Help: sound Breakin up in left speaker

Really confused as to what's causing it unless the cart is bad which would confuse the shit outta me seeing as it's only a few months old. Just replaced the stylus because I thought maybe it had went bad and that was causing it. It wasn't. Anyhow here's the setup:

Sony receiver putting out to 2 polk monitor 70s RCA phono in from audio technica atlp120.

The receiver and speakers both check out...sooo..

Does your turntable have swappable cables? If so, check there first. Swap the left and right and see if the right now breaks up. Next, check to see if there is any issue with the head shell/cartridge cables. It is possible that stylus is dirty/out of alignment, but it all depends on the type of sound that's happening.

Anyway, awaiting anyone with anything constructive

I take offense to this.  I mean, have you ever tried breakin' up?  It's super hard to do.

But yes, what ajxd said.  If it's not a bad cartridge-headshell connection or the RCA cables, then maybe it's the phone stage?  Are you using the receiver's phono ... or does the ATLP120 have one built-in?  Either way, do you know anyone with a standalone phono stage / preamp?  If so, borrow it and run it through one of the receiver's line stages (aux).  Since your CD player is fine, we already know that the line stage on the receiver is okay.

I take offense to this. I mean, have you ever tried breakin' up? It's super hard to do.

But yes, what ajxd said. If it's not a bad cartridge-headshell connection or the RCA cables, then maybe it's the phone stage? Are you using the receiver's phono ... or does the ATLP120 have one built-in? Either way, do you know anyone with a standalone phono stage / preamp? If so, borrow it and run it through one of the receiver's line stages (aux). Since your CD player is fine, we already know that the line stage on the receiver is okay.

After swapping styluses, the second stylus breaks up a lot less than the first one so that tells me it has to be something with the cart :/

Gross...I guess ill just take it to my friend who is a pro at soldering, he works with the insides of guitars. Will update once I try to fix it. My only worry is that if I cut them and solder the new ones on and it's still messed up which means it's a problem with the connections on the inside of the TT which means ill need to take it somewhere to have it opened up and the connections resoldered

• 3 weeks later...