Basketball fans?

Phil Jackson is overrated. He always has the most dominant player in the league with a solid lineup on his teams. First Jordan, then Shaq and now Kobe. He's a good coach, but I hate it when people think he's the best coach ever. I think most good NBA coaches could win multiple championships with the teams that Phil has had.

Name me a coach who won championships with average players? Red Auerbach had Bill Russell. Riley had Showtime then Shaq and D-Wade. Rudy T had the Dream. Then of course you have Larry Legend, McHale - bastard -, Parrish, etc. On earlier Laker teams you had West and Chamberlain.

You don't win championships with at least one dominant player.

Every championship team has had good players, but all of Phil's teams just happened to have the most dominant player in the game at the time. I don't think Phil is a bad coach, I would just like to see him win a championship without the current best player in the league. I think the rings on Phil's fingers are more a reflection of Jordan and Shaq's greatness, rather than Phil's brilliant coaching. Most good NBA coaches could win championships with Jordan or Shaq in their prime. Riley even won one with an old Shaq. (I also think D-Wade is overrated, but that is another endless arguement).

Phil will go up a notch in my book if the Lakers win this year. The West is so good that whoever comes out on top will go up a notch.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name me a coach who won championships with average players? Red Auerbach had Bill Russell. Riley had Showtime then Shaq and D-Wade. Rudy T had the Dream. Then of course you have Larry Legend, McHale - bastard -, Parrish, etc. On earlier Laker teams you had West and Chamberlain.

You don't win championships with at least one dominant player.

Every championship team has had good players, but all of Phil's teams just happened to have the most dominant player in the game at the time. I don't think Phil is a bad coach, I would just like to see him win a championship without the current best player in the league. I think the rings on Phil's fingers are more a reflection of Jordan and Shaq's greatness, rather than Phil's brilliant coaching. Most good NBA coaches could win championships with Jordan or Shaq in their prime. Riley even won one with an old Shaq. (I also think D-Wade is overrated, but that is another endless arguement).

Phil will go up a notch in my book if the Lakers win this year. The West is so good that whoever comes out on top will go up a notch.

You're entitled to your opinion but name me a team that won a championship without the most dominant player in the league? I mean you could make the argument that Bill Russel wasn't more dominant than Chamberlain but that's VERY debatable. I mean Russel did beat Chamberlain most every time they met.

You're entitled to your opinion but name me a team that won a championship without the most dominant player in the league? I mean you could make the argument that Bill Russel wasn't more dominant than Chamberlain but that's VERY debatable. I mean Russel did beat Chamberlain most every time they met.

I guess there is not alot since only 6 different teams have won it since 1986, but here are a couple from the Phil Jackson era:

2005-06 Miami Heat

2003-04 Detroit Pistons

1989-90 Detroit Pistons

1988-89 Detroit Pistons

Isiah Thomas is considered one of the best point guards ever. I would also argue Shaq was a dominant player in 05-06. But lets be honest here, you've got 4 teams in the last 20 years, three of which I would argue had dominant players. Two of which I would argue had one of the best point guards ever.

If you argue that Shaq was dominant in 05-06, then that means that Phil Jackson did a terrible job of coaching in 03-04 when he only won 1 game in the finals against the Pistons with a team that had Shaq, Kobe and Karl Malone. That year was an epic fail for the Lakers.

Basically what my argument boils down to, is that I think Pat Riley, Greg Popovich, or even Larry Brown could have won as many championships as Phil Jackson if they were given the same players that Phil had. He is definitely a very good coach, I just have a hard time crowning him the best ever.

Shaq was dominant for the exact reasons the Lakers lost. He got all pissed the Lakers would dare trade him and dropped a bunch of weight. And if you think for a minute Larry Brown or Pop could handle Crazy Rodman then we'll just have to agree to disagree. As for Riley, I think you have to say the same thing about Riley as Jackson, he won the bulk of his championships with arguable the best team of all-time.

The recent Piston's championship team didn't have a dominant player. Alot of really good players, yes.

I think Utah matches up with the Lakers better than any other team in the league. They're just as skilled and just as big. I wouldn't say Gasol is a BIG WIN over Okur. Of course, the Jazz still have to get by the Rockets.

The recent Piston's championship team didn't have a dominant player. Alot of really good players, yes.

I think Utah matches up with the Lakers better than any other team in the league. They're just as skilled and just as big. I wouldn't say Gasol is a BIG WIN over Okur. Of course, the Jazz still have to get by the Rockets.

Sure, as well as any team but that doesn't mean they match up well in general. New Orleans or the Spurs are the teams that could cause issues. NO and SA because of Paul or Parker's quickness and NO because they have a good, physical inside presence.

WHOA HOW DO YOU GET PLAYOFF TICKETS FOR 18 BUCKS?!
Lack of support for the team. The season the Saints came back after Katrina, I was getting tickets for $10-$15 from Stub Hub. With the Hornets, no one cared about them until about 3 weeks ago so the team sells their upper deck seats for $12.

It's been great though for a sports addict like myself.

That's funny. On PTI yesterday Chris Paul was talking about how the fans are so awesome. I guess he was only talking about the last 3 weeks.

Once he started getting the MVP talks and the hornets were keeping up twith he west, people finally started to notice. The talks about them moving to Oklahoma also helped boost their popularity a bit. The same thing happened once the Saints got Bush and we had a decent season. It'll be interesting to see the fan support in the long run and Chris Paul's future since the owner fucked over some old Charlotte Hornets players by not giving them the pay they deserved .