The design thread

I would've loved having you in my classes jefferson. Most of the people I went to school with offered almost nothing during critiques.

Same for me in my studio courses. I always had that sense of superiority with my classmates, and tried to offset it by talking about their work as much as I could. But others were so damn afraid to speak up and provide any real input. Not on my work, but on anyone's.

But I've always looked for more peer to peer criticism.

Thanks, but I couldn't have given that critique when I was in school. I could (and probably would) have given you a loose opinion that wasn't very well articulated. 

Credit to past creative directors and design colleagues I've been fortunate enough to work with I guess. School can be a little too kid gloves, at least mine was. 

remember Mr. Balls I was talking about? He came in on Monday. Really fun guy. Told us that we all ‘design from our loins’. which I thought was awesome. I want to include that statement on my resume.

I'd work on refining that typography. There is a lot of competing emphasis going on that is wreaking a little havoc on readability and hierarchy. 

You've got your "Pilsner" label in a pretty bright primary color, as well as a container, and it is all caps, and you are using a another outlined primary. That is A LOT of emphasis for what I'd argue is the least important element. I'd entertain the notion that "Pilsner" is really important as it best describes the beer type, but my logic is people who've had it won't need that designator, and in most other scenarios, such as menus, it'll be included anyway. In retail scenarios it'll may also be included within additional packaging. I'm remove a lot of the emphasis that distracts from the other branding elements.  

Moving up to to the First Class, a lot of the same critique can apply. You've used all caps, on a path with two drop shadows, one in a color (yellow) and one using the same red within outlines. The emphasis seems more appropriate here, but I think the execution can be refined.

Hard to give feedback on the Private without knowing exactly what it is. Is that the brewery, or is this brewery's pilsner called "Private First Class". Is the image also beer specific, with each theoretical label having a different image, say a different illustration called "Paratrooper Porter" or something? A little more context and I could give more specific feedback on visual hierarchy. 

I probably wouldn't use as broad of a palette personally, I'd use one or two more neutral and pick one of those stronger colors to be my contrast. That might be a little subjective. Objectively, if you do want to keep all the colors in play for the brand I'd try to find a little more harmony. Reference attached below.

Last little bit, I'd personally reduce the size of the ABV and the volume and probably stack them both to achieve a little more symmetry. So 5.5% above ABV and 355 above ML. That may not work, just thinking out loud. 

Don't mistake this critique as a negative, this is a strong start and concept! Feel free to challenge any and all of that, would be happy to hear a rebuttal. 

refined_pallete.gif

EDIT: Just saw you were looking for opinions and not necessarily a critique. If you just wanted an opinion consider mine "Solid start."  

Wow, 

I'd work on refining that typography. There is a lot of competing emphasis going on that is wreaking a little havoc on readability and hierarchy. 

You've got your "Pilsner" label in a pretty bright primary color, as well as a container, and it is all caps, and you are using a another outlined primary. That is A LOT of emphasis for what I'd argue is the least important element. I'd entertain the notion that "Pilsner" is really important as it best describes the beer type, but my logic is people who've had it won't need that designator, and in most other scenarios, such as menus, it'll be included anyway. In retail scenarios it'll may also be included within additional packaging. I'm remove a lot of the emphasis that distracts from the other branding elements.  

Moving up to to the First Class, a lot of the same critique can apply. You've used all caps, on a path with two drop shadows, one in a color (yellow) and one using the same red within outlines. The emphasis seems more appropriate here, but I think the execution can be refined.

Hard to give feedback on the Private without knowing exactly what it is. Is that the brewery, or is this brewery's pilsner called "Private First Class". Is the image also beer specific, with each theoretical label having a different image, say a different illustration called "Paratrooper Porter" or something? A little more context and I could give more specific feedback on visual hierarchy. 

I probably wouldn't use as broad of a palette personally, I'd use one or two more neutral and pick one of those stronger colors to be my contrast. That might be a little subjective. Objectively, if you do want to keep all the colors in play for the brand I'd try to find a little more harmony. Reference attached below.

Last little bit, I'd personally reduce the size of the ABV and the volume and probably stack them both to achieve a little more symmetry. So 5.5% above ABV and 355 above ML. That may not work, just thinking out loud. 

Don't mistake this critique as a negative, this is a strong start and concept! Feel free to challenge any and all of that, would be happy to hear a rebuttal. 

EDIT: Just saw you were looking for opinions and not necessarily a critique. If you just wanted an opinion consider mine "Solid start."  

Wow, I seriously appreciate the critique. It really helped me develop my piece.

The idea is that there would be other beers from the "FUBAR Breweries" Being things like Lieutenant Lager or Bombardier Ale.

Here's my reworked image if anyone has some more comments or critiques.

auRwAEJ.png

Alright buds. So again, nice evolution. Looking sweet.

Let's continue with the type. The hierarchy is definitely an improvement, but I'm still not sold on the relationship between Private and First Class. I'm operating on the assumption that Private First Class is a Pilsner by Fubar Breweries, which I think is correct. That being the case, I'm not sure Private and First Class are visual linked enough to avoid confusion. You've got one in a container, one outside, it different faces and different colors. Now, there is a whole bunch of ways to solve for this without getting too prescriptive. You could rework your container shape to include Private in the same shape, a half-circle emerging from behind that banner is an obvious example. You could use the same typeface, or use the same color. You're already sort of implying a relationship with proximity, so adjusting some of the spacing could be enough as well.  Whatever. Point is, I'd work to clarify that they are one though, not two distinct pieces of information. 

Also know, if you work for me you'd catch all types of hell for not distressing the font yourself bud.

The other thing that isn't quite working for me yet is the bayonet. I like the idea behind adding tension by disrupting that shape, but it feels a little anemic as is. Bayonet be strong son. Can you play with the scale of the solider to have the helmet/head, bayonet and butt of the gun all punch out of that shape a bit. That might achieve that tension while offering a little more balance. Alternatively, maybe change the crop to get the bayonet shape back and let your first class banner breakout of the shape. I dunno, lots of options really. Star

What up with that leading for the ABV? Also, do you have to print this offset for real at any point? If not, you can make those little tidbits way smaller. I would anyway.

In hindsight we should have done this as a group project, would have like to seen all the designers on here take a crack at this label too. 

i have to make a ton of pie charts and graphs and stuff. anyone have any suggestions on how to make them look awesome in a short amount of time? are there free websites? ugh.

There is a lot of pretty strong web scripts for visualizing data (with jQuery and whatnot), but I'm not sure they work for your specific application. Most of them, in fact ALL of the ones I know, are meant for display on the web. I'm assuming you're looking for something that is more print-oriented. 

Have you tried FF Chartwell? https://www.scribbletone.com/typefaces/ff-chartwell

That is all I got. 

i just had to do a detailer. lots of bar graphs that they wanted fresh..etc.

took us 5 rounds. jfc.

like we gotta get the upper hand on edgy pie/bar charts so the competition doesnt get the drop on us.

hmm. i like the treatment on that bar chart describing blood loss in certain ticks compared to other animals that drink blood. im going to retain that information forever now!

like we gotta get the upper hand on edgy pie/bar charts so the competition doesnt get the drop on us.

hmm. i like the treatment on that bar chart describing blood loss in certain ticks compared to other animals that drink blood. im going to retain that information forever now!

So much this.  I'll stop what I'm doing to momentarily soak in the beauty of a genius chart, graph, layout, or other design aspect in print or online.  But beyond that, I can't say that I'd devote additional respect or attention to the data or company.

does anyone get hit up for random personal projects from coworkers?

i'm not exactly a designer...i work as a photo editor, but have done a decent amount of more design-heavy photo projects. this one girl i work with is a little...high maintenance and regularly hits me up for non-work related things (help re-designing her blog, help with her online dating profile pics, etc.). the one that really takes the cake, though, is the time she asked me to design (using company time) an invitation for her dog's birthday party/brunch. the only instructions she gave were to include her dog, wearing a party hat. naturally, i couldn't resist the opportunity to have a little fun...

10413691993_6642c905cc.jpg

of course, i sent her exactly what she wanted after the fact. still, was fun to see her freak out a little over my initial "concept"...  ;)

does anyone get hit up for random personal projects from coworkers?

i'm not exactly a designer...i work as a photo editor, but have done a decent amount of more design-heavy photo projects. this one girl i work with is a little...high maintenance and regularly hits me up for non-work related things (help re-designing her blog, help with her online dating profile pics, etc.). the one that really takes the cake, though, is the time she asked me to design (using company time) an invitation for her dog's birthday party/brunch. the only instructions she gave were to include her dog, wearing a party hat. naturally, i couldn't resist the opportunity to have a little fun...

10413691993_6642c905cc.jpg

of course, i sent her exactly what she wanted after the fact. still, was fun to see her freak out a little over my initial "concept"...  ;)

I'd buy that record.

An illustration submission for the 2014 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. 

ScreenShot2013-06-16at102232PM.png

So I just found out that my submission was chosen by the committee and that this poster will be used for PVGP 2014. T-Shirts, posters, brochures, billboards, etc. It's sort of the face for marketing the race. This is the biggest thing that I've been a part of involving design and I'm really excited about it!

So I just found out that my submission was chosen by the committee and that this poster will be used for PVGP 2014. T-Shirts, posters, brochures, billboards, etc. It's sort of the face for marketing the race. This is the biggest thing that I've been a part of involving design and I'm really excited about it!

so awesome! Congrats. B)

25kpq8n.png

so... this is a screen shot of the annual report I'm working on. I ran out of time, and this what i ended up doing for that guys beloved pie charts. he really likes it, I'm suprised.

I pretty much stole it from a design I saw on an infographic.
but yeah, how awesome are infographics. I love them.

25kpq8n.png

so... this is a screen shot of the annual report I'm working on. I ran out of time, and this what i ended up doing for that guys beloved pie charts. he really likes it, I'm suprised.

I pretty much stole it from a design I saw on an infographic.

but yeah, how awesome are infographics. I love them.

i'd say this is more of a doughnut chart than a pie chart ;)

seriously, though, looks great. definitely nailed the whole "fresh and awesome pie chart" business.