Madison, WI

By this time of year, my girlfriend and I have usually done 2 or 3 road trips, but this year has been exceptionally busy. Next Sunday-Tuesday we are driving up to Madison, Wi. i haven't been through in nearly a decade and I was 16 back then. I know about Strictly Discs and MadCity and I've heard good things about The Green Owl (vegan). I always prefer to hear something from locals though.

We will be at the Majestic on monday night for Bat For Lashes and staying near there. I'd love some record store and indie-shopping type suggestions as well as places to eat vegan and places to get good microbrews.

Not sure how many Madison-ites are on this board, but any suggestion will help.

Might check out the zoo too.

too bad you won't be in town for the Dwarves/Queers/Masked Intruder show on Thursday.

venues-I'm not a huge fan of the Majestic.  They get decent shows but the layout sort of blows and it's too expensive to drink there.  If you have an evening available, you should check out whatever is happening at the Frequency or the High Noon Saloon.

records - There's B side records on State street.

beers - Capital Amber,  Ale Asylum Hoppalicious, and New Glarus Spotted cow are all popular and on tap at most bars.

vegetables - those green things?  try Himal Chuli on State Street or take a hike down to Lao Laan-Xang, the Weary Traveler on Willie street.

http://www.theoldfashioned.com/

Go to The Old Fashioned on the Capitol Square for microbrews. They have like 50 on tap, and 150 bottled beers that are all native to WI. I can't comment on what they have for vegan-friendly foods, but I love that place.

If you have time, do a brewery tour. There's Capital Brewery and Ale Asylum, and maybe Sprecher's as well but I'm not sure. I know Sprecher's has a restaurant that I've heard is cool from friends but I have yet to go there.

Basically all the record stores I go to have been mentioned already.

Indie-type shopping, I have no idea haha

You can go to either of the terraces, uw union or monona, both are very pretty at sunset.

My record store order would be

Best strictly disc

Earwax

Mad city

B side

There are some boutiques and book stores that you might be interested in.

I have only been to the majestic and I wasn't a huge fan, but they get good shows and it is a good location for me. High noon is one I have heard of but won't be going there until chuck ragan.

School starts right after Labor Day so you will avoid most of that non-sense.

Ian's pizza is a favorite but don't know if there is a vegan option.

• 2 months later...

http://www.theoldfashioned.com/

Go to The Old Fashioned on the Capitol Square for microbrews. They have like 50 on tap, and 150 bottled beers that are all native to WI. I can't comment on what they have for vegan-friendly foods, but I love that place.

If you have time, do a brewery tour. There's Capital Brewery and Ale Asylum, and maybe Sprecher's as well but I'm not sure. I know Sprecher's has a restaurant that I've heard is cool from friends but I have yet to go there.

Basically all the record stores I go to have been mentioned already.

Indie-type shopping, I have no idea haha

I've only been to Madison 2 other times before tonight to go to shows at the Majestic however this time we left super early so we could make a stop somewhere fun. So we took your suggestion and stopped at The Old Fashioned and we absolutely loved it. Tried some great beers and had delicious burgers before our show tonight. I just really wanted to say thanks for the suggestion and I think I really like Madison.

• 5 months later...

I don't think that real people buy things from any of the shops around the cap square or State street.  

However, if you did not on your previous trip, it might be worth taking a walk down State.  If you are feeling adventurous, you can head down Willy st (Williamson).  There are a lot of mom and pop type stores on Willy st--primarily restaurants and worthless hippy junk.