so that sound i hear inbetween songs...

sorry if this is a stupid question.

back in the day, i used to faintly hear the next song playing in the deadspace between songs when listening on a tape deck.  im not sure if this was an artifact of the recording process or a function of the tape being stretched or worn out or something with the deck.  anyway, the other day i had headphones on listening to an LP and heard it again...in the between song space i could hear what sounded like en echo of the upcoming song.  what causes this?  my thought is that the grooves on this disc must be pressed so close together that im hearing sound from the next groove over?  is this accurate?

Just found these on the topic:

I believe you may be hearing "tape print".

The music was originally recorded on tape, which was wound on a reel. The recording tape is a magnetic medium. When wound on the reel there are multiple layers - each in contact with the layer above and below. The blank tape takes a very, very slight imprint of the sound recorded on the layer adjacent to it. That slight imprint can sometimes be heard on vinyl records just before the actually intended recording.

I used to work with tape every day and noticed the phenomenon quite frequently on the tape and also on the lead in groove on vinyl records from time to time.

The pre-echo on vynilics comes from the matrix engraving. There is a first stylus which traces the groove, and a second sylus which prints the signal in this grove just after. The vibrations from the sound stylus are transmitted to the matrix and as a result this signal traces at a lower level on the groove maker stylus.

You will NEVER find this problem on 78 rpm's, because there was only one stylus which engraved the sound and the groove path at the same time.

EDIT: I forgot to precise that the engraving starts from center to the edge, this is the reason of the position of the echo BEFORE the main audio.

• 4 weeks later...

It could be a combination of print through and groove echo. It's unlikely to come from the tape unless the master was recorded or stored improperly. There are ways of minimizing this to the point where it's effect is negligible and basically non-existent. But it does happen.

More likely that it occurred at the cutting or plating stage. Very common if care is not taken. In that case, yes, you are hearing slight modulations occurring from the next groove.

This rarely happens on lathes with modern computerized disc cutting systems so it doesn't happen so much anymore, but it can still be introduced during plating.