Drive: Mondo or Invada?

He's under the impression master recording = vinyl mastering. Part of mastering for vinyl is cutting the lacquer which means if they have different tracks on different sides then they haven't both been mastered for vinyl the same way. Just reiterating what you said because yeah that can cause differences.

Length of music on a side of vinyl can also affect sound quality too. I guarantee its possible that you can take the same exact master recording, give it to 2 different vinyl mastering companies, and come out with 2 entirely different sounding releases. In fact it happens quite frequently and theres a ton of evidence around to prove this is true.

Stout actually released these Drive prints earlier this year in March, I believe. A Stout Drive cityscape will run you about $175 right now and I believe they originally cost $65. They were only sold at the Stout/Taylor show at Mondo's gallery in Austin. None were made available online except for a few artist's copies sold through Stout's online lottery, which is nearly impossible to win. I think Im like 0 for 10 on his lottos overall.

My mistake... The poster I was thinking of was actually Ken Taylor's work. Similar, but not exactly the same:

http://www.mondoarchive.com/poster/drive/

Not mistaken about the RIDICULOUS prices people are asking for it tho:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ken-Taylor-Drive-Artist-Proof-Mondo-Movie-Poster-Ryan-Gosling-print-art-ap-/251098385554?pt=Art_Posters&hash=item3a76a14c92

Exactly

Same mastering, same quality...they could print one song on each side of 5 or 6 discs and use the same master files to cut the vinyl.

The soundtrack is owned by one person. Why would they allow two master tracks to be released. That would be very unprofessional

You are completely off base here.

Splitting the tracks IS part of the mastering process. Recording the master tape in not mastering.

ALL picture discs sound inferior to standard vinyl pressings. It's not a matter of opinion, it's not a mater of taste, the physical limitations make it so. Whenever anyone chooses to make a picture disc pressing they intentionally sacrifice sound quality for the looks. Unless, well, no-one actually informs them on it, then it's unintentional.

He's under the impression master recording = vinyl mastering. Part of mastering for vinyl is cutting the lacquer which means if they have different tracks on different sides then they haven't both been mastered for vinyl the same way. Just reiterating what you said because yeah that can cause differences.

Length of music on a side of vinyl can also affect sound quality too. I guarantee its possible that you can take the same exact master recording, give it to 2 different vinyl mastering companies, and come out with 2 entirely different sounding releases. In fact it happens quite frequently and theres a ton of evidence around to prove this is true.

You are completely off base here.

Splitting the tracks IS part of the mastering process. Recording the master tape in not mastering.

ALL picture discs sound inferior to standard vinyl pressings. It's not a matter of opinion, it's not a mater of taste, the physical limitations make it so. Whenever anyone chooses to make a picture disc pressing they intentionally sacrifice sound quality for the looks. Unless, well, no-one actually informs them on it, then it's unintentional.

Thank you people for understanding the truth in how records are made.

I'm still curious in Jordan's set-up...to know whether it's his 'table or his brain that can't discern the difference between the pressings. :)

Thank you people for understanding the truth in how records are made.

I'm still curious in Jordan's set-up...to know whether it's his 'table or his brain that can't discern the difference between the pressings. :)

Like Slinch said, it's not a matter of opinion and it's not a matter of taste, in fact it's not even up for debate.  It's good though that the air gets cleared around here every so often so that people can learn and understand why this is the case.

Oh crap, I pissed him off. He's now PM'd me asking how I figure myself to be a record pressing genius. :o

It's not rocket science.  Just do some google searching, watch some youtube videos of picture discs being pressed, etc...  If you really need to know how/why picture discs are inferior sounding, there's a world wide web of knowledge just waiting to share itself with you.

Haha wow. It's not a big deal guy who's getting upset...

It's not a big deal.  It's fine to own a picture disc for a variety of reasons unless your reason is that you think it's the best sounding vinyl pressing of the album available.  As long as you're aware and understand that there is probably a better sounding pressing of the album available to you, it's really nobodies business but your own as to which copy you decide to purchase.

But there is no debate here and there should never be a debate on the subject of sound quality comparisons unless some new technology arrives that changes the game.

Personally I'd love to own the Drive picture disc. Along with a normal copy for play though.

I personally don't like to buy 2 albums of the same release (just too much music still left to be acquired) but if I did, that's absolutely what I would do as well.  You've got one for looks and you've got one for sound, best of both worlds.

Personally I'd love to own the Drive picture disc. Along with a normal copy for play though.

This is what I personally do. I wouldn't be suprised if Mondo released the picture disc with the assumption that most people were intending to frame/display it. Would make sense coming from a poster based company.

Luckily they also released it on traditional black so actual vinyl users could be satisfied.

So I'd rather post on here rather than the other post with 70+ pages....
FINALLY scored a copy of the RSD picture disc variant.

Decent news: Side 1 (with the "non score" tracks like "Real Hero") sounds pretty great, especially considering it's a pic disc.

Bad news: The inferior vinyl kicks in with the score tracks, simply because they're softer and more dynamic. Far noisier than the regular vinyl pressing would be. SO... Now I'm debating whether to hunt down another Mondo press come 5/28. I don't collect multiple variants, but this might be the obvious exception.

Great news: I'm willing to sacrifice some SQ when it's a package as gorgeous as this. Just from an aesthetic standpoint alone... WOW.

DRIVE.jpg

So I'd rather post on here rather than the other post with 70+ pages....

FINALLY scored a copy of the RSD picture disc variant.

Decent news: Side 1 (with the "non score" tracks like "Real Hero") sounds pretty great, especially considering it's a pic disc.

Bad news: The inferior vinyl kicks in with the score tracks, simply because they're softer and more dynamic. Far noisier than the regular vinyl pressing would be. SO... Now I'm debating whether to hunt down another Mondo press come 5/28. I don't collect multiple variants, but this might be the obvious exception.

Great news: I'm willing to sacrifice some SQ when it's a package as gorgeous as this. Just from an aesthetic standpoint alone... WOW.

DRIVE.jpg

Definitely frame-worthy. ;)