Quitting Buying Records

I keep waffling back and forth about having a collection for collections sake or having records that reflect my current musical taste. I have a lot of records that I don't really listen to that would fetch a good deal of money but there's always that little voice that says "you might want to listen to that someday" or "that album was so significant when you were in high school" but the fact of the matter is my tastes have evolved. For example I still appreciate Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge but when someone offers me $120 for it... That's enough for a few newer wants and let's face it, there will be a repress if I just HAVE to get it back. So currently I am on a "don't keep things just to keep them" kick and it's working out wonderfully. Using records to purchase more records has been pretty sweet for my bank account. I consider myself fiscally responsible enough to stop buying records if it begins adversely affecting my finances, but it's pretty sweet to not have to even worry about it. I'm sure soon I'll be posting in the Sellers Remorse thread, but for now this system is helping me keep a pretty decent list of stuff I can say mostly gets listened too pretty regularly.

Completely agree with all of this, minus the expectation to find myself in the Seller's Remorse thread. The truth is that it feels so good to whittle down the collection into what's relevant. There were some releases that I simply have no interest in hearing for a long, long while... and once I removed them from my iTunes, I realized that I no longer had any real attachment. Even if I'm selling an LP at base price (or even taking a hit on it), it still feels great to cross it off the collection, and become one step closer to a collection of music that is 100% relevant to my current tastes.

It also helps that a lot of my high-school / guilty pleasure records have been pretty easy to sell.

Completely agree with all of this, minus the expectation to find myself in the Seller's Remorse thread. The truth is that it feels so good to whittle down the collection into what's relevant. There were some releases that I simply have no interest in hearing for a long, long while... and once I removed them from my iTunes, I realized that I no longer had any real attachment. Even if I'm selling an LP at base price (or even taking a hit on it), it still feels great to cross it off the collection, and become one step closer to a collection of music that is 100% relevant to my current tastes.

It also helps that a lot of my high-school / guilty pleasure records have been pretty easy to sell.

I tend to agree when it comes to 'cutting the fat'. For a while I would just buy anything I heard a 30 second clip of and liked, many of those records are listed in my For Sale thread (link's in the sig!).