Modern integrated amps ...

As scintillating as the anti-static brush thread was, this sub-forum needs a change of pace ... and I've recently been considering a modern integrated amp.  I'm sure this topic will peter out after a few posts, but all you smart people out there, give me some suggestions.  Especially gear you've actually heard before.

Here are your guidelines ...

1. price range: $1500 - $2500

2. At least 100W RMS into 8 ohms.  With my current speakers (ADS L1290/II) the general consensus is that while fairly efficient, the more solid state power the better.  I would consider tubes but I don't think tubes are going to get the job done in the end.  There are some interesting hybrid designs out there though.

3. I have a soft spot for American-made gear, but I'm not opposed to stuff made in China either

4. Built-in phono stage is not necessary

5. Built-in headphone amp would be nice

I've started to do a little research and here are the ones that have caught my eye thus far.  Again, I'm moving away from the tube options, but I would demo some of these pieces if given the opportunity.

Vincent SV-236MK II
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum

Line Magnetic 216IA
Exposure 3010S2
PrimaLuna Dialogue Two
Rogue Audio Sphinx
Wyred 4 Sound STI-500
Plinus Audio 9100

My choice would be the Rogue Cronus Magnum.  The manual for your speakers claim them to be 90 dB, which is more than sensitive enough for use with a beast like the Cronus Magnum. 

My top choices right now are the Rogue Cronus Magnum and the Vincent.  Both seem to fit most of my criteria and they're very well reviewed.  Not only that, but it looks like I can demo both at local Charlotte audio dealers.

Right now the L1290's are being powered by a Luxman L-80V, conservatively rated at 50W RMS.  It's a great little integrated and it's holding its own with the ADS speakers.  Still, being familiar with several different models of ADS, I can just tell that they're itching for more juice.  Soundstage and imaging are suffering a bit and I know there's so much potential for them to really open up and bloom.  Plus, almost everything I've read from other L1290 owners indicates that the more power, the better.

I only have experience with the Vincent, Exposure and PrimaLuna from that list. From this lot, I'd probably just go for the Vincent without thinking twice, regardless of the speakers used with it. It's a beast, and it sounds beautiful. One of the best value-for-money integrateds I've heard, if not the best.

However, from what I've read about that Rogue Audio Cronus, it's definitely a very strong contestant. The W4S as well. So if it's at all possible, a demo of these three would be perfect.

Though, if it were me buying, for $2.5k I'd go for a used Accuphase E213 or a McIntosh MA6500 and never worry about amplification ever again.

If I had to make a split-second decision right now and choose one of these without hearing it, I'd probably go with the Vincent.  From all I've read, it sounds like a great value and exactly I'm looking for. I dig that it's SS power with a tube pre too.  Kind of the best of both worlds.  There's something really alluring about the Cronus Magnum though, and I definitely appreciate that it's an American company that (apparently) provides amazing customer service.

I don't have any firsthand experience with Accuphase, but I've always loved the look.  And I obviously have a bit of an affinity for Japanese amps.  Actually, if money was no object and I wasn't trying to find an amp to compliment the ADS speakers, this would be at the top of my list: http://www.toneimports.com/leben/lebencs600.html

Rogue Cronus Magnum. Also, I know someone in your city selling one ;)

Oh reeeeeally?  Do you know if it has the KT120 output tubes?

Actually, I haven't even begun to save up for this thing and it will probably be a while before I have the funds, but I'd still be interested in getting the details from this certain "someone."  Hell, maybe we could even audition it with the rest of my gear.

My top choices right now are the Rogue Cronus Magnum and the Vincent.  Both seem to fit most of my criteria and they're very well reviewed.  Not only that, but it looks like I can demo both at local Charlotte audio dealers.

Right now the L1290's are being powered by a Luxman L-80V, conservatively rated at 50W RMS.  It's a great little integrated and it's holding its own with the ADS speakers.  Still, being familiar with several different models of ADS, I can just tell that they're itching for more juice.  Soundstage and imaging are suffering a bit and I know there's so much potential for them to really open up and bloom.  Plus, almost everything I've read from other L1290 owners indicates that the more power, the better.

The Cronus is 100 watts per channel, so that's a bit more juice. 

You own it to yourself to audition them since you can.  I'd even schlep your speakers down to the shop and A/B them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.  For all three of you who find this topic interesting, I've got a couple of dark horse candidates entering the fray.

Audio by Van Alstine: http://www.avahifi.com/

Odyssey Audio: http://odysseyaudio.com/

Both are American companies that assemble their products in the good ol' U.S.A.  Both sell direct-to-consumer, offer ridiculously good warranties and upgrade programs, and more importantly, both are very well-regarded.  Van Alstine has a lot of fans, while Odyssey flies a little bit under the radar.

And of course, prices are very good.  So good that it has me considering separates (power amp / preamp).