PO: Opeth- Ghost Reveries (RE)

• 1 month later...

So I just received an private e-mail from omerch/bandstores that supposedly there is something wrong with some of the copies. Anyone know what exactly they are talking about?

Hi there,

This is just a follow up email to the recent Opeth (Ghost Reveries) Vinyl you purchased from us.

Unfortunately it has been brought to our attention that a very small number of the vinyl that were sent out are sadly slightly defective. This is noticeable upon playback of the vinyl and we really apologise for this occurring.

We're currently investigating into this and would like to know if you have experienced any issues when playing the vinyl?

If you have, please respond to this email by giving us further details on the problem as it'll really help with our investigation to prevent this from happening again in future.

Kind Regards,
Customer Services

Actually, according to dynamic range database, the dynamic range should be a lot better than the CD counterpart (meaning: different mastering): http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=&search_album=ghost+reveries 

edit: link wont work, just search for "Opeth" or "Ghost Reveries" there.

The DR database isn't really accurate for vinyl. There is a huge technical discussion about it on another forum

The mastering engineer that worked on Random Access Memories said the vinyl was mastered from the high res files, but if you look at the DR scores the vinyl numbers say it is more dynamic.

Actually, according to dynamic range database, the dynamic range should be a lot better than the CD counterpart (meaning: different mastering): http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=&search_album=ghost+reveries 

edit: link wont work, just search for "Opeth" or "Ghost Reveries" there.

Yes, I have seen that video and Im aware of that thread at Steve Hoffman (though I havent read it all). I have actually said in this very thread before that the CD and vinyl of Ghost Reveries sound very alike :))) Though some of the numbers at DR database seem to be a bit too much: DR7 vs DR12.

edit: I just listened to the CD and vinyl again. The CD has better stereo separation and the vinyl is definitely more in the mono range, the hi hats sound very different on both formats (but this might just be my worn stylus). I listened to the original first press CD and the 2013 vinyl reissue.

But yeah, this album sounds amazing on both formats anyway, so who cares :)

Yes, I have seen that video and Im aware of that thread at Steve Hoffman (though I havent read it all). I have actually said in this very thread before that the CD and vinyl of Ghost Reveries sound very alike :))) Though some of the numbers at DR database seem to be a bit too much: DR7 vs DR12.

edit: I just listened to the CD and vinyl again. The CD has better stereo separation and the vinyl is definitely more in the mono range, the hi hats sound very different on both formats (but this might just be my worn stylus). I listened to the original first press CD and the 2013 vinyl reissue.

But yeah, this album sounds amazing on both formats anyway, so who cares :)

Agreed they are both great. As for the hi-hats sounding brighter, that's the way it is on the Koch reissues of their middle albums as well. Those albums do sound much better than the CDs to me.

I think I will spin my first pressing Displeased records for their first two albums, it has been a while :lol:

Watershed sounds the most different to me between vinyl and CD with the former almost sounding like it was a different mix. Too bad I don't like that album :(

I've had 2 copies of the Gold which have really severe scuff marks across the title track on Side A. How my stylus can track it with no skipping, I just don't know. It's annoying because there is audible noise/pops.

mine too, no skipping just loud pops. i have them on both sides od LP1 and some small on LP2

I had a customer return 2 copies of this due to skipping issues.

I've definitely had some skipping, too.  I haven't looked too closely at the visual aspect of it, but the sound issues are fairly obvious.

That being said, I didn't return it because it is in my top 10 albums of all time and I can't bear the thought of not having it on vinyl...

Agreed they are both great. As for the hi-hats sounding brighter, that's the way it is on the Koch reissues of their middle albums as well. Those albums do sound much better than the CDs to me.

I think I will spin my first pressing Displeased records for their first two albums, it has been a while :lol:

Watershed sounds the most different to me between vinyl and CD with the former almost sounding like it was a different mix. Too bad I don't like that album :(

Hey man, if you don't like it, I'll gladly take it off your hands :D