Dallas area record stores

Dude, there are a few you should check out.  Good Records has a vast majority of new records and their used vinyl is just overpriced...

What sounds like right up your alley though is Dead Wax Records in Carrollton.  They don't have a website but you can find them on facebook.  I love going in there.  It's a small hole-in-the-wall, but their used selection is great for the size.  They have fairly limited hours so be sure to check on that.

I just found out about ZT Records in Frisco, but haven't been.  They can also be found on facebook.  Seem like they have a pretty good selection from what I saw on their page.

Doc's in FW has a huge selection of used records... check it out if you can make it that far west.

Another one with a giant selection is Forever Young in Grand Prairie.  Huge.

Lastly, Bill's Records.  People either love it or hate it, but it's worth checking out and making your own decision.  It reminds me of the old, smokey record stores from days past and the movies.  Bill is pretty damn knowledgeable, too.  And it's right in the heart of the downtown area.

The above stores are pretty spread out geographically, so hopefully you can find one (or more!) close to where you end up in DFW.  I hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions about any of the stores.

Got to hit up a meeting this week

Anything worth hitting up.

Mostly 80/90s punk and alternative. Looking for more of a used/good find/didnt walk into the store wanting but walked out with type place

Not buying new as I have enough stores here that I can get any stuff that is new through

Try Mad World Records and Recycled Books in Denton TX, it's a little bit of a drive from Dallas but well worth it. Any Half Price Books location is worth the visit too. There are quite a few in the DFW area.

bills records...was overwhelming. this place is huge. i know he just moved or whatever, but hasnt had the time to re-organize. and yes he smokes in there, and it was almost suffocating when i went. he also has like old movie, music and random posters, old patches and pins and some other odds and ends. there's no prices on anything, he calculates or throws out a number when youre ready to check out. i had to put some records back, he's kinda pricey. and he'll talk your ear off. definitely worth a stop sometime, not a priority. he has an ebay store, where he said he a lot of his focus is 

http://stores.ebay.com/Bills-Records

mad world though, cool...make sure to check out the little section of shirts in the back!

Yeah, I forgot Fry's has an OK new vinyl section.  No used vinyl that I've seen, but good prices on the new stuff.  I picked up Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E (RSD numbered copy) for like $17 and they had Modest Mouse - GNFPWLBD for $12. Half Priced Books is hit or miss... you really can find some gems, but you'll have to dig through tons of Barbara Streisand and America records to find them.

All great stores. Mad World Records is the best record store in the history of ever.

I suggest if you are in Dallas to go to the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway and dig through the dollar bin. If you are looking to take $20 or $30 bucks and walk out with 5-15 records that's your best bet. You have to dig through a lot of Barry Manilow, but sometimes you find a gem.

5803 E Northwest Hwy
Dallas
(214) 379-8000

Here's what I would do, Original Poster:

Hit the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway and 75. Then go up 75 and take Spring Valley over to Preston
(don't get on 635 te construction has it backed up for an hour at least) and hit the Half Price Book on Preston and then hit the Entertainmart across the street. Entertainmart is hit or miss, but they get in large collections and they have sales to blow it all out every few months so you can score something there, the only catch is they aren't good at filtering the condition of what they take in so check everything closely.

Those are 3 great mostly used stores you can hit all within a pretty close range of each other. If you go to those 3 places and find nothing I would be shocked.

Places like Good Records carry almost all new stuff and Good Records is all indie. Their used records are goodwill selection with high prices. Not worth your time. Bill's has a ton of great stuff, but Bill is proud of his stuff. You know why he has an original lpressing of some record from the 80's? because it's been overpriced since the 80's and nobody will buy it. Also at Bill's nothing is priced so it's not a fun way to shop. (unless this has changed, haven't been in a few years)

Mad World is great. He puts stuff on the shelf priced well below what it's worth. He's a firm believer in records should stay cheap. But Denton is a bit of a hike north if you are in Dallas proper.

Rock!

All great stores. Mad World Records is the best record store in the history of ever.

I suggest if you are in Dallas to go to the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway and dig through the dollar bin. If you are looking to take $20 or $30 bucks and walk out with 5-15 records that's your best bet. You have to dig through a lot of Barry Manilow, but sometimes you find a gem.

5803 E Northwest Hwy

Dallas

(214) 379-8000

Here's what I would do, Original Poster:

Hit the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway and 75. Then go up 75 and take Spring Valley over to Preston

(don't get on 635 te construction has it backed up for an hour at least) and hit the Half Price Book on Preston and then hit the Entertainmart across the street. Entertainmart is hit or miss, but they get in large collections and they have sales to blow it all out every few months so you can score something there, the only catch is they aren't good at filtering the condition of what they take in so check everything closely.

Those are 3 great mostly used stores you can hit all within a pretty close range of each other. If you go to those 3 places and find nothing I would be shocked.

Places like Good Records carry almost all new stuff and Good Records is all indie. Their used records are goodwill selection with high prices. Not worth your time. Bill's has a ton of great stuff, but Bill is proud of his stuff. You know why he has an original lpressing of some record from the 80's? because it's been overpriced since the 80's and nobody will buy it. Also at Bill's nothing is priced so it's not a fun way to shop. (unless this has changed, haven't been in a few years)

Mad World is great. He puts stuff on the shelf priced well below what it's worth. He's a firm believer in records should stay cheap. But Denton is a bit of a hike north if you are in Dallas proper.

Rock!

/\ This dude knows what he is talking about.  Excellent suggestions.