Bad Religion Self-Titled Test Press

Interesting E-bay listing. Anyone seen one of these before?

Seems kind of odd that it claims to be the test press for the original pressing in 1981issue but it's a 12". This wasn't pressed as a 12" until later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bad-Religion-ST-TEST-PRESS-RARE-1981-BREP1-rancid-nofx-green-day-minor-threat-/300931792283

Seems kind of odd that it claims to be the test press for the original pressing in 1981issue but it's a 12". This wasn't pressed as a 12" until later.

This seems like the biggest red flag ever to me. It may even BE an actual test (of the 12"), but this guy's info seems to be way out of whack.

The guy is selling a "RARE RARE RARE, HOLY GRAIL OF RECORDS" and doesn't have a turntable to test it on? ...but he remembers everything sounding fine.... It might be legit but that's some sketchy sheeeit.

I ebay guitar stuff and this reminds me of when ppl sell thousands of dollars in studio equipment and have a description for an effects pedal that says "...everything looks great but I don't have an amp to test this out."

Didn't know there was a 12" version. They could have pressed the test first and decided to release a 7" and use the stampers later.

The vinyl looks new. The inner sleeve looks 30 years old. But there's no way to verify that they were ever a set.

Best bet would be to contact Mr. Bret. Anything else is conjecture. 

I have always wondered this, but is there any way to get Tests out of the Epitaph label? Or do they only sell them on special occasions. I left a message with a specific guy I was told to ask and he never got back to me. 

I have a few Rancid test pressings. One dude sold a bunch of Epitpah releases like 4-5 years ago. He used to work at Rainbo and had a ton of tests. Probably where Matt below got his. I know that Kings Road Merch doesn't have any access to them because I've asked them before. My guess is they go straight to Brett, whoever tests them, and the band.

I have the Straight Faced - Conditioned LP test press but got it off ebay.

Didn't you buy the Punk-O-Rama 1 test?

I remember seeing one go for $20 and pissed I didn't get it, then a year later one pops up and goes $100.