PC Gaming thread

BigSeth

With the PS4 just coming out and XBOXone to follow, me and my buddy got to talking about gaming and PC gaming got brought up. I've played nothing but consoles but PC gaming has really intrigued me and I'm thinking about making the jump. So I was hoping people could give their experiences, advice, reccomendations, and just talk about PC gaming in general.

i'm still a desktop PC supporter and i like getting inside and messing with all the hardware, but i feel like nowadays it's not really worth it unless you have the $$ to drop to make a power house PC. console games are getting more and more expansive in terms of graphics and mapping and i think it's just more convenient for most people to stick to them.

my computer is too puny to support newer PC games since about the time Star Craft 2 came out, but i still love playing them. despite all of the online woes, i still want to play the new Sim City. i'm also looking forward to South Park: The Stick of Truth (console and PC) because i think it might have a Maple Story (PC) feel to it.

Two blogs I like to follow for PC gaming news: (do yourself a favor and don't read the comments sections)

http://www.pcgamer.com/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/

There is a ton of exciting stuff happening in PC gaming right now- from Oculus Rift 3D gaming goggles to the Steam "console" and controller.

Also a great way to get games for cheap is humblebundle.com. Add your email to their mailing list. It is basically pay what you want ($1 minimum to get Steam keys) for the weeks bundle of games. Which are usually high quality.

It depends completely on what you need out of a new PC.

I built my own because I had extra money to spend, and I wanted to get something that could really handle gaming. But I knew it wouldn't be limited to that function like a console can be. (Excluding netflix)

Also, instead of buying a whole new system or console eveytime one is released, you can upgrade it based on what you need. So that keeps future costs low. The PS4 and Xbone are not backwards compatible out of the box right now, But when I upgraded my Graphics card I was confident that it will run my current library of games even better then how it was playing before. And the MOD community for a lot of games really increases the replay value. I still play Just cause 2!

As valve mentioned earlier, Humble Bundle offers some really good games for cheap and it goes to a good cause. You also have seasonal Sales to look forward to on Amazon, GOG, Origin, and Steam. Every sale is monitored by sites like reddit and cheapshark.com, so it is very easy to find games for a low price.

The versatillity of options for controller support and hardware support is another bonus. You can play games tailored specifically to how you enjoy playing them. Also the market is really opening up because more and more people are seeing how easy it is to get into. So more companies are making their AAA games available on PC.

Not everything is roses though. Setting up new hardware or upgrading software can prove very challenging. So far, I have been fortunate enough to have been able to troubleshoot and fix every issue I have encountered, on my own. I look at it as a learning experience. Also, the initial build of a good system will run you a minimum of double the cost of a new console. So if you don't have the money or the patience, don't bother.

Tl;dr Visit reddit.com/r/buidapc. There you can see what other people are doing. You can also create a post and get assistance in getting the most bang for your buck if you have some extra money to burn.

Most people I know who console game still have a PC so there still buying both.  Me I don't have any consoles, well none newer than N64 so every handful of years I build a new computer.  It's really not that much different then buying a new PC and console every handful of years. 

In the building standpoint I've come across far fewer problems then ever.  Go back about 10 years ago I was running into DOA mobo's all the time, or power supplys shitting the bed after 4 months.  Past 2 builds have been flawless, but I did TONS of research before I bit the bullet.  Waited until Newegg's New Years sale and saved about $200 in instant savings and about $150 in rebates.

But yea for PC gaming Steam is a necessity.  The sales are just incredible, especially when big titles hit 75% off. And the cloud storage is a life saver for your saves.

I like PC gaming because I feel like it lets me do more.  I appreciate having emulators on my wii, but they don't always function correctly for me.

Also, some of my favorite games are PC only, like Starcraft and Starcraft II.  Diablo 3 is finally available on console, but I honestly don't think it is as good as the PC version.

If you're looking for some good games, I'd recommend checking out the humble bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/

It only has a few hours left, but Arkham Asylum and City, as well as Scribblenauts make it totally worth however much you throw at it.

If you're looking for a more team-based multiplayer game, there's always DOTA 2 or League of Legends.  Kind of hate both, but always end up playing them somehow...

Also, Minecraft for the PC is fantastic.  If you end up having/getting it, I'd recommend getting some friends together to do Galacticraft

http://micdoodle8.com/mods/galacticraft

The last new console I bought was Dreamcast. PC gaming and as an entertainment center is fantastic and the idea that it is elitist or extremely expensive is a lie propagated to keep people loyal to consoles. There is a market for people who have to have the best PCs, and yes, those are extremely expensive. I've had two computers over the past 8 years, the first was just a stock PC that I paid $300 for and put an upgraded power supply and graphics card in for $100 total. I was able to run all of the current games with that PC at the time. My current PC is a kit that I paid $300 for and assembled myself so the components are all way nicer than if you were to pay for a stock PC at the same price. I'm able to play anything that is currently out with no issues at better settings than you would get with a console.

Like someone mentioned, Steam games are stupid cheap sometimes, and there are tons of steals like Humble Bundle and similar such things. I have nearly 200 games in my Steam collection and I highly doubt I've dropped over $250 on the whole thing. Another plus with PC is that from what I gather, the online gaming community is considerably better than on console.

I also have an HDMI that connects my computer to my TV so it acts as a second monitor. That means I can watch Netflix and Hulu and whatnot on the big screen just as you would be able to with a console.

One last note, Steam is currently investing a lot into it's Big Picture concept which is essentially an attempt to make the Steam experience more console-like and usable with only a controller.

Keep an eye on Tiger Direct and Newegg and Amazon for cheap PC stuff.