A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Another month, another Nathan monthly challenge victory with 9.14 miles in 1 hour. The October challenge is Fastest 5 Miles, so get out there and see how fast you can do it!

Thread's been dead for a little bit, what's everyone been up to? Training for anything? Run any races lately?

I have to give a big shout out to Nathan for helping me with my training. I had a 10k and 10 Miler 2 weeks apart and he put together a 7 week training program that was awesome. I absolutely loved it! It was challenging but didn't kill me and I PRd in both races: 10k - 46:43 (7:31 pace) and 10 Miler - 01:17:33 (7:45 pace). Thanks man!

For the 10 Miler I was hopeful to place in the top 3 in my age group and after the race I was really happy with my time and how I performed. Then I looked at the results and realized I finished 5/7 in my age group (which included the overall winner). I was 36/306 overall but damn my age group was fast. Brought me back down to reality and will provide some extra motivation for next year haha

• 1 month later...

Ran the NYC Marathon. 

I tweaked my three-x surgically repaired knee at mile 11 and it blew up like a balloon. I finished but in 4:20:00 (ish). I thought I'd run a 3:40:00 and was on pace until that happened. This is my cross to bare with endurance sports: I never know if my knee will last. I have taken it mostly easy since with one short run and a short bike ride. I plan to jog tonight and start building again. Signed up for the NJ Marathon on May 1. I need to run one again and finish on my terms. I know I'll never be fast but I want to feel good at the end so let's try it again. 

Best to all out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Started December 1 on my new training program for racing next year. Fuck complacency. 

Feeling pretty good overall. Still not 100% from the end of my heavy season but I'm mixing in more bike and swimming again and my body is digging it. Hoping to do my first 25 mile week in a while this week and get climbing back to marathon shape for May 1. 

Might run the half in Philly again in early April if anyone else is planning to be there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to see you go Dave, goodluck this year!

How'd everyone do in 2015? Personally my goal was to hit 700 miles and I ran 703. I raced in 5 races (2 5k's, 10k, 10 miler and half) and PR'd in each of them. So it was a great year for me. My goal for 2016 is to run the Marine Corps Marathon this fall, which will be my first ever.

I signed up for the Coastal Delaware Half Marathon on April 24th in Dewey Beach, DE. That will be my first race this year. I highly recommend this race, if you're in the area you should consider running it. I ran it last year, which was the first year and it was awesome. It's a beautiful course, flat and a lot of fun. They had a price increase the first of the year but have a code going right now to reduce it back to last year's price. So jump on it now!

How'd you guys do in 2015, and what are your goals for 2016?

P.S. - I set up this year's yearly challenge and invited everyone who was in it last year. Are you guys interested in the monthly challenges? If so, I can create those again as well. The challenge can be found here:

www.endomondo.com/challenges/26541669

• 6 months later...

Yes, yes I did just bump an old, dead thread. Sorry (not really). Now that that's out of the way, I'm looking for some advice. I'm currently training for my first marathon and with the summer heat and humidity cranked up to max I'm wondering how you guys fuel during your long runs. During my half marathon training I would only take water with me for my 10 and 11 mile runs and I would take a gel and drink that 8oz bottle of water at the midway point and that was it. Now that I'm getting into longer (14-20 mile) runs, I'm sure that's not the best idea haha So what do some of you experienced marathon runners typically do? Thanks!