so that it's much easier to give proper advice.

Also, to get a basic idea of what you're getting into, check here: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-hi%E2%80%93fi/

Serious question, I've been away from the game for a little bit and I'm using an older Gemini PT1000 and it has done right by me so far, and I see you all with the Pro Ject and Rega units which I definitely think are beautiful and simple. Question being, I've always heard direct drive is the way to go, belt drive is like Fisher Price. Are these just better quality than the older belt drive units?

There are mainly two different trains of thought.  One says; a direct drive turntable will allow for a more accurate speed and pitch, therefore is preferable.  The other says; in the interest of fidelity, you're better off attempting to isolate the motor as much as you can from where "the magic happens" and suffer the consequences of increased inelasticity of the belt.  I'm of the latter camp.