Forcing people on the street to listen to music

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how to embed the video in the post.

What a dork!

You have to [bracket] and close the word YouTube. Nice promo concept, the audio was a bit low though. I usually hate when people do this to me, especially if they have dirty earbuds that have been inside several strangers prior. I was just listening to a video game podcast (I think it was Giantbomb) and they were talking about how big hip hop dudes will stand outside conventions like E3 and force scrawny nerds to listen to their demo CD then make them buy it from them for $10 hahaha.

Next time you guys do this hire HipsterAsFolk to muscle headphones onto people's heads!

Not trying to be a dick at all, I respect the passion you obviously have for your work. However, this is not the ticket to success. If you have to force people to listen to your music, your music probably isn't that great. This is a great way to make a few extra bucks for the gas tank on a tour, not a way to build a culture and a fan base that will buy every release you put out.

That's not to say that your intention was to spread your fanbase by doing this, but I assume it factored in a bit. There are countless bands who follow Warped Tour and do the very thing that you have done here, and I've never once heard of any band that took this approach going on to be successful. A buddy of mine sold 10,000 units following Warped Tour over the course of two years. I think he's currently unemployed and the band broke up.

Invest your efforts playing shows and creating material with substance rather than forcing it on people who will buy it simply because they feel bad not doing so or are uncomfortable. If your music is good, and you establish a reputation as a great live band, people will seek you out.

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been playing music in bands a long time, and honestly, I just had fun talking to people on the street and sharing a song with them.

Obviously it's not a road to success, but it was a pretty interesting day!

also, here's the sequel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7sY4G-7mEA