Would anyone be interested?

thefence2113

I had an idea while I was at work today. I thought it would be cool, once a month or maybe twice to have everyone chip in a dollar...and have a cutoff date. After which the money would be counted up and a name would be drawn out of the contributors. Winner could then choose a record for the same price as the money collected.

If this had been proposed or done already I apologize, but just thought it would be cool. Obviously I can't participate but I like doing fun things like this.

Does anyone see potential problems or ways it could be made better?

I know some people would make multiple accounts which is why I think there should be an amount of time someone should be a member in order to participate.

Just wanted to get some thoughts.

I guess you guys are right. I don't consider it a raffle though. It isn't so much a gamble as it is everyone chipping in for one person to buy a record. Where my wife works they do something similar for birthdays. If it isn't allowed it's cool. I just thought it would be fun.

Whatever is left over from one month's pot (if $35 is raised and someone buys a $25 record) could be recycled into next month's, increasing the incentive for people to enter. It's not technically a raffle, and I think it's a cool idea - as long as whoever is handling the money is responsible.

Whatever is left over from one month's pot (if $35 is raised and someone buys a $25 record) could be recycled into next month's, increasing the incentive for people to enter. It's not technically a raffle, and I think it's a cool idea - as long as whoever is handling the money is responsible.

this could work too.

And maybe. If the pot continues to run over, have a free month for all previous contributors.

Right, that may actually be a better idea. Maybe December (in honor of the holidays/saving some money on gifts), the raffle could be closed to new entries and be open to people who have contributed before, or something like that. It'd be another incentive for people to participate in the first place.

Edit: Of course there would be no donating in that month, it would just be a lottery using the leftover donations from previous months. 

I need to be given a green light before diving any deeper into this. If it's all good, I can start writing up some rules tomorrow. I want this to be a community effort so any good ideas for making rules to prevent problems and keep everyone safe would be great before I start typing it all up.

Right, that may actually be a better idea. Maybe December (in honor of the holidays/saving some money on gifts), the raffle could be closed to new entries and be open to people who have contributed before, or something like that. It'd be another incentive for people to participate in the first place.

Edit: Of course there would be no donating in that month, it would just be a lottery using the leftover donations from previous months.

the leftover from each month could go into a separate pot which would accumulate over an entire year and be used for one big drawing at Christmas. That could get a little difficult though but could also be really awesome. But if like $10 is leftover each month, for example, in December someone could get a $110 item or something. I don't know. Just brainstorming.

the leftover from each month could go into a separate pot which would accumulate over an entire year and be used for one big drawing at Christmas. That could get a little difficult though but could also be really awesome. But if like $10 is leftover each month, for example, in December someone could get a $110 item or something. I don't know. Just brainstorming.

I think this would be the way to go. It'd take some effort but the payoff really would be cool. Let's get some VC staff in here to see if it's okay!