Need some reggae music.

You should stay away from this stuff---definitely not what you're looking for.

I wouldn't say that. While none of them can compete with the list you provided (which included many essentials), I wouldn't deter anyone from checking out any of them - especially Hepcat. 

I'm on a Carlton & His Shoes and The Abyssinians kick right now. Check those out if you're into rocksteady focusing on vocal harmonies. 

Let me preface this by saying I really don't like reggae. Just not my cup of tea. Here are two suggestions.

Someone said The Congos and their debut "Heart of the Congos" is a fantastic record. They were sort of atypical. Lots of vocals. LoFi in places. Different rhythms. Read about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_the_Congos

The Wailing Souls. They're a vocal group. Very tight harmonies. Good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrEugiDFXKA

I wouldn't say that. While none of them can compete with the list you provided (which included many essentials), I wouldn't deter anyone from checking out any of them - especially Hepcat. 

I'm on a Carlton & His Shoes and The Abyssinians kick right now. Check those out if you're into rocksteady focusing on vocal harmonies. 

It's not what the person was asking for in terms of 70s and 80s reggae recommendations. 

It's not what the person was asking for in terms of 70s and 80s reggae recommendations. 

70s and 80s were just suggested. Ultimately he was just asking for some good reggae music which can be open ended. It is nice to suggest some essentials. Some of them you can actually still go out and see like Barrington Levy and Toots & The Maytals. There is even the only surviving Skatalite still touring. It doesn't hurt to suggest some modern acts that you can still go out and support and help keep a dying genre alive so later generations can enjoy it. It certainly is not fair to just dismiss them especially when a 20 something year old that only really knows of Bob Marley probably won't be able to tell the difference between some modern groups compared to the ones from the 60s-80s.

70s and 80s were just suggested. Ultimately he was just asking for some good reggae music which can be open ended. It is nice to suggest some essentials. Some of them you can actually still go out and see like Barrington Levy and Toots & The Maytals. There is even the only surviving Wailer still touring. It doesn't hurt to suggest some modern acts that you can still go out and support and help keep a dying genre alive so later generations can enjoy it. It certainly is not fair to just dismiss them especially when a 20 something year old that only really knows of Bob Marley probably won't be able to tell the difference between some modern groups compared to the ones from the 60s-80s.

The request seemed cut and dry rather than open ended---very specific, in fact.

It matters when the recommendation is lousy---the kid was asking for authentic reggae recommendations---not some stateside, white boy watered down bullshit aping a culture they know little about. Don't be daft---you know what's what.