The design thread

thanks for the kind words about my pie/donut chart :)

here’s another page from the annual report i’m working on. tell me about the orangey color. I feel like I should tone it down? maybe 80% tint. maybe a different color....

xblduo.jpg

Thanks everybody! 

If it is the first time seeing your work up around the city or in public it'll be awesome. 

Not that it gets old, but the first time is a trip! Congrats man. 

It will be the first time. I freaked out hard enough when I saw a good friend of mine's billboards throughout town, haha. The event isn't until next July but it was great to find out today. I've been having a hard time getting motivated lately and I've been pretty down on myself design-wise lately so this was a very welcome boost/kick in the ass. 

thanks for the kind words about my pie/donut chart :)

here’s another page from the annual report i’m working on. tell me about the orangey color. I feel like I should tone it down? maybe 80% tint. maybe a different color....

xblduo.jpg

is this one-half of the page? is it a spread?

Thanks everybody! 

It will be the first time. I freaked out hard enough when I saw a good friend of mine's billboards throughout town, haha. The event isn't until next July but it was great to find out today. I've been having a hard time getting motivated lately and I've been pretty down on myself design-wise lately so this was a very welcome boost/kick in the ass. 

Take a lot of pictures so you can show flats and in context shots in your portfolio.

just got production proofs in for a cycling kit im designing for a bike shop i do work for, pretty happy w/ em since its my first time designing a kit.

cyn-kit-w.jpgcyn-kit-m.jpg

55784b3409c911e3bc2722000a1faee5_7.jpg

a couple bottle designs i did recently too, the Guinness one didnt turn out right though. the bottle was supposed to be darker w/ no black background.

I'm proud to say that today I just did work for my 400th client under the Flesh and Bone Design moniker.  I've been doing this for under 2 years, and learning every step of the way.  I still have a long way to go, but I am still completely overwhelmed with the amount of incredible people I've been able to work with up to this point, that have been a part of me discovering a side of me I never knew existed.  I'm excited to see what the future holds as I continue to set higher goals for myself.  I don't know how much longer I can get away with faking it though, sometimes I wish I had some classroom expertise under my belt, haha. 

I hope to hit 500 clients by March 2014.  Fingers crossed!

i'm guessing this would be as good a place as any to ask.

in december, i have an opening at a small shop in northampton. it's the first time i've ever had a cohesive body of work worth showing. because of that, i have no idea what i'm doing. 

i don't know how to promote this other than flooding my social media with it. i would like flyers to leave around town, give to coworkers, etc. but i can't design a flyer for shit. 

so yeah, any advice here would be wonderful.

also, ^congrats. seems like you've got a lot of momentum on your side.. harness the pma and stop the second guessing with your band's revival. 

i'm guessing this would be as good a place as any to ask.

in december, i have an opening at a small shop in northampton. it's the first time i've ever had a cohesive body of work worth showing. because of that, i have no idea what i'm doing.

i don't know how to promote this other than flooding my social media with it. i would like flyers to leave around town, give to coworkers, etc. but i can't design a flyer for shit.

so yeah, any advice here would be wonderful.

also, ^congrats. seems like you've got a lot of momentum on your side.. harness the pma and stop the second guessing with your band's revival.

I don't think I understand the question?

• 4 weeks later...

hardest to design for:

a. banks

b. drug companies

c. retail

d. bands

e. all the rest.

You mean most difficult clients right?

I mean banks are essentially just a multi-culutral stock photo hit it with a catchy slogan set in a modern sans. Well, slab-serif if you wanted to show you are down with the youf.