Epos Epic 1 Speaker Trouble - Help!

Hello,

Was playing a new record today and noticed a marked difference in the speaker output while walking by.  I had always kind of thought they were a little different sounding, but close enough that it wasn't noticeable.  But, now, the right hand side speaker is completely muffled and muddy.  I have tried switching the inputs on both the amp and the speakers, using different speaker wire, changing the banana plugs, multiple records.

It has got to be a problem with the right speaker, it sounds muffled and muddied towards how crisp the left side sounds. I don't even know where to being with trying to find and fix the problem. Is the only option in a situation like this trying to invoke the warranty?

This is a huge bummer :(

I've opened the face of it and everything looks okay cone-wise. But the poor sound quality is 100% coming from the bottom of the two inside "cones".  I am scared to unscrew it and see what is back there before hearing from some one.  I am not a guru at this, but this is undeniably a problem.

Thanks if anyone can help :\

For the record it's a pro-ject debut carbon through a Marantz pm6004 to epos epic 1s.

Hey rooks, a few steps to determine it's really the speaker at fault:

- use a digital source (CD player, mp3 player, phone). If the problem is the same, you can rule out the table as the source of the problem.

- exchange the speaker cables on the amplifier speaker outputs (the cables from the right speaker to the left speaker terminals on the back of your amp and vice versa (Not sure if that's what you were describing in the first post)). If the muffled sound switches sides, there's something wrong with your amp. If the muffled sound stays with the same speaker, then it's something else.

- check the back of the speaker. There are "bridges" between the bottom two and the upper two terminals. make sure the terminals are tightened securely so that the bridges don't move.

you need to go down the warranty route by the sounds of it, try the retailer you bought them from first and also try Epos again

If you have your receipt you have the date of sale so can prove if they are still in warranty, or if you can find the transaction in your bank or card statements that will help.

Would the back port being too close to the wall make it seem muddled? That was my first thought.

I've pulled it away from the wall to play with it, no matter where it is the sound quality coming from the right speaker sounds like a 128kbps rip.

you need to go down the warranty route by the sounds of it, try the retailer you bought them from first and also try Epos again

If you have your receipt you have the date of sale so can prove if they are still in warranty, or if you can find the transaction in your bank or card statements that will help.

Thanks allen, yeah I am going to contact Musicdirect today and see what they have to say. I think Epos changed their website but forgot to update their links, so I will try the email contact that was on my brochure, as well.

Alright - so music direct says to check the jumper plates on the back next to the binding posts, as you suggested slinch.  After that the only other possibility is a blow tweeter (which I think is unlikely as I haven't even turned the volume past 10 o'clock on the Marantz).  They said to unscrew it, switch the wiring and check if the problem persists.  Then, if it does, I get back in touch with them and they ship me out a replacement tweeter.

So, the good news is I'm covered, the bad news is I need to get in there and snoop around some more and I won't be back in my apartment until Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it is the tweeter and MD said they would have their US distro ship me a replacement.

Thought it was all good but after 7 days no contact I called MD today and they said they spoke to their distro and they are out of stock and need to order from overseas and that my replacement is "several weeks out".

I was too surprised and frankly disappointed at the time to fight them, and I really like the dude I've been talking to at MD, but seriously I paid 300 bucks for these speakers and they worked for 20 days and now I need to wait "several weeks" while the warranties on all my other pieces tick away without being used?

Should I call tomorrow and bitch? Is it worth trying to return it and get my money and buy speakers somewhere else?

I just want to listen to my brand new set up I just spent over a grand on, and it's proving impossible.

I expect it will all be fine and a couple of beers cures most aberrations of the mind I find, but if you want a little insurance and If you bought it all from the same place, It might be worth an email just politely laying it out with your concern about the warranty on your other items running down because of your extended wait for a replacement tweeter.

Even if they don't offer to extend your warranty you have something in writing to push up the line to the manufacturer if needed

• 1 month later...

If it's under warranty, why the fuck are they sending you a tweeter to install yourself?

What kind of backwards service is that? Take the speakers back. Tell them you've had a working set for 20 days out if the 'however long you've had them' and want a new pair. Or a pair of similar quality(not similar price) as a direct exchange.

Yeah I left them a message last night but I will call them again within the hour to discuss.

I mean... 44 days it took them to ship a tiny little tweeter that took 1 day to get to me, and the problem isn't fixed.

I'm really hoping I don't have to ship the whole set back to them but that's obviously going to be the only solution.  And they don't sell Epic 1s anymore as far as I remember, so it's going to be a case of switching them out...But I got these at a good price... so... I'm not feeling very good about it.

Also, of all the parts, the speakers are the only component I went open box because I wanted good speakers and didn't want to break the bank and this is the result :(

If it's under warranty, why the fuck are they sending you a tweeter to install yourself?

What kind of backwards service is that? Take the speakers back. Tell them you've had a working set for 20 days out if the 'however long you've had them' and want a new pair. Or a pair of similar quality(not similar price) as a direct exchange.

That's not an unreasonable request and good point Jase definitely emphasise the quality over price.