Another turntable upgrade thread. I need opinions. Rega,uturn,Thorens, or project.

Sorry for yet another thread about this. But I never know if I should hijack a thread or start a new one.

I have a $400 budget and want to upgrade my AT LP120. Here's what I'm looking at so far.

Project Debut Carbon

Rega P1

Uturn audio Orbit

or a used Thorens TD 190-1 with Orofon 2m red mm phono cartridge for $200

The Thorens really threw a wrench into my plan. I know reviews have said its a really good tt for the most part, but not worth the new price of around $600. But at $200 does anyone think this is a good deal?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning toward the rega and Carbon, with the Carbon at a slight lead. I figure the switch to an acrylic platter and a better cartridge 6 months to a year from now would be fairly easy and not too much cash.

If I can still get a 10% or 15% off for the Carbon at musicians friend then its pretty much a done deal.

Thanks again guys. I am now a proud owner of a rega RP1! I found the only shop in a 30ile radius that sold high end audio equipment and they had Thorens, project and rega all for sale.

I listened to them all and while they all sounded great, the Rega definitely seemed to have more clarity and warmth the other two turntables I listened to.

Thanks guys. They offered the upgraded package for $195. I might upgrade later down the line, but honestly I listened to both the the upgrade and standard turntable without knowing which one was which and thought the 'grey' cartridge turntable sounded better. When he told me that was the 'standard' model I was ok with that. Haha

I have a rubber mat taken from my old technics. Surely that will be better than the felt mat that the rega comes with?

I have to be honest, I find all the comments suggesting immediate upgrades a bit weird. In that case, why not just buy a more expensive table in the first place? Upgrades can only go so far, and the whole idea of them is spending less in the beginning and adding more down the line when the funds allow. There's really no point to buying a cheaper table together with upgrades that cost almost as much.

How much did you pay for the RP1?

I have to be honest, I find all the comments suggesting immediate upgrades a bit weird. In that case, why not just buy a more expensive table in the first place? Upgrades can only go so far, and the whole idea of them is spending less in the beginning and adding more down the line when the funds allow. There's really no point to buying a cheaper table together with upgrades that cost almost as much.

Agreed, that way lies the LP12 route.

Upgrading a cheap or 2nd hand turntable as a bit of fun to see how far you can take it has always appealed and i've done a few over the years, but upgrading an expensive new turntable that should be the pinnacle of what the maker can do at that price doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I would much rather sell that turntable on and use the money as an upgrade path to try something new, or when funds allow in the case or the Rega line keep the arm, sell the rest of it and use the arm on something different.

Kannibal I went to a place called IQ home entertainment in Fairfax, VA. Really decent place and the guys really worked to,get me a good deal.

Slinch I paid $380 for the Rega. I honestly have no intention of upgrading everything on it anytime soon. The earliest would be next Christmas, maybe my birthday but I plan on keeping this as is right out of the box for quite some time.

I know that place. Good folks. They had them set up? It's been a while since I've been there, but I don't remember that they had a demo RP1, They did have a Rega set-up, now that I think about it, but it was out in the showroom by the TVs. Not a great place to demo. $380 is a great price though!

You should really upgrade the cartridge when you can. The stock OM5e is terrible and causes noticeable IGD.

I know that place. Good folks. They had them set up? It's been a while since I've been there, but I don't remember that they had a demo RP1, They did have a Rega set-up, now that I think about it, but it was out in the showroom by the TVs. Not a great place to demo. $380 is a great price though!

You should really upgrade the cartridge when you can. The stock OM5e is terrible and causes noticeable IGD.

Yeah they had a standard RP1 set up and an upgraded RP1 model set up in the speaker room. I'm not opposed to a upgrade in needle. Do you think the Ortofon 2m red would be a decent upgrade?

I'm more a fan of the Denon DL-110.

Ill definitely look into that. Honestly though after spending the day listening to vinyl on the new table, I'm so impressd with this table as is.Compared to my AT LP120, the clarity and warmth is truly awesome. I can't imagine how much better it would be with a better cartridge but I can't wait to find out. definitely upgrading but it probably won't be for a while. That price on comet supply is really tempting though.